New update, weird response, massive crash

Guys,
I truly appreciate all of the help and insight. I think the one key thing I did to fail was I updated firmware and failed to check my settings. I ASSUMED that my old settings were still there. I had ran the battery down to where it literally dropped from the sky at least twice. But I was also A. Just a foot or two up with the camera full up to protect the lens, over soft grass and B. Very close to the home point.

I had always set my low warning at 30% and critical at 10%. After watching some "see how far it will go" videos on YouTube I had been curious about how the auto return, ( unit calculates required battery to RTH and auto reverses ) worked, but had never actually tried it or seen it happen.

Riding motorcycles for 35 years and a former scuba diver, I even took pilot lessons and soloed back in the 80's I know that absolute familiarity of the controls and behavior of your equipment is essential. And I failed to follow this doctrine. It is a painful and expensive mistake.

But I am in the process of deciding to repair or replace. The center board is gone. The compass connector pulled free from the main board and one side of the solder connections on the main ic chip broke loose. I could repair the compass connector. I am a trained electronics tech with 13 years on copiers, faxes and printers. But the main chip situation worries me.

And the gimbal arm and ribbon is trashed.

I worry about putting $400 to $600 in parts into it and then finding additional issues.

So any words of wisdom from you more experienced drone guys, as always is appreciated.

Thanks again to the community. If anyone is interested in pics of the damage, I will be glad to upload a few.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robvalduga