NEW TO THIS

Reaction score
Hey guys completely new to the drone world I have a phantom 3 with the 4K camera, just wondering why I see some controllers using light bridge and mine is only wifi? Could be a silly question just looking for honest answers thanks guys!

The P3S and P34K use Wi-Fi. The P3A and P3P use Lightbridge. DJI often offers models with different capabilities so people only need to pay for what they want to use.

You can compare the specs here.

Thanks man ! What's the range like compared to light bridge?
Not great. Wifi will get you, maybe, 3/4 mile and your video preview will be 480p. It's usable for lining up a shot, video or still, but the displayed image has too much lag for FPV and the resolution doesn't give much ground detail. Lightbridge OTOH will get you out three miles and your video will be HD at 720p. You can get true FPV with a $12 set of VR Box goggles and those work great if you're so inclined to try flying that way.

Those ranges are variable with terrain and other conditions. I use a pair of windsurfer parabolic reflectors for longer waypoint missions and have been out to almost 3 miles, even here in the Minnesota woods. OTOH, the 5.4ghz wifi that I have to use with my Phantom 2 Vision + is truly limited in range, even with the booster. With my P4, at least I can fly a mission in Litchi even after losing control. Not true for the P2V+, and not true for the wifi Phantom 3's. I've had many Phantom 2V+ RTH's due to disconnects over the last couple years. The range on the Phantom 4, along with the HD real-time video was an astonishing upgrade to me.

Last edited:
Oh, that's why he was saying wifi. Thought the 4k used light bridge. Yes well as having a P3S prior to my P4 the wifi is TERRIBLE on range.... truly miserable if theres any wifi spectrum congestion.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic