New here to update or not to update firmware.

Even I am not an expert. I can tell you I have been flying my P3P, always updated, with great pleasure and no issues at all.
I read and agreed that every update is solving some bugs or increasing functions, so. Why not been updated?
Finally, if you have an incident and you want to complaint DJI, you have to confirm that your drone was updated before the incident.
What issues did this last update correct for you?

You've been writing the same crap on how many threads of people experiencing problems with 1.2.6? Give it a rest. Updating to 1.2.6 in lieu of the known issues with it on this forum is a TERRIBLE idea. Ultrasonic System Errors, instability, vertical drifting. Do not update from 1.1.9 if you haven't done so. Unless of course you watched Deer Hunter one too many times and like playing Russian Roulette, in which case you should totally update. Even DJI acknowledges the problem with 1.2.6, including on the phone to me personally. Somehow @Steve Moore knows better though.

You've responded to at least 10 posts about the "insanely miniscule" percentage of P3P's affected, yet you've wasted hours over the last few days addressing the miniscule percentage. Keep up the good work...
Whats insane is that there are ten posts that I had to address it in! I wont give it a rest any more than you will crying about instability issues. Its funny that its ok for you to cry about what I'm saying, but but its ok for you to state you opinion. Get over yourself! Yes, as I've said several time.. A few people are having issues with the update. I've never denied that. But there are OBVIOUSLY far more that DONT have a problem than do. Again, get over yourself.. your **** is broke, cry to the right people and get it fixed. Attempting to scare others to a point that they wont fly is HARDLY a useful direction to go, but you beat the horse to death! The update wouldn't exist if it wasn't released to deal with some problem, or give us access to some new feature. We all know there isn't any new feature, so its a fix for some bug. So when someone doesnt update, and they get hit with that bug.. lets just imagine that its related to loss of signal and a random fly-away, are YOU going to buy them a new Phantom? Because DJI is going to laugh at them!

Again, we have no idea what was fixed, but a few people having instability under 20' is hardly grounds to play roulette with being hit with what ever WAS fixed and not having a warranty to fall back on

Whats insane is that there are ten posts that I had to address it in! I wont give it a rest any more than you will crying about instability issues. Its funny that its ok for you to cry about what I'm saying, but but its ok for you to state you opinion. Get over yourself! Yes, as I've said several time.. A few people are having issues with the update. I've never denied that. But there are OBVIOUSLY far more that DONT have a problem than do. Again, get over yourself.. your **** is broke, cry to the right people and get it fixed. Attempting to scare others to a point that they wont fly is HARDLY a useful direction to go, but you beat the horse to death! The update wouldn't exist if it wasn't released to deal with some problem, or give us access to some new feature. We all know there isn't any new feature, so its a fix for some bug. So when someone doesnt update, and they get hit with that bug.. lets just imagine that its related to loss of signal and a random fly-away, are YOU going to buy them a new Phantom? Because DJI is going to laugh at them!

Again, we have no idea what was fixed, but a few people having instability under 20' is hardly grounds to play roulette with being hit with what ever WAS fixed and not having a warranty to fall back on
However, you are saying everyone should update... for unknown changes, even though we don't know of any corrections and something could (and has) gone wrong for some people. Basically, people who have had no problems at all should upgrade and take a chance that something could go wrong in order to gain... something that no one knows about.

Then factor in DJI's prior history with firmware issues.

I agree that many people have not had problems but this may not be the defacto reason to recommend every update. I think the best advice might be, if nothing is wrong you might want to give it more time as this update does not appear to change much, if anything.

If nothing else, we know you lose the ability to manually set the channel and also reduce the video bit rate, which appeared to increase flying distance.

Reactions: Steve Moore
What I'm saying is that just because a few have an issue doesn't mean all should be afraid. Its THAT simple. I'm battling the FEAR that all you anti-updaters are trying to instill in new pilots minds. At the end of the day... the thing wont hover worth a crap at low altitude. So what? Dont fly at that altitude! Knowing there is a limitation is great, but running away because if it is silly!

What I'm saying is that just because a few have an issue doesn't mean all should be afraid. Its THAT simple. I'm battling the FEAR that all you anti-updaters are trying to instill in new pilots minds. At the end of the day... the thing wont hover worth a crap at low altitude. So what? Dont fly at that altitude! Knowing there is a limitation is great, but running away because if it is silly!
Perhaps you never experienced the 2nd to last firmware update that DJI released for the Vision. It was so bad they had to pull it after a few hours. They also recommended that customers downgrade the firmware in the meantime. There are also many issues that have existed in the SDK for the P2 and P3 which DJI has yet to fix. They are also months over due for adding waypoints ability to the P3. So forgive us if we don't buy into the thought that everyone should update because of unknown benefits when DJI has such a poor track record.

If you dont like the track record then why did you buy? No, I didnt have any experience with the P2. And no, I along with countless thousands of other still have not had issue with the latest P3 update.. WEEKS later. Sorry your life sucks, but drawing others into that suck doesnt help anyone!

If you dont like the track record then why did you buy? No, I didnt have any experience with the P2. And no, I along with countless thousands of other still have not had issue with the latest P3 update.. WEEKS later. Sorry your life sucks, but drawing others into that suck doesnt help anyone!

DJI is well aware of this major problem. You would think a company with a billion dollar valuation would empower their customer service staff to be able to send out firmware that either allows a previous install or allows the user to reinstall current firmware, on a case by case basis, at their discretion.

You recommend people upgrade to 1.2.6 because you uhh think it uhh might fix some bugs. No one on here had any performance issues on 1.1.9. You've obviously wasted so much time addressing people with firmware problems after upgrading to 1.2.6. Give it a rest. It's causing problems for people.

Last edited:
I bought another DJI product as there are easy ways to work around their poor implementation of firmware. This can be done by waiting to see how it works for other people before using it for yourself. This has been what I've been recommending. I also stated it might not be best to blindly update as you recommend and pointed out several reasons why. The way you've supported tour point is to mention unknown possible corrections and to tell me my life sucks. Hardly glowing endorsements for your posts or character.

We arent talking about my character or yours. We are talking about the destructive nature of mentality that anti-updaters on new pilots. I highly doubt that you, if you had updated and had issues, would be loving life right now. But the FACT is taht those with issues are a very insignificant percentage of overall P3Ps. Those are the facts.. no scary BS... Simply facts.

We arent talking about my character or yours. We are talking about the destructive nature of mentality that anti-updaters on new pilots. I highly doubt that you, if you had updated and had issues, would be loving life right now. But the FACT is taht those with issues are a very insignificant percentage of overall P3Ps. Those are the facts.. no scary BS... Simply facts.
Since you have stated that these are facts, care to point us to your source? What are the numbers?

TO ALL PARTICIPANTS IN THIS THREAD

C'mon people. I have already had to issue warning to some participants. Can we not have a thread without bickering? Discussion is welcome, arguing is not. Make constructive post or none at all. Agree to disagree. If you want to update after reading about problems (DJI seems to have many issues when new software comes out), feel free to do so, it is your drone, it is your choice. If you don't want to upgrade just yet... or ever, thats fine too.
So lets keep it on topic. Any other senseless arguing or other problems will most likely get your post deleted and a warning issued to your account.

You've been writing the same crap on how many threads of people experiencing problems with 1.2.6? Give it a rest. Updating to 1.2.6 in lieu of the known issues with it on this forum is a TERRIBLE idea. Ultrasonic System Errors, instability, vertical drifting. Do not update from 1.1.9 if you haven't done so. Unless of course you watched Deer Hunter one too many times and like playing Russian Roulette, in which case you should totally update. Even DJI acknowledges the problem with 1.2.6, including on the phone to me personally. Somehow @Steve Moore knows better though.

You've responded to at least 10 posts about the "insanely miniscule" percentage of P3P's affected, yet you've wasted hours over the last few days addressing the miniscule percentage. Keep up the good work...
Now boy, boys, boys. Try and get along. These are only your toys you are talkin 'bout.

TO ALL PARTICIPANTS IN THIS THREAD

C'mon people. I have already had to issue warning to some participants. Can we not have a thread without bickering? Discussion is welcome, arguing is not. Make constructive post or none at all. Agree to disagree. If you want to update after reading about problems (DJI seems to have many issues when new software comes out), feel free to do so, it is your drone, it is your choice. If you don't want to upgrade just yet... or ever, thats fine too.
So lets keep it on topic. Any other senseless arguing or other problems will most likely get your post deleted and a warning issued to your account.
You are dealing with a bunch of adult kids here. LuvMyTJ, you got a full time job reffin this group.

Whenever DJi gets the FPV lag/freeze issue squared away, I won't upgrade until they start listing all the changes made to a firmware version.
Not the canned ' Various bug fixes'....listed in the firmware release notes.

I also won't upgrade for any new features that I can live without. I learned my lesson about going from 1.1.8 to 1.1.9. That's when I started having FPV issues.
Then when 1.2.6 came out, it didn't list a specific fix for FPV, but I was hopeful...hopes dashed again.

So, until my FPV issues are resolved, I will be forced to try each new version, hoping that the new FW overcomes the FPV problems without causing another unwanted bug.

Now boy, boys, boys. Try and get along. These are only your toys you are talkin 'bout.

That is where the problem lies! Too many people thinking of their toys and not realizing that its a tool as well. A tool to some that is fairly profitable. Children just cant understand that.

That is where the problem lies! Too many people thinking of their toys and not realizing that its a tool as well. A tool to some that is fairly profitable. Children just cant understand that.
You have to admit, most buy it for a toy. If its for profit, they sell those that are a lot more sophisticated.

You have to admit, most buy it for a toy. If its for profit, they sell those that are a lot more sophisticated.
Yes, but a lot more expense to only really add a second driver... not much value. If the camera was better then I would have made that choice, but as I think all have agreed, they are exactly the same. Same app, same range, and basically the same flight times. If things bet bigger I will likely pick up an Inspire 2.

Reactions: AbsPapa
Hello all,

Im usually filming in remote locations and 99% of the time by myself so I really hope they get a follow me working soon that would make my life much easier. I know I'll have to update when a third party or DJI enables that but until that happens I am not planning on updating.

I Bought the P3P specifically for video and photos for my youtube channel the question is will it hurt anything just to keep the stock firmware for a while?

Thanks in advance.
To update or not to update? That is obviously a very controversial subject. Just look at the response to your question. I'm one of the few that updated and mine didn't work after the update. It's now in for service.

I received my P3P today and after charging the batteries I immediately updated the firmware to the latest. Then IMU calibration, gimbal auto calibration and compass calibration. No issues at all. Rock solid steady and flying like a dream.

I haven't updated my P3A since I got it.

Too many threads of stuff going wrong, and the firmware I've been using has been perfect. No need for me to risk messing it up.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav