New tablet search; why so many issues with samsung?

Reaction score
happy new year to all. short version is that i'm giving my ipad mini 2 to my nephew and getting myself something new for my p3a. this is not another "which is best" post. what i am wondering is why do so many people have trouble with samsung? the phones and tablets seem good but it feels like so many people can only get them to work if at all by doing all sorts of setting gymnastics or voodoo. why only samsung has this problem? so manmy other androids seemt o work okay and of course all new ipads work out of the box. its just samsumg that gives people fits until they want to scream cry or sell. is there something that i should look for when i read about samsungs? i expect the first reply will be "my samsumg is perfect and does the dishes." that doesnt help me. i'm hoping to find out why so many more samsumgs donty work when compared to other brands. tia!

You might have a perception Samsung has more issues because you see more grizzling and complaining- this is probably simply because Samsung has a larger market share so any android issue that presents on one of their tablets/phones will see them having a higher representation.

The best android devices I have owned have been Samsung.

I use apple now as I can’t be bothered fiddling around to get things working reliably. Spend the time and you will be happy, when they work they work extra well.

Reactions: Ansia
I use a Samsung Tab S4 for flying. I have yet to encounter any problems. I came from an iPad Mini 4, that used to throttle the processor when it got to hot, causing the video feed to delay up to 4 seconds.

Edit: My Samsung is perfect. It does the cappuccino at 3pm, every day. My Galaxy S8 does the dishes. It's water resistant.

happy new year to all. short version is that i'm giving my ipad mini 2 to my nephew and getting myself something new for my p3a. this is not another "which is best" post. what i am wondering is why do so many people have trouble with samsung? the phones and tablets seem good but it feels like so many people can only get them to work if at all by doing all sorts of setting gymnastics or voodoo. why only samsung has this problem? so manmy other androids seemt o work okay and of course all new ipads work out of the box. its just samsumg that gives people fits until they want to scream cry or sell. is there something that i should look for when i read about samsungs? i expect the first reply will be "my samsumg is perfect and does the dishes." that doesnt help me. i'm hoping to find out why so many more samsumgs donty work when compared to other brands. tia!
As WtB suggests, it's likely to be related to Samsung's huge market share.
It's a bit like why do DJI drones have so many problems - if you have 70% market share, problems with your products will outnumber any other maker's significantly.

The other factor is that there are people out there who can't/don't read (even simple) instructions and some of them complain that the equipment is the problem.
The thing with Android devices is that you have to enable Developer Mode which is point 2 here: Install DJI GO on an Android Tablet or Phone (Step-by-Step Guide) | Phantom Help
Do that and most Android tablets should connect easily.

After near 15 months.....I love my SAMSUNG A7.....yep it's slightly tweaked....cost me $119.95 .
Great info/post "Meta4".

Anisa.....did you get the whole pallet load for that price .........I Hope !

happy new year to all. the short version is that I'm giving my iPad mini 2 to my nephew and getting myself something new for my p3a. this is not another "which is best" post. what I am wondering is why do so many people have trouble with Samsung? the phones and tablets seem good but it feels like so many people can only get them to work if at all by doing all sorts of setting gymnastics or voodoo. why only Samsung has this problem? so many other androids seem o work okay and of course, all new iPads work out of the box. its just Samsung that gives people fits until they want to scream cry or sell. is there something that I should look for when I read about Samsungs? I expect the first reply will be "my Samsung is perfect and does the dishes." that doesn't help me. I'm hoping to find out why so many more Samsungs don't work when compared to other brands. tia!

Hi there,
I was just on Wikipedia and on one page it stated that Samsung has almost 80% of the Android market so you should expect them to have the highest amount of faults, I have had several Samsung devices and have never had any problem with any of them I have just put a screen film on my Samsung galaxy tab s3 to prevent the reflections from the sun whilst using it for my Phantom 4 pro V2 it looks a little large but my eyes are not that good nowadays I can see distance but anything closer than my arms can reach I need glasses I have to use my glasses perched on the end of my nose and look over them to see the quad and look down to see the screen but as I am quite new to this quad I tend to be looking up and down a lot (I probably look like a chicken pecking at the ground with my head moving up and down)

when I first plugged my tablet onto the controller it updated the firmware in the controller and then the drone with very little input from myself which I thought was great I don't see any reason for people to have so many problems with such great software I remember when I built my first drone using one of the Ardupilot APM control boards where you needed to get into the programming to get it to work people who just buy a ready-made quad have no idea what it took in the early days.

Last edited by a moderator:
Samsung A6 tablet never had a problem with it always connects only had it as it was cheaper than iPad I do have iPad but iPad 2 which is big so wouldn’t be able to fit on controller bracket [emoji15] Samsung fits sweet has I’ve said no probs with it

I have 3 Samsung devices, galaxy note 8.0, tab S3, and galaxy S8 phone. All connect without issue using default settings and developers mode not activated. My old note 8.0 doesnt quite have enough cpu power to run smoothly with "cache video locally" turned on, but off it works as well as my other 2 devices.

hmm. anyone whos been here for a minute has seen that people have trouble connecting a samsung. i did this search and found 600 posts about "samsung connect" for 2018 and 2017 and i no their were more before tthat cause i joined at the end of 2015 and remember plenty then to. you old timers remember to!

Search results for query: samsung, connect

are you all saying that samsungs work perfetcly even with all of the issues posted and their are only issues because there are more samsungs than anyone else? even if there are more that doesnt mean there are no issues. we know that probably 1000 posts in 3 yrs has mentioned samsung issues so its hard for me to say oh okay there are just more samsungs so those 1000 issues dont matter. see what im saying? something about samsung makes them have more issues with dji on average than any other brand. feels like.

hmm. anyone whos been here for a minute has seen that people have trouble connecting a samsung. i did this search and found 600 posts about "samsung connect" for 2018 and 2017 and i no their were more before tthat cause i joined at the end of 2015 and remember plenty then to. you old timers remember to!

Search results for query: samsung, connect

are you all saying that samsungs work perfetcly even with all of the issues posted and their are only issues because there are more samsungs than anyone else? even if there are more that doesnt mean there are no issues. we know that probably 1000 posts in 3 yrs has mentioned samsung issues so its hard for me to say oh okay there are just more samsungs so those 1000 issues dont matter. see what im saying? something about samsung makes them have more issues with dji on average than any other brand. feels like.
There are definitely some reported issues with Samsung devices specifically having connection issues. Most guess thats because Samsung has more bloatware and other specific issues with Android (hence the reason Android upgrades usually hit Samsung devices last as there is more to it). Often the fix is a simple as using a new USB cable. Other times, specific devices need settings changed in developer mode to the USB connection settings. As with any brand of device, the beefier the cpu and the more ram it has, the better it will perform. Clearly I'm one of the luckier users who has never had any issues with Samsung. Maybe they just play better with the gl300c RC? Which is what I have.

Reactions: JoBe and Phill2
how right you are, you may find its 6.01 marshmallow and permissions that now have to be granted to apps dji and litchi don't like to play together i have a galaxy note 4 I had the dji app loaded and working fine after the updates, then loaded litchi which seemed to work hit and miss so uninstalled dji app and rooted phone downgraded all firmware did the magic 3 mod and ce mod and samsung and p3s seem to be ok sorry that's all I had to do I have installed now 3 or 4 apps for the dji just not the dji one.

Reactions: JoBe
There are definitely some reported issues with Samsung devices specifically having connection issues. Most guess thats because Samsung has more bloatware and other specific issues with Android (hence the reason Android upgrades usually hit Samsung devices last as there is more to it). Often the fix is a simple as using a new USB cable. Other times, specific devices need settings changed in developer mode to the USB connection settings. As with any brand of device, the beefier the cpu and the more ram it has, the better it will perform. Clearly I'm one of the luckier users who has never had any issues with Samsung. Maybe they just play better with the gl300c RC? Which is what I have.

I was surprised to find that my Tab A only has 1.5 GB RAM given the great job it does both with DJI and Litchi.
Before checking I had always thought it was 2 GB.
When finances permit I'd like to try a Tab 3.

Reactions: 3rdof5
Bought a used SM-T320 (8.4") with 2.3GHz processor for $80 and use it only for the P3A. Disabled most apps and is just as responsive as my mom's iPad. Never gets hot, even in Las Vegas summers, and battery lasts much longer than I have flight batteries for even with screen brightness all the way up (and the screen IS bright).

Reactions: Phill2
I have 3 Samsung devices, galaxy note 8.0, tab S3, and galaxy S8 phone. All connect without issue using default settings and developers mode not activated. My old note 8.0 doesnt quite have enough cpu power to run smoothly with "cache video locally" turned on, but off it works as well as my other 2 devices.

Hi there, I have a note 8 and it operates great without doing anything I have dozens of apps installed you don't have the power saving mode turned on do you? if so that can cause what you are suffering also what speed micro sd card do you have installed I have a Samsung micro SDXC EVO select installed which states faster speeds for photos and 4K UHD videos as a slower card can also cause it to play up.
Regards Poppy Ann

Been running a Nexus 7 for years with no problems. Only use it for flying, no other apps.

...this is not another "which is best" post. what i am wondering is why do so many people have trouble with samsung?

Where does your evidence come from to back up this sentiment?

Android far outweighs IOS for flexibility...but more to the point, I've only ever used 2 Samsung tabs (2014 10.1") and as of the last few months, the 2018 Tab S4....and both work flawlessly with the DJI GO 4 app.

RoOSTA

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31