Nexus 7 Bricked By Lollipop update

Reaction score
Having several Android devices - all with OS > 4.2, and the only one that the Pilot app runs on is my tiny phone, I contact DJI support. I'm essentially told, the app support the Android device, not the OS. So, I'm relegated to buying something on the supported list - which I do last Friday. I bought the Nexus 7 which is recommended.

Then this come in this morning, about the updates bricking that device.

What a mess. DJI should be ashamed of themselves for building an app the supports devices instead of the operating systems in the first place [not so with apple stuff, just Android!].

I know this isn't in their control but to me, this is just the icing on the cake for the costs associated in getting a P3 Pro.

Big time bummed out now!

Having several Android devices - all with OS > 4.2, and the only one that the Pilot app runs on is my tiny phone, I contact DJI support. I'm essentially told, the app support the Android device, not the OS. So, I'm relegated to buying something on the supported list - which I do last Friday. I bought the Nexus 7 which is recommended.

Then this come in this morning, about the updates bricking that device.

What a mess. DJI should be ashamed of themselves for building an app the supports devices instead of the operating systems in the first place [not so with apple stuff, just Android!].

I know this isn't in their control but to me, this is just the icing on the cake for the costs associated in getting a P3 Pro.

Big time bummed out now!

Some got bricked...not mine...7ii working fine. But yes some droids have additional hands mixing the updates..take att they put there own flavor to it. The nexus line is the safest bet. Sorry to hear that...try and do a reset on your device.

You may have some better luck using a utility like KIES even though its not a Samsung device, perhaps even ODIN ? ( that may also be solely for cellphone recovery though)

Edit: I'm seeing that a lot of users are reporting that their logic boards and hardware is shot. Asus is offering to repair out of warranty devices for $200 and Google will only help if you bought form their Google store.

Sorry about the crappy turn of events brother.

Your device is probably soft bricked, get nexus root kit: http://www.wugfresh.com/nrt/
, download the proper stuck firmware for your device LTE or FLO (nexus tool kit can also do that automaticly) :
https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

please make sure you extensively read and understand how to use this toolkit in order to restore your device, because if you try any option blindly you can hard-brick your device...
By sharing this i don't accept responsibility for damage caused to any device...

Regards

p/s : I use nexus 7 2013, OC at 1890Mhz and Gpu at 489Mhz, CleanRom 1.7, and Elementalx-N7-1.8, no issue so far...Antutu Benchmark score 32815

Last edited:
You may have some better luck using a utility like KIES even though its not a Samsung device, perhaps even ODIN ? ( that may also be solely for cellphone recovery though)

Edit: I'm seeing that a lot of users are reporting that their logic boards and hardware is shot. Asus is offering to repair out of warranty devices for $200 and Google will only help if you bought form their Google store.

Sorry about the crappy turn of events brother.
Appreciate that. It's just unreal the way this has gone.

As much as I'd like to point a finger at DJI for this mess - this one isn't their fault.

My solutions is to suck it in and just return the Nexus, buy an iPad Air and be done with it.

Now - if you'll excuse me - I'm going to find a quiet spot with my empty wallet in hand - and cry a while...

127.png

Reactions: TBDGR
Wow, this is disappointing. I also just purchased a Nexus 7 (about an hour ago, in fact!). Should I cancel the order and get an nVidia Shield instead? The Shield looks good but the cost is almost double.
Three of mine won't. So maybe. That's my big complaint with DJI - the Tabs I have are blocked from doing the update on the pilot app, even though the requirement is 4.1 or above, the oldest I have runs > 4.2 and still can't run the update - message is it requires OS 4.1 or above. The app is DEVICE dependent, not OS dependent. Had I known that up front, I wouldn't be as frustrated as I am with DJI.

Anyway, for me, when I get the iPad - it BETTER be solved or DJI and I are going to have a huge problem.

Three of mine won't. So maybe. That's my big complaint with DJI - the Tabs I have are blocked from doing the update on the pilot app, even though the requirement is 4.1 or above, the oldest I have runs > 4.2 and still can't run the update - message is it requires OS 4.1 or above. The app is DEVICE dependent, not OS dependent. Had I known that up front, I wouldn't be as frustrated as I am with DJI.

Anyway, for me, when I get the iPad - it BETTER be solved or DJI and I are going to have a huge problem.

Well, I just cancelled my Nexus 7 order to do some more homework.

I am looking at the iPad Mini 2. Note that (unfortunately) iPads do not include GPS unless you get the cellular versions.

Your device is probably soft bricked, get nexus root kit: http://www.wugfresh.com/nrt/
, download the proper stuck firmware for your device LTE or FLO (nexus tool kit can also do that automaticly) :
https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

please make sure you extensively read and understand how to use this toolkit in order to restore your device, because if you try any option blindly you can hard-brick your device...
By sharing this i don't accept responsibility for damage caused to any device...

Regards

p/s : I use nexus 7 2013, OC at 1890Mhz and Gpu at 489Mhz, CleanRom 1.7, and Elementalx-N7-1.8, no issue so far...Antutu Benchmark score 32815

My antutu on my shield is 56588. Love this tablet!

You do realize this has nothing to do with DJI, right? I have 3 x 2013 N7 devices, two of them running stock 5.1.1 and one rooted running CleanROM 6.0 (5.1.1) with no problems. As @envisionabove has stated I would buy 3 more in a heartbeat if needed. Electronics fail, if you don't expect it to happen you're in for a world of hurt.

I bought a 2013 nexus 7 and updated to lollipop on day one.
It had already synced with my other tablet so not exactly a barebones set up.
You don't need update it just asks if you want to and you can decline.
I have it on the other tablet and phone so seemed sensible to have them all the same.
The Nexus 7 is less than half the cost of the shield and does the job just as well.unless you are worried about 0.02 seconds more lag.

You do realize this has nothing to do with DJI, right? I have 3 x 2013 N7 devices, two of them running stock 5.1.1 and one rooted running CleanROM 6.0 (5.1.1) with no problems. As @envisionabove has stated I would buy 3 more in a heartbeat if needed. Electronics fail, if you don't expect it to happen you're in for a world of hurt.
Well, kinda. As noted above, DJI isn't responsible for an OS update that bricks the phone/tablet, whatever.

However, they ARE responsible for stating an OS level as a minimum on a device, then after several devices fail to update, THEN they state that the devices aren't supported. That in spite of the fact that one of those devices is a 2014 device with an OS above the required.

BTW, When I first contacted DJI about the problem, they told me to continue to try to update and because I'm a moron, I wasted a lot of time doing so before they finally told me the DEVICE isn't supported.

For that DJI IS responsible.

One last note Sir, I've been in the computer industry since I entered the US Military in 1966, and am President of PC Solutions, Inc., founded in 1986 - following my retirement. Trust me when I tell you I understand about electronics. But thanks for your observation and admonishment about electronics.

Steve Aikens

Last edited:
Yeah.I concur. It's not like you hardware bricked it. Just recover the ROM. Nothing the pilot does can hardware brick it..

However, they ARE responsible for stating an OS level as a minimum on a device, then after several devices fail to update, THEN they state that the devices aren't supported. That in spite of the fact that one of those devices is a 2014 device with an OS above the required.

For that DJI IS responsible.

One last note Sir, I've been in the computer industry since I entered the US Military in 1966, and am President of PC Solutions, Inc., founded in 1986 - following my retirement. Trust me when I tell you I understand about electronics. But thanks for your observation and admonishment about electronics.

Let's look at this objectively Steve - you're problem is with the Nexus, not DJI. There are a lot of people in these forums running varied versions of Android (4.4.4+) with the Pilot app successfully. You, my friend, are the unfortunate recipient of a faulty Nexus 7 (unless you're talking about a 2012 edition which, isn't supported).

Ultimately DJI isn't responsible for your choice and then receiving something bad out of their control - lets be a bit more realistic about where to cast blame. My guess is if you have your N7 replaced you'd have a completely different experience.

Finally, no offense sir and thank you for your service, but longevity in the computer industry generally is non-indicative of current expertise nor is it any sort of metric for actual skill set. Again, no offense but I likely have more current experience that is directly applicable to modern computing environments. What I'm saying is you're an outlier comparative to the majority of N7 users. Casting blame in the wrong direction is only general misdirection in my opinion.

Go to xda developers forum and they can help you unbrick it. Shouldn't be a huge issue.
This is a bran new device.
Let's look at this objectively Steve - you're problem is with the Nexus, not DJI. There are a lot of people in these forums running varied versions of Android (4.4.4+) with the Pilot app successfully. You, my friend, are the unfortunate recipient of a faulty Nexus 7 (unless you're talking about a 2012 edition which, isn't supported).

Ultimately DJI isn't responsible for your choice and then receiving something bad out of their control - lets be a bit more realistic about where to cast blame. My guess is if you have your N7 replaced you'd have a completely different experience.

Finally, no offense sir and thank you for your service, but longevity in the computer industry generally is non-indicative of current expertise nor is it any sort of metric for actual skill set. Again, no offense but I likely have more current experience that is directly applicable to modern computing environments. What I'm saying is you're an outlier comparative to the majority of N7 users. Casting blame in the wrong direction is only general misdirection in my opinion.
Maybe a read from my first post would be in order.

Never said DJI was responsible for the Nexus issue. In fact, clearly stated it was NOT their responsibility a few times in this thread.

Anyway, not offended at all. You didn't read the entire thread so you mis-understood the issue I have with DJI. Not the first mis-understanding I've ever had, and I doubt seriously that it's the first for you.

Please take time to read my comments from the first post so you understand what's going on here. Right now, you're missing it - a lot....;)

My posts are numbers 1-7-8-17, and this one. Reading comprehension.

Have a great day.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31