New yorkers..

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just received a new P3 advanced for my bday. Lovin it so far. Just wanted to see if theres anyone based on Long Island NY and can recommend their fav places to fly.

Thanks much :)

Reactions: Squirrel!
It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Phantom Pilots forum Rijana. I hope that you will take advantage of the benefits that come with membership and that you will be able to use the forum for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in Phantom quadcopter’s.

New York City has many areas where drones are banned, due to many surrounding airports and the busy airspace with aircraft that this creates. Below is a map courtesy of Mapbox that shows where you can and cannot fly your drone in New York City. The red is all the areas drones cannot be flown. Some great places you could fly your drone in the areas that they are not banned (as far as I know) are Central Park, Marine Park and Battery Park.

Try this app - B4UFLY Smartphone App

Enjoy your new quad and fly safe!

main-qimg-08bc8d2615206c7be48e7157e003e0b0.png

Reactions: phantomi
LuvMyTJ - thanks so much for all the info! The app is really helpful.

I'm excited to start participating in the forum!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: meissner58
Just a note, something I think a lot of new users would have like to have been told before their first catastrophic crash: stay away from trees and other objects. That is, if you go to Central Park, look for a sports field to fly over; or if you have to fly near trees, fly well above the canopy (and in line of sight).

Confidence before bravery!

LOTS of great areas to fly out there!! You have so much history and great landscape to fly in and around.

Can't wait to see your videos in the future!! Enjoy your new toy!!!

Yeah theres a lot of old mansions that I can't wait to get shots of!

Thanks everyone - I appreciate it

Don't do a casey neistat and fly your drone all over NY!

Have fun and safe flying, you will love every flight!

The onboard SIM although a simplified one, can still be very beneficial for new comers to this RC hobby.
Enjoy your new drone and awesome aerial adventures.

RedHotPoker

Yeah Ive been practicing at a large open field near my house. I had a phantom 2 with my gopro attached before this so im pretty comfortable flying. Might head out to Montauk this weekend

Reactions: phantomi
Metal69rock - thanks for those apps. I have B4Ufly and Hover as well buts its so confusing how some apps show you can fly in a certain area and others say that you can't

Hi Rijana,

I am fairly new to this forum too, and have found this to be an extremely valuable resource. Unlike you, I have no prior drone experience, so my new, 4 day old P3A, is all I've known. I wanted to be sure to do lots of research before my first flight, and most of what I learned came from searching and reading through this site.

As a native New Yorker (born in Manhattan, also lived on Long Island...Lindenhurst) I imagine you will have a much easier time finding good flying spots out on the Island than in the city. I now live in Southern California, and once I am very comfortable flying, I plan to get lots of shore/beach footage. Out on the Island, you should have lots of great beaches too, but I don't have to tell you that.

If you (or anyone else) do find any good places in the city/Manhattan to fly, please let me know. I'm usually back in NYC almost every month, and would love to get some good shots of my home town.

Hi fellow NY'er ;P

Yeah as of right now I'm pretty iffy about flying anywhere near NYC. Theres a lot of gorgeous parks on the island - and of course beaches as you mentioned. Not sure if any of the parks have certain rules regarding drones but I'll be sure to check.

Will deff let you know about any NYC spots in the future!

New York City has many areas where drones are banned, due to many surrounding airports and the busy airspace with aircraft that this creates. Below is a map courtesy of Mapbox that shows where you can and cannot fly your drone in New York City. The red is all the areas drones cannot be flown. Some great places you could fly your drone in the areas that they are not banned (as far as I know) are Central Park, Marine Park and Battery Park.

I can't speak for any land restrictions or illegal airspace laws in NY but flying within 5 miles of an airport is not an automatic ban, just to be clear. A person can contact the airport tower for permission to fly within those areas.

Well, you listed yourself as Long Island so you should be able to find places nearby. My son-in-law (after this weekend :) ) is from Port Washington out that way but he lives in Manhattan now with my daughter, so he flies a small Hubsan indoors instead. :D
I can't speak for any land restrictions or illegal airspace laws in NY but flying within 5 miles of an airport is not an automatic ban, just to be clear. A person can contact the airport tower for permission to fly within those areas.
Yes you can fly near airports... you just have to notify them of your flight plans, nothing more. Although I don't know how they handle it in NYC. Something tells me it would be a lot tougher as they can deny you for safety reasons. See the following quote from the FAA web site...

2. Is model aircraft use prohibited within five statute miles of an airport?There are no legislative prohibitions. However, Section 336 of Public Law 112-95 requires the operator of the model aircraft to notify the airport operator and airport traffic control tower (if one is located on the airport) prior to operating within five miles of an airport. For ease in determining distances, the FAA interprets this as five statute[5] miles from an airport reference point (ARP) as denoted in the current FAA Airport/Facility Directory (AFD) or for airports not denoted with an ARP, the center of the airport symbol as denoted on the current FAA-published aeronautical chart. Please note that model aircraft operators must also comply with the requirements of the airspace where they intend to fly the model aircraft. Please refer the model aircraft operator to the local airport traffic control tower, if one is located at the airport, for specific questions on airspace operating requirements.

SOURCE: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about the Use of Model Aircraft Near an Airport – Airports

Reactions: Squirrel!
LuvMyTj - Congratulations to your daughter! I actually work in port washington haha.

Thanks for all the info. I know NYC is really strict with people flying drones. Dont blame them since there is so many people around. My main fear is not being able to fly at certain beautiful state parks but as mentioned before - I'll be sure to check their rules.

First time poster as well. Also got a P3A recently. I'm in NYC. I have been flying in Cunningham and Forest Park. Those are two parks listed on the Parks Department as being able to fly in. So far so good.

Reactions: noimage

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic