New Phantom does not 'take-off' from ground at full throttle

Re: New Phantom does not 'take-off' from ground at full thro

Fire the phantom up, and SLOWLY move the right stick up, down, left, right and see if the phantom reacts in anyway!

I'm going to take a guess and say that when the RIGHT stick is pulled down, it will power up the motors! BUT be ready to slow the motors down, by pushing the stick in the opposite direction to whatever sped it up!

I'm guessing the Tx has been rebuilt, but the builder has been caught out when he/she has flipped over the Tx and plugged the cables in on the wrong sides?

This explains why it speeds up when executing the CSC! Anybody following what I'm thinking?

Driffill:

Interesting theory. If this was true, any ideas as to how I can rewire it? I am able to solder if required.

Thanks.
David

thetac:

Thanks for confirming. I would be keen to do this rewiring.

Question... do you think the rewiring is something that needs to be done at the TX unit? or at the Phantom unit? Reason why I ask is because when I open up the Phantom, there is only 1 cable (3 lines) connecting the receiver board and the MC unit at X2 port. I don't see any other wires to work with. However, on the TX, there is loads of wires running all over the place that I could potentially diagnose further and make corrections.

What do you think?

jabatan said:
Driffill:

Interesting theory. If this was true, any ideas as to how I can rewire it? I am able to solder if required.

Thanks.
David

Test it out, if that's the case I'll open up my Tx and get some pics and explain how and what's wrong . . .

From memory, each of the 6 "channels" on the control (Left stick up/down, Left stick left-right, right stick up/down, right stick left-right, GPS/ATTI/man switch, IOC switch) runs via a 3 wire cable to a 3 pole plug/socket on the "main board", the plugs can be changed around as they fit each socket. This is how the Tx is changed from "mode 1" to "mode 2" or vise versa, the 7th (and 8th) channel are pots on the MB.

Driffill:

If you can take a picture of the TX inerts, I would be most appreciative. I can then compare the wiring with my unit to confirm that they screwed up in the wiring.

Thanks.

Driffill:

Below are some pictures of my opened Transmitter (TX).

Opened casing - side-by-side view
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeeboont/10397726556/

Close-up view (Right = throttle/yaw stick; Left = pitch/roll stick)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeeboont/10397705844/

Top-Down view (Right = pitch/roll stick; Left = throttle/yaw stick; antenna is facing down)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeeboont/10397756396/

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Doesn't show much, but I'll type it

zume8uru.jpg

yvuvu9y3.jpg

AIN1 = right stick (from front, on left looking into the back of Tx) left-right movement
AIN2 = right stick, up-down movement
K1 = IOC switch
K2 = GPS/ATTI switch
AIN3 = Left stick, up-down movement - THROTTLE
AIN4 = Left stick, Left-right movement (Yaw)

AIN5 = pitch control (7th channel)
AIN6 = Gain Control?? (8th channel??)

The two empty ports on the bottom of the Main Board intrigue me! I wonder what they are for??? I might test the pins another day!

Driffill:

I think I may have found the problem.

On my Mode 2 TX, I currently see the following linked up.

AIN1 = RIGHT STICK (from front, on left looking into the back of Tx) left-right movement ROLL
AIN2 = LEFT STICK, up-down movement - THROTTLE
K1 = IOC switch
K2 = GPS/ATTI switch
AIN3 = RIGHT STICK, up-down movement PITCH
AIN4 = LEFT STICK, Left-right movement YAW

I hope that this solves it!!! Thanks Driffill!!!!!!

(Some forum members commented that I may have the older TX since the Throttle does not bounce back to 0. Could this be the reason why I don't hear any beeping sound when I switch on the TX unit? This is the other thing that bothers me. However when I activate the TX Calibration combination, I do get the beeping sound. Just no beeping sound when I switch on.)

FINALLY!!!!

Special thanks to Driffill and everyone who contributed in helping. I successfully flew my quad last night and had one of the most liberating 15 minutes of flight (included a couple of crashes as this is my first time) and my patience and persistence finally paid off.

One last question. I noticed that there was some slight drift as it hovered. Any idea how to solve this?

Thanks.

jabatan said:
FINALLY!!!!

Special thanks to Driffill and everyone who contributed in helping. I successfully flew my quad last night and had one of the most liberating 15 minutes of flight (included a couple of crashes as this is my first time) and my patience and persistence finally paid off.

One last question. I noticed that there was some slight drift as it hovered. Any idea how to solve this?

Thanks.

Great final goal !.
Perform Advanced Calibration (away from magnetic sources and over an horizontal leveled surface) :ugeek:
That must fix drifting while hovering.
PD: Perform Compass 360° dance before your 1st flight in every place. Repower phantom and then great flights. No much time and your craft will be safer each time ;) (248+ flights without issuses here )

jumanoc:

Great advise!!! I'll be sure to practice that.

I have the original-original control too ;) so it didn't return to centre, but I added the shapeways throttle mod so it now does. When I first turn my Tx on, I get the beep that your missing, hmmmm, odd.

GPS can have some more drift than you might expect. But it could also be some issue . . . In GPS mode, let it hover and try taking note of how far it drifts without any control input, you should find it drifts to a point and adjusts back on its own, if it keeps drifting off more than say 7~8 meters, than you may have an issue . . .

Also, I found with the non return throttle, finding 50% wasn't as easy as I thought, so I'd think I have it hovering, but it was slowly climbing or lowering, added the centre throttle mod and did a Tx calibration and now its fine :)

I've had almost enough crashes to make up a little compilation video, should be funny :)

Netwarrior said:
When you put the top cover on, is it aligned properly so the red sticker stripes area lines up with the bottom part? I made the mistake of having it a quarter turn off and it looked as though my props were on correctly because they matched the embossed arrows but since the top part of the shell was put on wrong, my motors just spun at full throttle with no lift off. After correctly aligning the top and bottom half of the body, all worked perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Netwarrior, you are my hero. I had to remove the top cover on my phantom to connect power for my new transmitter. When I reassembled the unit, it ran fine, but will not take off. Winds up, but would not go. I decided to search this page for help. Read your post and realized right away what I had done. Thanks for posting. Saved me a lot of wasted time and effort trying to figure out what I had done.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues