Nexus 7 Bricked By Lollipop update

Having several Android devices - all with OS > 4.2, and the only one that the Pilot app runs on is my tiny phone, I contact DJI support. I'm essentially told, the app support the Android device, not the OS. So, I'm relegated to buying something on the supported list - which I do last Friday. I bought the Nexus 7 which is recommended.

Then this come in this morning, about the updates bricking that device.

What a mess. DJI should be ashamed of themselves for building an app the supports devices instead of the operating systems in the first place [not so with apple stuff, just Android!].

I know this isn't in their control but to me, this is just the icing on the cake for the costs associated in getting a P3 Pro.

Big time bummed out now!

Your Quote sir ( I'm relegated to buying something on the supported list - which I do last Friday. I bought the Nexus 7 which is recommended.

Then this come in this morning, about the updates bricking that device. )

Okay you bought the Nexus 7 Great! a fantastic piece of hardware. Google is the Android developer and the Nexus 7 was made under the eye of google. Okay that's done.
Okay have you turned your nexus 7 on yet and powered it up? You fire off a link to what some are saying X version 5.1.1 bricked there device's.
Okay I have two Nexus 7 II's both running version 5.1.1. and they are working fine. and the dji pilot app is running fine.
Okay did you try and download and install the app from the play store or the DJI site?
Okay the one on the play store forget about. Get the one from the DJI Link Here. ( http://www.dji.com/product/phantom-3/download ) Download the app and install a windows will come up saying not recommended ignore those and install.

I see no place that YOUR nexus 7 is bricked just a news article that seemed to make you think your's will be too and some have not had success.
There are Millions of nexus 7's out in the world. A few for some reason had trouble. who knows why?

So from above IS YOUR DEVICE BRICKED? or NOT?

If not it sounds like we can easily help you out.

Your Court and ball Sir....

Are you even reading the posts I suggested?

For the rest of you reading this - I apologize for wasting your time.

DJI is reporting the supported devices and disavowed anything else. Not because they don't work but because that only tested specific devices. You wont get any help from DJI. My original Nexus 7 2012 works but but is not supported. The app needs specific computing power and memory. I'm betting my old IPad wouldn't work. Android, Apple, DJI, I'll stick with my S5.

Having several Android devices - all with OS > 4.2, and the only one that the Pilot app runs on is my tiny phone, I contact DJI support. I'm essentially told, the app support the Android device, not the OS. So, I'm relegated to buying something on the supported list - which I do last Friday. I bought the Nexus 7 which is recommended.

What a mess. DJI should be ashamed of themselves for building an app the supports devices instead of the operating systems in the first place [not so with apple stuff, just Android!].

I know this isn't in their control but to me, this is just the icing on the cake for the costs associated in getting a P3 Pro.

Big time bummed out now!

Big time bummed out now!
I have a 2013 Nexus 7 that had a lot of issues with kit kat and the over the air update for Lollipop would not work and kept crashing. I ended up completely wiping the system off of the Nexus and manually flashing the factory lollypop .1.1 update and my Nexus has since been running better than ever . I also installed the latest version of the dji pilot app without a hitch.

Google, Nexus factory roms. And you will see the info you need but here is a brief rundown of the process.

You will need to download the latest Android SDK, java developer platform, Microsoft NTP driver, google Nexus driver and of course the appropriate factory rom for your device.

You will need something like 7zip or wimrar to extract the tgz file with Android lollipop.

You will also direct connect your Nexus to your computer via USB and start it in fastboot mode which involves holding down the power and volume down buttons.

Install the Android SDK which will prompt you about needing the java developer program. Install that then resme the Android SDK install. Select where you will install the Android SDK as well as the platform tools.

When everything is installed including the Microsoft NTP driver you will also need to upgrade the Android driver within the device manager pointing to where you downloaded the Google USB drives

I updated all OS on my Nexus 7 and all recent Firmware on my P3P, controller, battery... No issues yet, I hope I'm not due for some! Yikes!

Trying to fly some tonight, guess you'll hear from me if there are issues.... eeek! Kind of worried now.

ONLY FOR MY P3P - I have dumped any thoughts of anything but a stinking iPad - which I despise. It appears DJI has favored the Apple OS for their app. I'm running an iPad Air 2 64 GB and it runs just fine - including the latest firmware update. Before someone chimes in to "correct me", yes I know the firmware is on the bird, but the app has to support the data and output.

Hope everyone has a great day.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31