New P4P crashed into a building - GPS and no VPS/OAS didn't work

Reaction score
Yesterday I lost my new P4P during an innocent flight. I was shooting some skateboarders in an alley and everything was fine. Suddenly the AC started to drift towards a nearby building, I acted quickly and turned it away but it was too late it kept going and hit the building. Fell some good 5 stories and is completely destroyed.

As for the obstacle avoidance system... well I always flew these quads without relying on these OA systems to start with. My motto is, never intently get the AC in a situation that depends solely on the machine to avoid it a crash. I used to fly 3D copters and planes and all, and I fly conservatively regardless of whatever I'm flying with. But of course I expected the OAS to assist in a situation like this (or I wouldn't have paid for it...). It should work to avoid something like a building in broad daylight and slow flying, but somehow it didn't.

I downloaded the data to AirData and indeed the GPS signal score is "purple dangerous" in those last moments. This P4P came brand new with a defective GPS unit that was replaced by a local DJI authorized dealer and flew fine in the previous 3-4 flights. This final one was perhaps the 5th or 6th.

I've owned assembled quads of all kinds, Inspires, Phantoms since the P2 and never had such terminal crash like this before. Had to happen one day I guess :confused: Now I guess I'll order a P4P+ and try the controller with the Crystal Sky monitor - because I already have one extra for iOS devices :p

At least the skateboarders video came out pretty nice LOL

And yes, of course I did cut off the images of the P4P crashing down from the final clip :D:D:D

I downloaded the data to AirData and indeed the GPS signal score is "purple dangerous" in those last moments. This P4P came brand new with a defective GPS unit that was replaced by a local DJI authorized dealer and flew fine in the previous 3-4 flights.

It sounds like you lost GPS and the drone switched to ATTI thus drifting away.
And in ATTI none of the obstacle sensors work.
Maybe you want to upload your flight log here and share the link with us:
https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

Yesterday I lost my new P4P during an innocent flight. I was shooting some skateboarders in an alley and everything was fine. Suddenly the AC started to drift towards a nearby building, I acted quickly and turned it away but it was too late it kept going and hit the building. Fell some good 5 stories and is completely destroyed.

As for the obstacle avoidance system... well I always flew these quads without relying on these OA systems to start with. My motto is, never intently get the AC in a situation that depends solely on the machine to avoid it a crash. I used to fly 3D copters and planes and all, and I fly conservatively regardless of whatever I'm flying with. But of course I expected the OAS to assist in a situation like this (or I wouldn't have paid for it...). It should work to avoid something like a building in broad daylight and slow flying, but somehow it didn't.

I downloaded the data to AirData and indeed the GPS signal score is "purple dangerous" in those last moments. This P4P came brand new with a defective GPS unit that was replaced by a local DJI authorized dealer and flew fine in the previous 3-4 flights. This final one was perhaps the 5th or 6th.

I've owned assembled quads of all kinds, Inspires, Phantoms since the P2 and never had such terminal crash like this before. Had to happen one day I guess :confused: Now I guess I'll order a P4P+ and try the controller with the Crystal Sky monitor - because I already have one extra for iOS devices :p

At least the skateboarders video came out pretty nice LOL

And yes, of course I did cut off the images of the P4P crashing down from the final clip :D:D:D
Did it drift into the building from it's side? Because OA won't work on sides as I'm sure you know unless in Beginner or Tripod mode. Sorry about your bird man!

From the content of the video it looks like it could have easily been done in tripod or even beginner mode, which would have enabled 360-degree OA.

Obstacle avoidance is not disabled when flying in ATTI mode.

That's interesting. I thought with ATTI everything but barometer is disabled.
Good to know. It says nothing about it in the manual. All it says is this:
Atti.jpg

The manual is referring to the VPS (Vision Positioning System). The downward sensors are not used for obstacle avoidance.

Did it drift into the building from it's side? Because OA won't work on sides as I'm sure you know unless in Beginner or Tripod mode. Sorry about your bird man!

It was in Tripod mode a few times but I remember disabling it on times too, so I honestly can´t say how it was set at the time it drifted. Probably not in Tripod or else it would have avoided the building (I guess LOL).

Reactions: KevMo Photog
From the content of the video it looks like it could have easily been done in tripod or even beginner mode, which would have enabled 360-degree OA.

Yeah as I said I was in Tripod mode a few times, but disabled it to get some shots... Next time I´ll be more carefull for sure, I guess with time and after all these yrs flying all these things we can get soft at occasion. Yeah I´ve crashed a whole lot of quads, helis and planes in all these yrs but this is the first DJI drone I lost like this! :rolleyes:

Urban areas can be bad for GPS reception due to the sky being obscured by tall buildings etc. If it loses GPS it will revert to ATTI and is more difficult to hover and maintain position so it is wise to have experience flying in ATTI mode so when you lose GPS you can know what to do.

Brian

Reactions: KevMo Photog
Urban areas can be bad for GPS reception due to the sky being obscured by tall buildings etc. If it loses GPS it will revert to ATTI and is more difficult to hover and maintain position so it is wise to have experience flying in ATTI mode so when you lose GPS you can know what to do.

Brian

True, but there´s no ATTI practice in the world that can save us in some situations. I mean, of course it´s good to know and have experience and it can be a saver indeed, but it´s not a safe pass. I´m quite used to fly without GPS (quads, helis, planes...), even the Phantom line, tons of time in ATTI here, but I do my best to stay on the safe side and knowing it can go bad. If it flyes, it can fall.

And there are other particulars here too. The Phantom in specific can be very hard to know in which direction it is just looking at the AC or even at the screen. Especially in some situations, which usually are a lot less than ideal (wind, loss of GPS, obstacles nearby, etc.). Unlike a 3D copter or acrobatic plane for instance, in a split second you get it, actually you just know the position or have a sense all the time when flying. You have no screen nor a subject to keep in frame either, at least most of the time.

Also, it´s one thing to practice ATTI in an open field without obstacles - even with wind and gusts you can get away fine 99% of the time because you´re cool and prepared, paying attention doing just that. Even when you´re following or filming something. But when you´re near obstacles and in real-life situations, dealing with multiple distractions and other factors and all, it can go wrong, I take that for a fact.

I´ve seen some really bad-a** super experienced pilots crash in the most stupid situations, and in fact some beginners are less daring and more attention-paying than some old timers. Thus the OAS getting so much attention from DJI. As the saying goes, the best swimmers are usually the ones who drown first.

Reactions: MaxHam
Agreed. The more I fly I have to remind myself not to get cocky and make mistakes. I did that a few weeks ago by being stupid and ignoring a low batt warning. Failsafe she went and luckily went straight down into a ravine dead center. Only a broken prop and my ego were hurt. Lesson learned. Sucks you lost yours but you don't seem to gutted about it. lol

Yeah as I said I was in Tripod mode a few times, but disabled it to get some shots... Next time I´ll be more carefull for sure, I guess with time and after all these yrs flying all these things we can get soft at occasion. Yeah I´ve crashed a whole lot of quads, helis and planes in all these yrs but this is the first DJI drone I lost like this!
I didn't mean to sound unsympathetic because I am! Nobody thinks something like that will happen to them... until it does :(. Nice footage by the way.

True, but there´s no ATTI practice in the world that can save us in some situations.

I agree.
In your situation/in an alley required response time might have been 1-2 seconds to avoid the crash.
This is nothing when you are concentrated on filming.
Too bad that the side sensors are not available in Atti mode, that might have saved your drone.

Actually I think that all these safety systems/sensors make people feel so comfortable that even more crashes occur.
Before my first drone I saw this video and couldn't even imagine those drones can be crashed.
As fascinating as these promoting videos are they seduce the customer to try all kinds of crazy stuff not knowing the systems limitations.
(Not talking about you, Alex)

Too bad that the side sensors are not available in Atti mode, that might have saved your drone.
The side sensors are available if you lose GPS and go into Atti mode as long as you are also in either Tripod mode or Beginner mode. Unfortunately the OP had exited Tripod mode in order to get a particular shot.

The side sensors are available if you lose GPS and go into Atti mode as long as you are also in either Tripod mode or Beginner mode. Unfortunately the OP had exited Tripod mode in order to get a particular shot.

Tripod/Beginner mode are available in ATTI?

I didn't mean to sound unsympathetic because I am! Nobody thinks something like that will happen to them... until it does :(. Nice footage by the way.

Nah I didn't take as you were being unsympathetic, it's OK and I take full responsibility for my mistake as I said it had to happen one day... I guess... LOL. Of course it's possible to fly a lifetime without a crash like this, I've lost quite a few planes and copters so I know the feeling :p So far I've been either smart or lucky with my DJI drones in this regard. Probably lucky :D

Haven't tried that specifically, but I do know that you can use tripod mode when GPS is not available (which is essentially ATTi mode.)

Tripod mode descriptions are very confusing.
In the manual it says it'll switch to Atti if no sufficient GPS is available. Then again DJI mentiones Tripod being great for indoor.
Unfortunately I do not have any chance due to weather since weeks to fly and test all these things. I'm stuck in virtual reality.

See description under the video: "Tripod Mode is perfect for fine framing and indoor flying"
Hard for me to watch these videos. This guy gives me the kreeps ;-)

Reactions: Jase1125
I agree.
In your situation/in an alley required response time might have been 1-2 seconds to avoid the crash.
This is nothing when you are concentrated on filming.

Actually I think that all these safety systems/sensors make people feel so comfortable that even more crashes occur.
Before my first drone I saw this video and couldn't even imagine those drones can be crashed.
As fascinating as these promoting videos are they seduce the customer to try all kinds of crazy stuff not knowing the systems limitations.
(Not talking about you, Alex)

Yeah, a couple of seconds of distraction is all it took. BAM. It's usually like that with drones, a bit different from crashing a copter or plane in my experience. I tried to act on instinct and practice/training but I had already set this up for myself in the moments before, really. I wasn't even relying on the OAS to avoid the crash, I never do, I was just hoping (hoping post-crash as odd as it may seem...) that it would keep the drone away form the building. But indeed, maybe I got a bit lazy or relaxed, or distracted.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1