Night Flights

If you are not doing night flights, you are literally only enjoying 50% of the thrills possible with your P3. I can go up 500 ft and fly 4,000 ft away and still see my P3.
HOVTECH--I'm not sure what part of the world you are in. In the United Sates, too many people are getting drones and not knowing the rules and regulations of the US Airspace System and the FAA regulations regarding drones (unmanned civil aircraft). Right now, we are not permitted to fly at night in the US. It only takes one person to mess it up for everyone---don't be that one person!

I don't recall reading that 'suggestion'
That's the problem. People think this is a toy and not an aircraft. It is classified as an Unmanned Aircraft, and falls subject to all FAA rules and regulations. If people would educate themselves before purchasing and operating a drone, we wouldn't have so many restrictions being placed upon us.

Your P3’s really have much better low light capability than my old junk. Ashamed to say - P1/Hero2, haha…

Is the vignette effect employed or is it something to do with P3 camera?

I see what you mean about the directional lighting. It looks very good once you turned towards a bit more sunset light, the business lighting probably also helped. Thanks for sharing that.

actually that is a stock phantom vision plus v2 running at 720/60.. raw video
No problem , yea it seemed to be a good mix of lighting from sky and lights.

I would love to fly at night, if DJI or any third party can make silent propellers or coat the current ones with decibel killers!

This might be “messed up” by I tend to use P1 noise/sound as altimeter. It think I’ve read around 400’ you can’t hear it or just barely. At least that’s how my ears calibrate.

Judging altitude is tricky but the more you can do it with consistent reference the better you'll do with much less reference.

On topic - local flying club posts their field hours 24/7. I seriously doubt that's in conflict with FAA as these folks always seem to do things by the book.

Reactions: sohail99
snerd, I wish I knew how to post the screen shot I took but here in the UK it's illegal to fly drones at night

snerd, I wish I knew how to post the screen shot I took but here in the UK it's illegal to fly drones at night
Yes, I know it's illegal across the pond, but as far as I know, there are no regulations against it in the States.

Reactions: Ti22
I'm sure I'll be able to get some great footage JUST as the sun goes down lol

This whole fear mongering of "it's people like you who don't read and follow the rules are why new rules get placed" is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. So, you're saying if they make more rules, suddenly people will start reading them? That's actually the exact opposite.
For example, if a products terms and agreements are three short sentences, versus 150 pages, which one is Joe Schmoe gonna read?
Exactly....
Carry on. No victim, no crime. ✌

This might be “messed up” by I tend to use P1 noise/sound as altimeter. It think I’ve read around 400’ you can’t hear it or just barely. At least that’s how my ears calibrate.

Judging altitude is tricky but the more you can do it with consistent reference the better you'll do with much less reference.

On topic - local flying club posts their field hours 24/7. I seriously doubt that's in conflict with FAA as these folks always seem to do things by the book.

I too use the sound/noise to judge height, but I'm kinda afraid to wake the neighbors up!
They might become irritated/scared and call the cops due to the noise! :( (As ambient sound level at night is very low and the phantom's sound will definitely stand out!)

I have a Phantom FC40 and I know that its stock props make much less noise compared to 9443 and 9450. I'll make a few test flights with that to assess noise levels.

Maybe I'll try wrapping the Phantom's arms with dynamat or something to silence the vibration induced sounds etc.!

As stated before these are proposed and at the very end it is stated that they do not apply to model aircraft. So unless you are using the aircraft for business purposes this proposal would not apply. Also the 5 mile from airport can be clarified with the keep out cone that dji has on their site. After the 1.5 mile total exclusion there is a 35 to 400 foot ramp out the remaining 3.5 miles. This allows for approx 250 ft at 4 mile and 200 ft at 3.5 miles. Of course you should still contact the tower to confirm. 400 ft is listed as the max altitude for model aircraft.

storm coming off the gulf to Florida

IMG_4632.JPG

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav