New update, weird response, massive crash

Unfortunately Richard, that not correct; in the case of a critically low battery - it just lands - see Fly Dawg post - its #8 above. This is the reason why we'd like to see the flight log, to ascertain why the AC suddenly ascended.
I agree, just responding to the OP's comment that the warning stated that the bird was 'returning to home'n

I thought maybe there were some special logs other than the ones available in the app. Thanks guys. Been travel it all week. Hope to get a chance to look at it over the weekend.

And once again guys, low battery warning and I brought it back to the house. At 10% battery where I had the "Critical" level set as best I remember, I was told "critical battery level has been reached, this craft (or whatever the word was), will return to home in 10 seconds. I got it down to a foot off the ground and was about to set down when it said "returning to home". It would not recognize any stick inputs from me and went straight up until it hit the trees and fell.

It has always landed in the past when I did this. I had done it several times just to see exactly what it would do under these circumstances.

I had just updated to the latest firmware. This was the very first flight after the update. Now I don't want to make any outlandish claims without more info. And viewing the logs and getting some of you more savvy guys to offer input. But I'm sure that some of you can see what my concerns might be.

Thanks again for all of the help and suggestions. I will get the logs uploaded as soon as I possibly can.

And once again guys, low battery warning and I brought it back to the house. At 10% battery where I had the "Critical" level set as best I remember, I was told "critical battery level has been reached, this craft (or whatever the word was), will return to home in 10 seconds. I got it down to a foot off the ground and was about to set down when it said "returning to home". It would not recognize any stick inputs from me and went straight up until it hit the trees and fell.

It has always landed in the past when I did this. I had done it several times just to see exactly what it would do under these circumstances.

I had just updated to the latest firmware. This was the very first flight after the update. Now I don't want to make any outlandish claims without more info. And viewing the logs and getting some of you more savvy guys to offer input. But I'm sure that some of you can see what my concerns might be.

Thanks again for all of the help and suggestions. I will get the logs uploaded as soon as I possibly can.
It said critical battery and not low battery? Thats weird AF. Low batt will return but critical battery would land. See pic of manual posted before. Post your logs. Its easy to do and there are log geniuses on here.

Last edited:
Well here you go guys. Tell me what you see Tell me the mushrooms I took from the creek weren't Chanterelles and I was off in la-la land. But please, tell me something.

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2017-08-13_[11-31-08].txt
    1.3 MB · Views: 234
Reactions: Numone
I will make it easy for you.
At 13m14s into the flight at 0 ft altitude and 116 feet from the home point it went to low power, aircraft returning to Home Point.
At 13m23s it had ascended to 56.4 ft altitude, still at 116 from Home Point. Where the final warning was "motor obstructed".

Now I am starting to get a little angry. I had just updated the firmware. And it tried to go home at low power rather than land as it had always done in the past.

Why in the world would it try to go into a RTH mode when it had no power?

Comments?

Screenshot 2017-08-18 19.27.15.png

RTH was activated at 17% power (which is NOT critical low power), the distance at that point was 116ft (35m) which is more that 20m so it will ascent first.
According to the logfile:
-Batterylevel never reached critical 10%.
-Low power warning level was set to 15% (minimum level you can set in the GO-app), NOT 25% as you stated in post #6.
Conclusion:
The aircraft behaved exactly as it should.

Well I can accept that. But why would it not allow me to take control of the craft when it started to RTH?

I had a quick look at the files and as mentioned above, you never reached the critical (auto land) battery percentage. I'm thinking it has returned on smart RTH when the drone realised that it wasn't going to make it back. I've had that a number of times during a flight and now just leave it turned off, you always have the option of cancelling it which does not appear to have been initiated in the log files. You can either cancel it in the app or via the RTH button on the controller and manually take control again. The drone essentially did what it was supposed to do under those conditions.

Another important remark about 'Low Power warning level':
The value set in the GO app is the value the AC tries to reach upon landing.
For instance:
If the vlaue is set to 15% and the drone is 1 mile away, RTH will initiate at 15% plus the amount of power the AC needs to ascend, fly that 1 mile and land.

Reactions: KDCypP4Adv
Another important remark about 'Low Power warning level':
The value set in the GO app is the value the AC tries to reach upon landing.
For instance:
If the vlaue is set to 15% and the drone is 1 mile away, RTH will initiate at 15% plus the amount of power the AC needs to ascend, fly that 1 mile and land.
Can you please advise whether the critical battery level is programmable like the low battery level is or is it fixed at 10% please?
I also seem to remember having reached critical level a couple of times when I was a few feet off the ground already in the process of landing manually and it tried to land in that (unsuitable) spot but it did allow stick input for me to move it a few feet away to a safe spot. Is stick input on critical level how it's supposed to be please?

Can you please advise whether the critical battery level is programmable like the low battery level is or is it fixed at 10% please?
I also seem to remember having reached critical level a couple of times when I was a few feet off the ground already in the process of landing manually and it tried to land in that (unsuitable) spot but it did allow stick input for me to move it a few feet away to a safe spot. Is stick input on critical level how it's supposed to be please?
The battery critical level thresholds can be adjusted up or down, at the lower threshold, when it goes into auto land you have a little bit of stick control to manoeuvre it slightly. I wouldn't depend on managing that when you have reached the lower threshold, particularly with a bit of wind and a fair distance from HP. % readings are not necessarily the best indicator of battery life left.

The battery critical level thresholds can be adjusted up or down, at the lower threshold, when it goes into auto land you have a little bit of stick control to manoeuvre it slightly. I wouldn't depend on managing that when you have reached the lower threshold, particularly with a bit of wind and a fair distance from HP. % readings are not necessarily the best indicator of battery life left.
Crit can be adjusted up and down but never lower than 10%.

It said critical battery and not low battery? Thats weird AF. Low batt will return but critical battery would land. See pic of manual posted before. Post your logs. Its easy to do and there are log geniuses on here.
@JoBe - quick question. I've seen you say "AF" a few times. What is that?

Ok, I had just updated the firmware for the controller and copter. Put on a new set of props and went for a flight.

It was all good, the battery started getting low and I brought it home. I was running out the last bit of battery just a few feet off the ground as I have done many times.

When it got to 10% I was informed that "critical battery level is reached, returning to home". The drone went straight up until it hit the trees, then fell about 40 feet and, well, you can imagine.

But guys I am trying to figure out why the response to critical low battery is to go into a "return to home" mode. You have 10% power and you're going to fly home? It gave me a 10 second warning, and I tried every combination of input to take back control of the drone I knew, to no avail. It was going home.

Just a warning on the new upgrade guys. Check carefully. Review the low battery level responses and all of that. I didn't, now I don't have a drone.

Comments? Questions?
I set mine to alert me at 40%. That way, I have more than enough time to finish what I'm doing and get "home" before any problems arise.

Reactions: JoBe

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jorge sanchez