Night Flights

Nice, but it is this kind of bragging about how high you are flying (500ft). That makes the FAA put more and more restrictions on Hobbyist that obey the laws (400ft). Thanks for ruining it for us. Soon we will be like Canada

Canada, did someone mention Canada? And in the same paragraph as restrictions of flying. Man alive, you guys are cruel, and love handing out unusual punishment to us, the innocent... ;-)
Why did I buy the Phantom 3, if to be troubled by law enforcement personnel and those guys they call Peace Officers?
Hopefully flying at night won't bring any attention to me, from the police heli...

They will never take me alive... Hahaha

RedHotPoker

It's an interesting time we live in. I suspect licensing drone operators will eventually unfold. I think this will be a good thing. The P3 is not a toy.

This is my third night flight and my first video posting will get better as i move to more open area and down by the water, plus i need to get the 1080p going better, I think i need a faster hard drive to edit in full hd, right now i'm running mid 10 macbook pro with final cut express, Any suggestions would be helpful

If you are not doing night flights, you are literally only enjoying 50% of the thrills possible with your P3. I can go up 500 ft and fly 4,000 ft away and still see my P3. Your LOS increases by a factor of 5 or 6. It looks so cool as it streaks across the sky at night. The red lights blinking and looking so much like a UFO. I have made the local newspaper. Enjoy a night flight . It is no harder to do than a day flight, actually easier.

I cover up the lights with electrical tape. You get better video and its more stealthy.

Night flights are great, last night I took some photos of the annual fireworks from a distance of six miles away at 375 feet in the air. Over the cattle ranches in my area allows me to fly just about anywhere at night without obstructions to be concerned with.

The problem as I see it with flying at night is "The **** thing stands out like a turd in a punch bowl!!" Even with the front arm lights off the rear status light can be seen for a mile, makes you much more obvious.

Last edited:
This is my third night flight and my first video posting will get better as i move to more open area and down by the water, plus i need to get the 1080p going better, I think i need a faster hard drive to edit in full hd, right now i'm running mid 10 macbook pro with final cut express, Any suggestions would be helpful

New hard drive will make a huge difference. With the drive below my machine averages 325 megabytes per second read speed.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OBRE5UE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

I use the Samsung EVO 500GB drives for OS and for video. I designed my whole computer system around the Black Magic Intensity. 12 Gig ram, water cooled i7-990 processor clocked at 4.25 Gigahertz, 7 terrabytes of hard drives. It can consume transcode and spitout video to Blu-Ray very nicely.

Last edited:
The problem as I see it with flying at night is "The **** thing stands out like a turd in a punch bowl!!" Even with the front arm lights off the rear status light can be seen for a mile, makes you much more obvious.

Not that I would do this but a couple strips of black electrical tape will mute the best of nav lights. Even 90% covered it will probably be seen for a couple thousand feet. Not that I would know, you know.

Not that I would do this but a couple strips of black electrical tape will mute the best of nav lights. Even 90% covered it will probably be seen for a couple thousand feet. Not that I would know, you know.
My point was that if you can see it so can others, and busy bodies are more apt to report a 'UFO' buzzing around at night.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj