Nexus 7 vs Nvidia Shield K1

Reaction score
Hi there,

I just want to share some field test i doing right now with 2 differents Android tablet.

I have around 50 flights using a Google Nexus 7 stock with only DJI Go App (latest version) install.
All those flights was nice and clean without any major problem.

I decide to buy (from a lot of recommendation) a Nvidia Shield K1 because of the power of the GPU.

fact about Nexus 7: frequently on all my flights, i'v got video glitch, some freeze. All those happen with almost full 5 bars on video signal, so it was clear that the Nexus 7 can't handle de 720p transmission video signal. The Nexus 7 run Android 6.0.1

I have now 3 flights (last weekend) with my Nvidia Shield K1. I have also install just DJI Go App on the device. The Shield K1 run Android 7.0, latest firmware release available from OTA.
Those 3 flights went bad, no major crash from the bird, but:
- DJI Go App freeze one time.
- DJI Go App close completly
- DJI Go App show a message (close or wait), i wait and it came back but i was a bit scare.

Every of those 3 flights, i decide to use RTH and bird just came to home point perfectly.

Yesterday night, with a little bit of research i found how to downgrade my Nvidia Shield K1 to Android 5.1.1
So i will get back in the air shortly and give you some feeback.

I will maybe after 4-5 flights, try to upgrade to 6.0.1 (i already get OTA update message).

stay tune..

ChApy23

Have same two tablets - also got k1 thinking it would be smoother - it was about the same until I upgraded to android 7 thern got app crashes. Went back to nexus 7 on android 6 and works fine - screen slightly smaller but it is much lighter which is nice.

If my K1 can run perfectly DJI GO app with Android 5.x, i will keep it like that, no problem.
Like i said, i will try also with Android 6.x

Give me some 2-3 weeks to test all those and i will for sure get back here with all of those tests.

For now here in Quebec, Canada, rain for the next 10 days :-(

A question for those with Nougat and the K1. What version of DJI Go were you running? I recently rooted my K1 so I could edit the hosts file so I could run Go 2.9.1 without the forced update. I haven't had a chance to fly since I rooted and installed the older version of Go.

Second question for HWCM, if I need to were did you find the instructions for downgrading to 6?

Second question for HWCM, if I need to were did you find the instructions for downgrading to 6?

A little bit tricky but follow each step:
Those are the step to reinstall stock OS, it's 7.0

You will need to find Android 5.1.1 zip file using google, date is 2016
I can maybe share you a link to download it, let me check what i can do for you.

Scroll down to the post by E.T._Drone_Hom.
He lays it out step by step. That is the method I used. It took just a few minutes after I downloaded all the files.
Nvida K1 Tablet

Thank's for that link, was a bit long to read but very interesting.

After all read, i think we can confirm that for now, using Android 7.0 on Shield K1 can be dangerous for ours birds.

They are also pointing about RECORDING or not can be the real issue.
Maybe i can do some test about that, but it take some time to test, update OS, rollback etc etc.

HWCM, thanks. I'll have to load the files onto the laptop later as well as print out the instructions. Before I make the change I want to see if Go 2.9.1 works with Nougat. I just rooted the K1 a couple of weeks ago, this didn't look any different, just an earlier image file. With the exception of the image file I already have the rest.

Last edited:
Update: I've finally had a chance to test DJI Go on my rooted Shield K1 with Nougat. Running a P3P with latest firmware and DJI Go 2.9.1 because of the really poor resolution of Here Maps in the current version of Go. I flew the P3P for about 20 minutes recording video and taking snapshots. I didn't have any problems with the app crashing.

The only problems were video glitches when I got further away which I expected given the people around here with WiFi.

Once I landed I swapped batteries, exited DJI Go, forced stop, started Litchi and flew for about another 20 minutes, again without problems.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl