New Phantom does not 'take-off' from ground at full throttle

Reaction score
Hi! I recently bought a DJI Phantom from an overseas online store and received it earlier this week.

I was able to assemble the DJI Phantom and everything checked out ok except that the Phantom unit is unable to take of the ground despite putting it at full throttle.

I have done the following:

1) Charged my Phantom battery
2) Ensured that the Propellers are correctly installed with correct clockwise and anti-clockwise rotation as per manual.

When I read the manual and the DJI online FAQ (http://www.dji.com/faq/phantom-faq/), I came across this...

The aircraft does not take off or turns over when pushing the throttle stick.
1. The propeller assembly is not correct. Check that the rotation of the propellers and motors are matched.
2. Sensor error is too big, the system will not work. Please connect the assistant software, enter the “Tools” – > IMU calibration, watch the “IMU calibration” videos, carry out basic calibration or advanced calibration.

I then proceeded to install the DJI Assistance Software and was able to do the IMU calibration as described above. However, this still does not solve the problem. Below is a video I made tonight to show you guys what I meant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6JumrNy2GI

Please advise as I have failed to find similar experience from others and the solution to the problem.

Thanks.

Re: New Phantom does not 'take-off' from ground at full thro

netphreak:

Thanks. Yes. On the assistant software (v.2.18), I confirm that under the Channel Monitor, all A-E-T-R registers a full swing from -1000 to 1000.

My Gain setting is also at default (Basic: 125/125/100/100; Attitude: 125/125) and I did try increasing Pitch to 150% for Basic and Attitude to see if it was under powered but no luck. The spinning when I max out throttle was louder but it does not even lift. (I confirm that air was pushing down to the floor hence props were installed properly).

Any other thoughts?

looks like your props are on right....but that is NOT full power....... the stick may be all the way up but it is not full power....do you have a multimeter? Curious to know your battery voltage....or an adjustment in the naza insuring full throttle movement in the naza assistant.

Also right at the end when you went to shut it off it appeared to go into full throttle for an instant...thats what makes me think you might have something messed up in where/how the sticks are assigned or values...

When you put the top cover on, is it aligned properly so the red sticker stripes area lines up with the bottom part? I made the mistake of having it a quarter turn off and it looked as though my props were on correctly because they matched the embossed arrows but since the top part of the shell was put on wrong, my motors just spun at full throttle with no lift off. After correctly aligning the top and bottom half of the body, all worked perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

It doesn't appear he has the stripes on...but i checked his rotation against my phantom and it appears the props are on right and spinning in the right direction.....it does not sound like the motors are attaining full throttle

This is not a prop issue. He is not getting full power. It looks like an older transmitter too.

How long do you keep the throttle at 100%? My Phantom usually takes a couple of seconds to spin up take off power.

When you flash the Phantom up to 4.0 there is a default setting file that needs to be applied to the Phantom through the NAZA software. Make sure that the file has been applied and then run the transmitter calibration again.

If that fails then restore the Phantom to default in the NAZA and then run through all of the calibrations again. My guess is that there is something funky with the transmitter.

After being turned on, shouldn't the transmitter beep if the throttle is not brought down to the zero position? If the transmitter thinks mid point is zero then would it think 100% is 50%(mid point).

Guys, thanks for responding to my SOS with your advises.

netphreak See Part 2 of the YouTube link below. I confirm that all the sticks are able to range from -1000 to +1000.

thetac I agree with you in that it is NOT full power! I don't have a multimeter BUT my LiPo battery is the stock Phantom battery i.e. 11.1v. The battery is fully charged as confirmed by my EOS Sentry.
As, you're being very observant. Yes. I did notice the sudden surge in throttle when I bring the Pitch joystick down in combination with throttle joystick down to zero (execute CSC for shutdown). Question, how do I check to see how the sticks are assigned? Again, please check my Part 2 video to confirm your suspicion and let me know.

Netwarrior It is properly aligned.

miskatonic I pushed my throttle up for more than 3 secs. In fact, pushing it there longer does not change the outcome. I have applied the "Phantom Default Configuration Parameters" as downloaded and nothing changed. I have applied it twice.

Part 2 - Checking TX and IMU calibration using Naza Assistant Software.
http://youtu.be/0tW7z4gy5Io

SOME ADDITIONAL OBSERVATIONS
I noticed that when I switch on the TX (GPS ATTI. mode) and then plug in the LiPo to the Phantom, the position of the TX's Throttle makes a BIG DIFFERENCE. (I see the same problem with ATTI. mode as well)

If I were to switch on the TX and have the Throttle set at minimum (pushed to bottom; it does not matter whether I had the throttle set at centre or bottom/low before I switch on the TX. as long as I have the throttle at bottom/low when I connect the LiPo to the Phantom), I will get the following observations:
a. The sequence of the LED lights are as follows ... all 4 lights under the props (2 reds and 2 greens) blinks simultaneously twice.... main LED will blink in sequence red, green, yellow, red, green, yellow, green, green, green, green... then a very fast burst of red x 4times (which is repeated).
b. I then connect it to Naza Assistance s/w. I get the ERROR[29] message below. I immediately notice that the "E"/throttle is very close to "0", even when I have the throttle stick unchanged at the bottom. When I move the throttle slowly up, it starts to move to from 0 to 1000 and by the time I reach the centre on my throttle stick, it max out at 1000 for the remaining top 1/2 of the throttle stick movement.

ERROR[29]
Motors Start failure caused by TX stick(s) mid point error too big
If the TX stick(s) mid point error is too big, Motors Start will fail when you execute the Combination Stick Commands (CSC) and lead to the aircraft will not takeoff.. And the LED will blink Red four times per second continually to warn you.
TX stick(s) mid point error too big can be caused by the following reasons:
(1) There is TX stick (except the throttle stick) not at center when power on the autopilot system.
(2) The TX sticks has been trimmed, which leads to the large deviation of mid point. For example, the SUB-TRIM has been adjusted for Futaba transmitter.
(3) The TX stick(s) travel has larger asymmetry.
For the reason (1), please put all TX sticks at the mid point, and then power cycle the autopilot system to re-record the mid point. If the problem continues, that can be caused by the reason (2) or reason (3), you need to adjust the output range of your TX, and then use the Assistant Software to redo the TX calibration. Please carry out the following procedures.
(1) Connect to the Assistant software, click Basic-> R/C-> Command Sticks Calibration, and push all TX sticks throughout their complete travel range to see if any stick cannot reach its largest position.
(2) Adjust the largest travel of TX stick until the cursor on the Assistant software can reach both end positions, according to your TX manual.
(3) Power cycle the autopilot system, note that power cycle is required.
(4) Redo the TX calibration according to the Assistant software.

When I unplug it from Assistant Software, I am not able to activate the motors of the Phantom by executing CSC as confirmed in the message above.

If I were to put throttle at centre, switch on TX, connect LiPo to Phantom, I get the following observations:
a. The sequence of the LED lights are as follows ... all 4 lights under the props (2 reds and 2 greens) blinks simultaneously twice.... main LED will blink in sequence red, green, yellow, red, green, yellow, green, green, green, green... then a repeated sequence of fast green-green then fast red-red-red <repeat.. I think the fast green-green is confirmation that I am on GPS mode (if I switch to ATTI, it is replaced by yellow-yellow instead). Similarly, I think the fast red-red-red is because I'm operating indoors and there is no GPS connection.

When I connect to the Naza A.Software, the "E"/Throttle is now normal i.e. it is able to swing to -1000 when I push throttle down, 0 when I have it centred, and +1000 when I push it up. I take it that this is correct.

My question.... Is this normal? when I watch the DJI tutorial, they repeated remind us to set throttle all the way down before connecting LiPo to Phantom. Instead, based on the above two observations, I need to set the throttle to centre otherwise I get the "Motors Start failure caused by TX stick(s) mid point error too big" error hence I can't start the Phantom.

Hope this sheds some more light to help you guys figure out what's wrong with my setup.

Thanks in advance.

Buk, when I switch on the transmitter, I do not get any beep sound. Instead, I see the front red light blinking lights to blink several times before settling into a continuous red light.

Is your unit operating differently?

jabatan said:
Buk, when I switch on the transmitter, I do not get any beep sound. Instead, I see the front red light blinking lights to blink several times before settling into a continuous red light.

Is your unit operating differently?

If you have it, look at the PHANTOM Quick Start Manual V1.5 2013.04.09 Revision. On page 16 are charts of LED and Sound Indicator Descriptions. You will see a listing of the sounds your transmitter should make.

The information is also on page 16 of the PHANTOM Quick Start Manual V1.7 2013.09.25 Revision. This version of the manual is still available on the support page of the DJI web site.
http://download.dji-innovations.com/downloads/phantom/en/PHANTOM_Quick_Start_Manual_v1.7_en.pdf

The earliest version of the transmitter does not have the spring loaded throttle and does not automatically spring to the 50% position.

Buk, thanks for the input. I currently have that v1.7 of the Q.S. Manual you mentioned. My transmitter must be the older transmitter as it is not spring loaded for the throttle. I opened up the TX and on the motherboard, it is dated 2012/10/16 (It has some chinese characters that I can't read).

Again, I confirm that the transmitter when switched on does not make the BBBBBB.. sound when my Throttle stick is not at the bottom.

Is this confirmation that my TX unit is faulty? When I put the throttle at centre when I switch it on and activate my Phantom, the Naza Assistant s/w will still give me "E" range from -1000 to +1000. It is only when I start with the throttle at the bottom that the "E" range is from 0 (at bottom) to +1000 (at centre) and all the way +1000.

Thanks.

Conduct this simple test:
With no battery in the Phantom and the Phantom not connected USB to a computer and the transmitter turned OFF, move the throttle stick (left stick) on the transmitter clear to the top, 100% full throttle. Now without touching any sticks, turn on the transmitter. The red light should come on solid (no blinking) and the transmitter should be beeping - one long beep and two short beeps. Continuously beeping that sequence. Now gently move the throttle stick to the mid position, 50%. NOTHING should happen. The transmitter LED will still be on and the transmitter will continue to beep the sequence.

Now from the 50% position, slowly move the throttle to the lowest position, 0% throttle. When you get down to about 20% or less, the LED should blink one long blink and three short blinks and then the LED should stop blinking and remain on solid. The beeping should stop too. This simple test will work if you have fresh batteries in the transmitter. Dying batteries will have a different effect.

If however, when you start this simple test and the blinking and beeping change at the mid position, then something is out of calibration or damaged. This would imply to me when trying to fly that at the 50% throttle position you maybe sending a 0% percent signal to the Phantom and at the 100% throttle position you are sending a 50% signal the the Phantom and it will not output enough power to lift off. Simply stated: full throttle is not full throttle.

As a warning, this information is coming from the experience of a relative noob.

Buk, thanks for the comprehensive advise.

I regret to say that with new sets of batteries on the TX, when I set the throttle high and switch on the TX, I will get the blinking red lights on the TX followed by a permanent red light. No sound at all. When moving down to 50% and then 0%, no beeping sound can be heard and no change in the red light.

I can confirm that the TX's speaker is working as when I do the TX calibration on the device, I hear all the expected beeps from the TX device.

This is frustrating! Is there any firmware updates for the TX device?

Thanks.

netphreak, yes. I have done that many times but no change in results.

This is obviously not a new Phantom as you don't have self centering sticks. Can you please provide a little background?

I watched your video again. Something is not right in that when you go disarm the motors you get a sudden burst of power to the motors. If you go back to the NAZA set up screen, do you have any of the the transmitter sticks set to REV? Is your transmitter set up for Mode 1 or Mode 2?

Can you post a video of you moving the sticks around one at a time to their various positions? Move the right stick to up then down then left then right. My guess is that nothing is faulty but something is mis-configured. One position on these sticks should give you full power.

Not sure it this is relevant to identifying the problem I have.. and maybe someone can confirm as well...

Checking TX and IMU calibration on Naza Assistant SW - Part 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tW7z4gy5Io

In the Naza-M (V2) Quick Start Guide (v 1.20), on page 26, there is a keychart of the V1 Main Controller Port Description. Here, it says that "A" is for Roll, "E" is for Pitch, "T" is for Throttle, and "R" is for rudder. I don't see these 4 ports being used oon my MC currently in my stock Phantom when I open up the casing. HOWEVER, as you watch the above youtube video, when I adjust the Throttle, it is clearly reflected in movement of "E" under the Assistant Software. Could this be the reason why it is not lifting?

If we're on to something, how do I correct this?

Absolutely....if you have the throttle stick (left stick) doing the job of the elevator it's not going to work...in the naza asst software when you move the left stick up and down it should move the throttle in the asst. up and down and if you move it left and right it should move the rudder back and forth in the assistant(this rotates the phantom left and right)....if either of these are moving the elevator or aileron then there is something plugged in wrong in the case. If you move the right stick up and down this controls the elevator and moves the phantom forward and backward...if you move the right stick left to right it controls the aileron and banks the phantom left and right. Take the case apart and move the plugs around until everything is moving where it should be moving in the asst. If in the asst. things are not working like i just described chances are you have things plugged in wrong......

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4