New GoPro Hero 3+ Description

Reaction score
See below for new GoPro Hero 3+ Black. Unclear whether current Zens will ever be able to carry new GoPro models. Change in size and weight will change balance of gimbal.

Steve

GoPro Hero 3+ marketing description:

Now redesigned to be smaller, sharper and faster, the GoPro HERO3+ Black Edition Camera makes significant improvements over last year's model. Trimming off 20% of its size makes it even lighter than last year's model, and it packs a faster onboard Wi-Fi – along with a new rechargeable lithium battery that has a 25% longer life. The HERO3+ also features a new compact and rugged housing that is waterproof down to a depth of 131' (40m) for underwater recording. To ensure you get the best shots possible, the HERO3+ Black Edition is now equipped with more creative and advanced shooting modes including SuperView Video mode and Auto Low Light mode. The GoPro Hero3+ Black Edition now captures 4Kp video at 15 fps, 2.7Kp at 30 fps, 1440p at 48 fps, Full HD 1080p at 60 fps, 960p at 100 fps and 720p video at 120 fps. The Silver edition now supports Full HD 1080p video at an improved 60 fps, as well as 720p at 120 fps. For still images, the HERO3+ Black Edition supports up to 12MP photos with a burst rate of up to 30 fps, while the HERO3+ Silver supports still capture at 10MP with a burst rate of up to 10 fps.

Size and weight are essentially the same for the camera. The changes are in the waterproof housing.

would love to know if it will work on zenmuse though. please, anyone with that information let us know!

Should be completely compatible with Zenmuse as far as size and function, but be aware there is a 2g weight difference and the Zenmuse is balanced like a Swiss watch. Will be up to some intrepid tester to let us know whether the weight causes any issue with balance and with the motors. The lens cap only weighs 1.5g and they tell you not to operate the Zenmuse even with that weight difference, so we'll see.

I suspect DJI will test and make an official pronouncement as to compatibility or not.

Now that details are becoming more available, it seems GoPro claims of smaller and lighter H3+ are not vs. naked H3. They are either vs. earlier GoPro models or refer to most recent model when using GoPro waterproof case. If we're lucky the wt difference is battery related but just might allow a filter to be added to get equal wt and acceptable balance when mounted on the GoPro Zen.

Steve

MrMediaGuy said:
Should be completely compatible with Zenmuse as far as size and function, but be aware there is a 2g weight difference and the Zenmuse is balanced like a Swiss watch. Will be up to some intrepid tester to let us know whether the weight causes any issue with balance and with the motors. The lens cap only weighs 1.5g and they tell you not to operate the Zenmuse even with that weight difference, so we'll see.

I suspect DJI will test and make an official pronouncement as to compatibility or not.

deluge2 said:
Now that details are becoming more available, it seems GoPro claims of smaller and lighter H3+ are not vs. naked H3. They are either vs. earlier GoPro models or refer to most recent model when using GoPro waterproof case. If we're lucky the wt difference is battery related but just might allow a filter to be added to get equal wt and acceptable balance when mounted on the GoPro Zen.

Steve

MrMediaGuy said:

Crap I didn't read this thread before ordering the Hero3+. I guess I can't use it straight out of the box? I need to balance it some how?

yalag said:
Crap I didn't read this thread before ordering the Hero3+. I guess I can't use it straight out of the box? I need to balance it some how?

Don't despair -- no one really knows yet, but I expect DJI will say very soon. If it does need to be balanced, it should be trivial. Two grams is not much, especially if it's not all taken from one side or corner.

I posted this in the other forum, but figured it might make more sense here. I've been prodding DJI on Facebook to clarify if the 3+ will work with the zenmuse. They made a post claiming they shot footage for the promo video that implies it was on a zenmuse. After avoiding the question the last day, they finally made another post tonight claiming that the Hero 3+ does in fact work with the H3-2D. At any rate, it seems like good news.

Quote from their facebook page -
Quick update - We can confirm the new GoPro Hero3+ Black Edition camera will work with our DJI Zenmuse H3-2D Gimbal.

Thanks very much for passing this info along! It will be interesting to see whether this is bourne out by actual user experience once H3+ units are in the hands of some Zen H3-2D users.

Steve

dsrphotography said:
I posted this in the other forum, but figured it might make more sense here. I've been prodding DJI on Facebook to clarify if the 3+ will work with the zenmuse. They made a post claiming they shot footage for the promo video that implies it was on a zenmuse. After avoiding the question the last day, they finally made another post tonight claiming that the Hero 3+ does in fact work with the H3-2D. At any rate, it seems like good news.

Quote from their facebook page -
Quick update - We can confirm the new GoPro Hero3+ Black Edition camera will work with our DJI Zenmuse H3-2D Gimbal.

Hands-On weight comparison

Based on avg of 10 measures of each combination of camera plus supplied battery:

H3 with 1050 mAh battery = 74.6 g

H3+ with 1180 mAh battery = 73.8 g

Note this is using scale that only displays to the nearest gram. And to confirm the obvious by now, size and case layout are identical. Haven't flown the H3+ in the Zen yet, but these data suggest, as DJI has indicated, that there will be no issues raised by using the new GoPro Hero 3+ in the Zenmuse H3(+)-2D.

Steve

I have flown the current Hero3 black many times with an ND or Polarizer on it. The gimbal has acted perfectly normal. Still flies stable. So I figure the lesser weight of the 3+ would only be negligible as well. So basically the extra filter weight has not impeded proper flight. So I am assume the slightly lesser weight would result in the same flight characteristics...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl