New transmitter with tilt question???

I was a bit off on my post yesterday, Mako79's response prompted me to go back and look at what I had followed.

Assuming ALL of the software is up to date...... on the computer and (firmware) on the phantom components. If you have an older version of software on the computer, uninstall, reboot, and then install the newer version(s). If any phantom firmware needs updating then do it, and reboot everything so the new firmware is read properly on the components that were updated.

This is the sticky post that I have followed and it works well to calibrate the wheel.
Scroll wheel on the new Remote Controller

If the controller that came with your phantom has the wheel, then you do not do step 2 of the sticky as the controller is already bound to the phantom.

If you purchased a controller with a wheel to replace an older one without a wheel, you will have to bind the new controller properly to the phantom. Read the manual for how to properly do this.

Read step 3 of the sticky closely. It is easy to forget and do it wrong.

Close the Rc Assistant when done and before connecting to the phantom assistant.

Be sure to follow the rest of the sticky and do the calibration again in the phantom assistant and reboot where noted.

If you still have issues, take the time to make sure everything was done correctly and with the correct software.

I don't recall any channels jumping around when I was in the RC Assistant without any input. So I don't know if there may be some noise on your usb setup or if there is an issue with something else. Try following the sticky (or do it again) and see if that solves the issue.

Has anyone solved this reliably?

I've calibrated in the RC asst. and phantom asst. several times; uninstalled/reinstalled the software repeatedly. Nothing works. The camera moves with the tilt wheel, then snaps back to about a 45 degree angle when I let go of the wheel. At this point, I'm frustrated and ready to just return the dang transmitter.

Obviously, this is a software issue and DJI needs to ge their act together.

Re: Has anyone solved this reliably?

Rebelvis said:
I've calibrated in the RC asst. and phantom asst. several times; uninstalled/reinstalled the software repeatedly. Nothing works. The camera moves with the tilt wheel, then snaps back to about a 45 degree angle when I let go of the wheel. At this point, I'm frustrated and ready to just return the dang transmitter.

Obviously, this is a software issue and DJI needs to ge their act together.

Be patient.
Your controller is in aboslute "basic mode". Plug into phantom assist > basic > rc. There is two options, upgrade and basic. Nominates upgrade mode to accommodate the new controllers.

The sticky mentioned above was removed for some unknown reason. I sent a PM to the moderator to find out why but got no response. This is what was posted a few months back:

Problem Solved: Let me Explain. I received my new RC yesterday and proceeded to follow the instructions on setting it up that are in this forum in many places. I ended up with a totally screwed up tilt mechanism just like it has been described in this post. I then proceeded to pull the pieces together that others say they had success with. This is what I did and now everything works perfectly. Even the gimbal tilt speed works as hoped. That is, the more you rotate it the faster the tilt happens. So you can now not only control the tilt from the RC but you can control the speed at which it tilts. This is great **** and worth the $100 for the new RC. Anyway, here is a recap:
1. Uninstall the current version of the RC Assistant and then re-install it from the DJI website. I don't know why, but this is key to getting it to work. My guess is that DJI made some additional changes to the 1.1 version without telling anyone. That said, it seems like a critical step.
2. Bind the new RC to the Phantom. Follow the steps in the Phantom Manual version 1.6. It’s simple and I think different from what others have displayed on YouTube.
3. Turn on the RC and plug it into the PC. Open up the recently installed RC Assistant and do the calibration on the sticks as noted in the Assistant but DO NOT press FINISH yet. Now the next step is critical. Even though the RC Assistant says not to do the calibration on the X1 (the Tilt Control Wheel), you have to do it. Select the X1 wheel and rotate it several times in both directions then let it come to rest in the neutral position. Now press Finish.
4. Disconnect the RC from the PC and turn off the RC Assistant.
5. Turn on the Phantom, and then connect to PC. Start up the Phantom Assistant. It should be the latest version 3.6.
6. Make sure you select the correct RC option. In our case it should be the "Upgrade" version.
7. Repeat the calibration process for the left/right sticks and press Finish.
8. Then select the Calibration START button under the X1 control, rotate the tilt wheel several times in both directions then let it come to rest in the neutral position. Then press Finish.
9. Power down the Phantom, shutdown the Assistant, disconnect the PC from the Phantom.
10. Restart the Phantom and it should be golden.

You need to follow every step, even if it looks stupid.

Gonefishing its because you have firmware V1.0.4 or so for your camera.
The one you want is firmware V1.0.6, thats the latest firmware that works for the new transmitter with middle position wheel.
Bear in mind ones upgraded there is no way back ( yet ).
See in assistant what version your ZEN IMU is. Thats were it has to be upgraded.

No it's not. I've read and re-read the instructions and the controller is most DEFINITELY in upgrade mode. BTW, my asst. software is version 3.8, which is the latest and my RC software is 1.2; also the latest. I've uninstalled both, restarted the computer, and re-installed the software to no avail. I called DDM where I bought the controller and we went over it step-by-step over the phone (DDM is great BTW) and it STILL snaps back to 45 degrees.

I bought the wheeled transmitter because like many of you, trying to control camera pitch through the app was always difficult and frankly, a terrible design. Bottom line: there is some glitch in the software and DJI doesn't care enough to fix it. Mopar, I'll go through your steps and try one last time although I'm almost certain I've done the same already.

Be patient.
Your controller is in aboslute "basic mode". Plug into phantom assist > basic > rc. There is two options, upgrade and basic. Nominates upgrade mode to accommodate the new controllers.[/quote]

Rebelvis said:
No it's not. I've read and re-read the intructions and the controller is most DEFINITELY in upgrade mode.

Be patient.
Your controller is in aboslute "basic mode". Plug into phantom assist > basic > rc. There is two options, upgrade and basic. Nominates upgrade mode to accommodate the new controllers.
[/quote]

Then follow Mopar Bobs instructions to the T. That should cover all bases.
He was the person who resolved 99% of the tilt issues on this forum.

Still no Joy....

I followed Mopar's instructions precisely; twice. He never says whether to turn the transmitter off after the RC calibration, so I tried it both ways. Once, I left it on throughout the process, the other time, I turned it off after the RC calibration, then back on before the phantom was started-up.

When all that failed, I uninstalled the assistant software, re-downloaded it as a zip and installed it again and repeated all Mopar's steps. No luck. FWIW, I did notice when I connected the phantom to the newly (re) installed 3.8, under the basic, RC tab it already had the tick mark by "upgrade version."

Bottom line, I'm back where I started and even more frustrated. The wheel moves the camera, but always snaps back to 45 degrees when you let go of the wheel. One other thing I'm noticing, as the phantom initializes, the camera first moves to level, then back to 45 degrees before the wheel works.

I appreciated everyone's help and ultimately, I blame DJI for this whole frustrating mess.

Rebelvis: I am running version 3.6 on my PC. Go to DJI site and download that version and try the calibration process again. Maybe something in the newer Assistant software (v3.8) is causing the issues.

Thanks for the suggestion, Bob. I tried it and still no luck. I'm at a loss at this point. I wonder if I could somehow flash the phantom to some lower firmware and get it to work. Even if it had worked, it just shouldn't be this difficult/frustrating.

Mopar Bob said:
Rebelvis: I am running version 3.6 on my PC. Go to DJI site and download that version and try the calibration process again. Maybe something in the newer Assistant software (v3.8) is causing the issues.

Rebelvis said:
Thanks for the suggestion, Bob. I tried it and still no luck. I'm at a loss at this point. I wonder if I could somehow flash the phantom to some lower firmware and get it to work. Even if it had worked, it just shouldn't be this difficult/frustrating.

Mopar Bob said:

Do you know that there is 2 pieces of software?
1. RC1.2 that is dedicated to the controller only.
http://download.dji-innovations.com/dow ... r_v1.2.exe
Uninstall the old, and install the link above. Plug USB directly to controller. Upgrade the firmware (reset controller if required). Calibrate all sticks and move the tilt dial up and down. Finalise and close RC12.

2. The Phantom Assistance 3.8
http://download.dji-innovations.com/dow ... r_v3.8.exe
Uninstall the previous Phantom Assist app and download the above. Launch the assist and plug usb into front of phantom. Make sure all the firmware is up to date including your camera gimbal. Once all updated go Basic > RC > select upgrade mode. Then calibrate again. Then calibrate the X1 to for the tilt.

Sounds dumb, but give it try again.

Yes, Mako, having owned my vision+ since last May, I'm well aware of the 2 pieces of software and what they do. My numerous attempts have been w/ RC 1.2 and PA 3.8 although I did downgrade to PA3.6 as Bob suggested in an effort to coax the **** thing into working. Nothing bloody works.

Mako79 said:
Rebelvis said:

Mopar Bob said:

Do you know that there is 2 pieces of software?
1. RC1.2 that is dedicated to the controller only.
http://download.dji-innovations.com/dow ... r_v1.2.exe
Uninstall the old, and install the link above. Plug USB directly to controller. Upgrade the firmware (reset controller if required). Calibrate all sticks and move the tilt dial up and down. Finalise and close RC12.

2. The Phantom Assistance 3.8
http://download.dji-innovations.com/dow ... r_v3.8.exe
Uninstall the previous Phantom Assist app and download the above. Launch the assist and plug usb into front of phantom. Make sure all the firmware is up to date including your camera gimbal. Once all updated go Basic > RC > select upgrade mode. Then calibrate again. Then calibrate the X1 to for the tilt.

Sounds dumb, but give it try again.

tried with a different PC?

Hay Rebelvis,
I didn't go through the entire threat, but has anyone asked you already whether you have upgraded the gimbal/camera firmware? Without that update your bird ( gimbal/camera) will not 'understand' the new tx with tilting weal.
Regards FA

Yes, I've tried it on both of my PC's...numerous times now. The latest thing I did was uninstall both pieces of software, manually delete the DJI stuff from the PC's registry, restart the computer and tried yet again...no joy.

Mako79 said:
tried with a different PC?

Yes aarts, I updated everything (4th tab). I did miss the 3.10 update (the one DJI pulled) so I never had that installed. BTW, what I "think" is going on is this; the software is acting like I have one of those tilt levers on the back of the transmitter that do not center themselves. Thus, when I release the wheel it snaps back to 45 degrees. Just a theory...

aartsf said:
Hay Rebelvis,
I didn't go through the entire threat, but has anyone asked you already whether you have upgraded the gimbal/camera firmware? Without that update your bird ( gimbal/camera) will not 'understand' the new tx with tilting weal.
Regards FA

Sounds like you may have gotten a bad controller. Is there anyone in your area that can lend you theirs to try? Even a hobby shop that may have a unit that you can test with? At the very least it will isolate the problem to either your controller or the Phantom itself.

:p Connor...I viewed your vast array of videos and they were all great! And your spoof on the "kitchen table" was hilarious.

I have follow exactly everything mentioned in this thread and I still have issue regarding Camera Tilt still at 45 Degree.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.