Nightmare first crash_Vision+_ Whats the problem?

Reaction score
Hello all.

First let me introduce myself as a newbie here. My name is Steve. I perform property surveys, which is why I purchased the Phantom Vision+. Yesterday was my first test flight at a high school parking lot, and everything went fine until I noticed I kept losing connection at around 500 feet. Everything was charged, 6 satellites, was gps calibrated, was in line of sight, installed and used the DJI Booster App, and even velcroed a USB power pack to the back of the remote to keep continual power feed to the Iphone and range extender, and yet it would lose connection at 500 feet with no obstructions. So, I quit and brought it home disappointed. Then, today I had a property to inspect and survey, so I thought I would take some aerial photos for the report.

The picture attached is the last aerial of my phantom before it lost connection, went haywire, and got lost in the woods on the opposite side of the river where I was on the shore. At this point in the sky it was around 540 feet distance and completely in line of sight. If you look closely at the shore, you can zoom and see a blue barrel and then me just to the left of it. There's a silver suburban about 50 feet up and right from where I'm standing. Anyhow, as soon as I saw it fall from the sky, I took my shirt off, was wearing shorts, and went into the river across it and up a 20 foot cliff on the other side. As soon as I saw what was on the other side, my heart sank as all I saw was a jungle of trees and 8 ft tall thorny weeds everywhere. I couldn't see anything, but I could hear the phantom's motors going full speed far away. I should have kept my shirt on, as I was stung several times by wasps and other bugs as well as scrapes from thorny branches. When I finally found it about 60 yards deep, it was going full speed except for two rotors stuck in brush, and it wanted to return home. I almost panicked because I got lost in all that brush and the sun was at 12 high, so I couldn't get my bearings and the bugs kept stinging me in the humid heat. I finally calmed down and found they way I came in from the bent vegetation. So, now I'm home and really pissed off and body sore from what just happened. I want to assume I have been missing something very simple. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Also, another reason I purchased this model is because I read somewhere that Waypoint works well with this unit, yet now I can't find any videos of anyone using Waypoint with Vision+.

I appreciate for your feedback.

Re: Nightmare first crash

Sorry to hear about the crash and the epic rescue! The reason you haven't found much about waypoints and the Vision or Vision Plus is that the update to the app to provide waypoints was released just a few hours ago. The user manual has been updated with instructions on using waypoints.

As to why you can't get more than 500ft... is that in altitude or distance away? What happens at 500ft, does the aircraft lose control signal and go into return to home or do you just lose the video signal?

Re: Nightmare first crash

Pull_Up said:
Sorry to hear about the crash and the epic rescue! The reason you haven't found much about waypoints and the Vision or Vision Plus is that the update to the app to provide waypoints was released just a few hours ago. The user manual has been updated with instructions on using waypoints.

As to why you can't get more than 500ft... is that in altitude or distance away? What happens at 500ft, does the aircraft lose control signal and go into return to home or do you just lose the video signal?

Thanks for the reply. I still don't understand what you mean about waypoint. Does it exist now for Vision+ or not? Does it work with/without the ground station? I have an ipad and have downloaded the app, but haven't bothered going further.

As for the distance, my phone app gave me that distance. I cant remember the altitude, but assume maybe 100 feet. When I was at the high school parking lot yesterday, I was at 40 feet altitude and 500 feet straight line distance to the other side of the parking lot, but only lost connection momentarily until I regained connection, and I took control and brought it back. Today, my screen gave me a "lost connection" and I lost FPV, and then quickly started shaking side to side and plummeted until it got lost behind the trees below.

On another note, my videos don't look anything near as good as others on youtube, even after I adjust the camera settings to their suggestions. I had to edit the horizon on the picture I attached in Photoshop even after I took it off wide view.

I would return your Phantom for a refund or exchange before you lose it completely. You were very lucky that it did not fall in the river. You should be able to test the range without flying it and demonstrate that it is not working correctly. Why take another chance with a defective product?

syotr said:
I would return your Phantom for a refund or exchange before you lose it completely. You were very lucky that it did not fall in the river. You should be able to test the range without flying it and demonstrate that it is not working correctly. Why take another chance with a defective product?

Thanks, although that's not the news I wanted to hear. I'd hate to have to box everything up again and have to take it to UPS, and then order another unit that may be messed up as well. I'm starting to rethink whether this thing is worth the hassle for our business. Don't get me wrong, once in the air, I see the potential, but it's also time consuming and expensive, which brings me to another factor of theft or robbery. I carried a pistol with me when on this trip.

Mori55 said:
Pistol ? Where the hell are you flying ?

Don't you see the picture? I also do surveys in urban ghetto areas sometimes and carry electronic equipment, cameras and laptop in my truck. I'm an easy target, soo.

I had the same issue with my Vision swapped it for a 2 with FPV and it flies much better and never an issue since

Sent from my LG-D803 using Tapatalk

Stevo said:
syotr said:

Thanks, although that's not the news I wanted to hear. I'd hate to have to box everything up again and have to take it to UPS, and then order another unit that may be messed up as well. I'm starting to rethink whether this thing is worth the hassle for our business. Don't get me wrong, once in the air, I see the potential, but it's also time consuming and expensive, which brings me to another factor of theft or robbery. I carried a pistol with me when on this trip.

A gun toting Phantom Pilot.... Where you filming, Brownsville NYC?

Phantom_Menace66 said:
Stevo said:
syotr said:

A gun toting Phantom Pilot.... Where you filming, Brownsville NYC?

Is that what you got out of my post? The one statement that I carried or carry a pistol to certain areas? Someone who uses their 2nd amendment constitutional right to protect himself and property in dangerous areas is an issue for you? Not everyone works or plays in safe family areas like you do. I live in the real world. I dare you to go to any low income urban area and pull out your quad and not get robbed. I think you know that though. You just have a problem with people with guns. Lame...

" I live in the real world."

Thank goodness that world is a world away from most, that's some of what I got out of it. You do seem quick to take the angry side of replies, you need to shift to a happy place :)

steveeds said:
" I live in the real world."

Thank goodness that world is a world away from most, that's some of what I got out of it. You do seem quick to take the angry side of replies, you need to shift to a happy place :)

Haha, whatever Dude. You need to put that pipe down and wake up to the real world. Either that, or you're a young kid who hasn't experienced true life and hasn't been anywhere. I'm not angry. I just talk straight like a man. If you actually read my post without bias political agenda, you'd take that I use the drone for business, not pleasure, and I work in hazardous areas. But I think you know that. You just like to troll. Have a good day Troll Boy

Sry Stevo, I didn't mean to offend you, we don't have guns here so I couldn't identify with that view. I'm old, to old I think.

I
s that what you got out of my post? The one statement that I carried or carry a pistol to certain areas? Someone who uses their 2nd amendment constitutional right to protect himself and property in dangerous areas is an issue for you? Not everyone works or plays in safe family areas like you do. I live in the real world. I dare you to go to any low income urban area and pull out your quad and not get robbed. I think you know that though. You just have a problem with people with guns. Lame...
[/quote]

Kinda sensitive about it aren't you? Have I struck a chord? This is certainly not the correct forum in which to begin a debate into ones constitutional rights or people who have a low SES (socio-economic status). Just because people live in low income/high crime rate areas doesn't mean they're all out to rob you. Some people have no choice but to live in less than ideal suburbs due to lack of gainful employment opportunities.... They make the best of what they have.
Anyways, I'm off to fly my Phantom out in public amongst the plethora of people out to rob me. But I think I'll risk it and leave the artillery at home....

steveeds said:
Sry Stevo, I didn't mean to offend you, we don't have guns here so I couldn't identify with that view. I'm old, to old I think.

No problem. I live in Texas where people have the right to carry them. I don't carry one everywhere I go because there's no need to UNLESS I'm somewhere obviously risky such as the lonely place I was in the picture. There were some homeless people camping down the river and if something happens, the police are too far away to protect you if the **** hits the fan.

Phantom_Menace66 said:
I
s that what you got out of my post? The one statement that I carried or carry a pistol to certain areas? Someone who uses their 2nd amendment constitutional right to protect himself and property in dangerous areas is an issue for you? Not everyone works or plays in safe family areas like you do. I live in the real world. I dare you to go to any low income urban area and pull out your quad and not get robbed. I think you know that though. You just have a problem with people with guns. Lame...

Kinda sensitive about it aren't you? Have I struck a chord? This is certainly not the correct forum in which to begin a debate into ones constitutional rights or people who have a low SES (socio-economic status). Just because people live in low income/high crime rate areas doesn't mean they're all out to rob you. Some people have no choice but to live in less than ideal suburbs due to lack of gainful employment opportunities.... They make the best of what they have.
Anyways, I'm off to fly my Phantom out in public amongst the plethora of people out to rob me. But I think I'll risk it and leave the artillery at home....[/quote]

If it's not the correct forum to debate, then don't bring up the subject. You go ahead and do what you do, and think the way you do. Good luck to ya, Buddy.

If it's not the correct forum to debate, then don't bring up the subject. You go ahead and do what you do, and think the way you do. Good luck to ya, Buddy.[/quote]

Not the correct forum in which to debate ones constitutional rights or socio-economic status. Why would you even include mention of a fire arm in a post anyway? Trying to goad people into commenting?

One of the most common errors among inexperienced pilots is antenna orientation. Read the manual and you may get twice the range.

Stevo said:
Haha, whatever Dude. You need to put that pipe down and wake up to the real world. Either that, or you're a young kid who hasn't experienced true life and hasn't been anywhere. I'm not angry. I just talk straight like a man. If you actually read my post without bias political agenda, you'd take that I use the drone for business, not pleasure, and I work in hazardous areas. But I think you know that.

+1000 ;)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl