New yorkers..

Well come on in, to the forum @nycdroneuser, hope you enjoy your time here and all the future fun up in the air. ;-)
If you "Nor-easterners" have a look in here, Northeast USA see where others are flying already...

RedHotPoker

i live in Queens on the Nassau border and have a few decent places to fly (although I've only taken about 10 flights since getting the bird... this weekend's weather will surely change that).

nycdroneuser - Good to know about those parks; might have to fly there for change of pace.
Rijana - I work in Port Washington too,,, whereabouts are you? PM me.

From what I understand after looking into it online. ALL of NYC is pretty much not allowed. Although (other than the airports) there is no official laws saying you can't, I have read the the police can and will charge you with reckless endangerment which could include jail time. I REALLY want to fly around central park and it's a shame that the old World's Fair site its in a no-fly zone due to the airport. I was in the NJ side of the river one day and I was flying near the GWB and an NYPD police helicopter came towards me and did stop until I landed. Let me know what you find out though.

Hi fellow NY'er ;P

Yeah as of right now I'm pretty iffy about flying anywhere near NYC. Theres a lot of gorgeous parks on the island - and of course beaches as you mentioned. Not sure if any of the parks have certain rules regarding drones but I'll be sure to check.

Will deff let you know about any NYC spots in the future!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Welcome to the forum!
Thats awesome. Ill have to check those out

Take a look at NYC Park Rule 1-05(r)(2):
"No person shall engage in any toy or model aviation, kite-flying, model boating or model automobiling except at such times and at such places designated or maintained therefor."

Here are places designated for it:
Model Aircraft Fields : NYC Parks

Well, you listed yourself as Long Island so you should be able to find places nearby. My son-in-law (after this weekend :) ) i
Congratulations! :cool:

Welcome to the crowd. I don't know anything about New York but I sure would like to fly around that city. Especially at night. Happy flying wherever you go.

Hi Folks I live in Australia and without a doubt this is the best forum, and appreciate all the advice

On Long Island I've flown at Wantagh Park, Jones Beach, Kings Park Psych and Bethpage State Park. Never had any incidents (knock on wood). I also fly a lot in my neighborhood and school field. I am hoping to get to Montauk soon myself!

I'm out east on long Island too. I have a number of flights in my signature link around the area. This time of year has the most beautiful scenery but unfortunately it gets tricky on long Island. In Suffolk County all public beaches have a no drone policy for the summer. There's a number of airports to be mindful about. There's often helicopters overhead at any given time. Parks are starting to crack down on flying. Nassau County is getting more and more pissy about drones. I love this time of year here and I hate it as well. More people, more problems.

What does save it some is the fact that we have shores on both sides of the island and there are tons of areas that aren't public beaches. Google map is your best friend. Spend some time finding parking lots and marinas by the shores. Choose your days wisely too. Weekends are terrible in the summer. Week days early in the day or towards nightfall are way less cluttered with the general public. Look for local lakes too but again, it's tough to avoid the public at the lakes in the summer. The problem with our beautiful shores and boats is that for all the beautiful film they offer, after a couple of flights it all looks the same. I like to be diversified in my videos. Water and boats is water and boats, lol. Redundant after a couple of flights.

You're best to find a local spot that you can fly just to fly and then keep it to yourself. When too many people find out about it then it becomes a problem and you get harassed by security or whatnot. As for the spots for choice films, there are many but keep in mind what I mentioned above. If you're dying to film a property, seek out permission before you fly over and around a mansion, for example. You'd be surprised how positive most people are, even law enforcement. Register your drone with the faa and put it on a lanyard and wear it around your neck when flying. It's fast proof for anyone who calls you out on it, including law enforcement and security. People can't tell you who the secretary of state is but by golly, they know all about the drone registration mandate.

Avoid the public as much as you can, which is tough here. That's why I love winter. People hibernate and flying is a wonderfully lonely existence. But, trees are dead and as beautiful as snow is, that gets old too. In late winter I refuse to even film another dead tree and stop altogether until green returns. Anyway, I hope this helps some. Hit me up with a pm and maybe we can fly sometime in the middle island area.

Didnt even think about kings park psych! Thanks for the idea haha.

Shockwave - yup unfortunately long island is overpopulated (with assholes) and it's hard to find a quiet spot in the summer. I do have it registered as well. I know a couple of beaches that are private that I rarely see people at in the summer so I'll be spending a lot of time there but like you said it'll eventually get old.

Im actually in Coram so you're close by!

Didnt even think about kings park psych! Thanks for the idea haha.

Shockwave - yup unfortunately long island is overpopulated (with assholes) and it's hard to find a quiet spot in the summer. I do have it registered as well. I know a couple of beaches that are private that I rarely see people at in the summer so I'll be spending a lot of time there but like you said it'll eventually get old.

Im actually in Coram so you're close by!

Close by is an understatement! You're a drones throw away! Definitely hit me up some time. You know there's a AMA field in Coram right? I know someone from that group but I just don't care for pilot crowds when I fly. I prefer no more than one other person to fly with and most often I'm a loner. But I do enjoy meeting other pilots. Talk soon I hope!

Haha i'll deff let you know next time I go flying!

I didnt know that but I'm the same way. Not a huge fan of flying with crowds. But its nice to know theres a lot of fellow flyers on long island. Ive honestly never seen anyone else fly one around here.

Hi! There's a group of us that go flying all the time out in the Riverhead area. We also take trips to montauk and the hamptons

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.