New Firmware Released for Phantom Vision

wfo211 said:
From within LR 5.3, I guess you can't apply the DJI lens corection profile (fisheye elimination) to the DNG file, can only apply the lens correction once you've exported the DNG to JPG?

"They" forgot to make the lens correction profile for DNG.

You are right, posting JPG pictures of DNG images is not a good way to evaluate the DNG image quality. However, the lossless DNG files are 27 Mb, Tiff is 41 Mb and PNG is 55 Mb. So no good way to post.

FYI, editing the file PHANTOM VISION FC200.lcp and changing

stCamera:CameraRawProfile="False" to "True"

does the trick and now you can do lens correction inside of Adobe Camera Raw. It recognizes the DNG file from PV2 and automatically corrects when you select "Enable Lens Profile Correction"

I guess DJI forgot to change this line in their code since the DNG was enabled

I guess that I have never seen a jpg file that did not obliterate the fine detail,
in the process of compression. Compare 50 x 50 pixel sections, at a size where
you can see the individual pixels, of an original pixel-data file, with the compressed
jpg pixels. Stuff that was there is gone, stuff the wasn't there appears (artifacts).

Maybe the jpgs from the P2V camera are extraordinarily good?

The ones that I see posted here (usually much reduced resolution)
appear to have many artifacts, much like an impressionist painting.

Peter,
You have the dreaded left hand unsharp version of the camera. I had that and had it changed and now I have the right hand unsharp!
So I'm swapping again and will continue to do so until I get a good one.
I printed a 12x10" early on Sunday and apart from the unsharpness I found it to be acceptable in dynamic range and noise. but certainly I wouldn't take it any bigger. I think if you get a good camera you will be OK.

docngo said:

does the trick and now you can do lens correction inside of Adobe Camera Raw. It recognizes the DNG file from PV2 and automatically corrects when you select "Enable Lens Profile Correction"

Photoshop or Lightroom? Which operating system? I didn't get that trick to work on Windows 8 & LR 5.3. Works on Windows 8 & CS5.

In which folder do you have the the profile file?

AnselA,

Windows 8.

C:\ProgramData\Adobe\CameraRaw\LensProfiles\1.0

Remember to check "show hidden files" in order to see the ProgramData folder.

You need to edit the file that is already there or put the edited file in that folder.

docngo said:

Changing the .lcp worked for me too. For those who don't understand how to do this, you need to open up the lens correction file (PHANTOM VISION FC200.lcp) in a text editor, change that line of text, and re-save the file as a .lcp file. In my case (using a mac), I found the DJI .lcp file in "Library/Application Support/Adobe/CameraRaw/LensProfiles/1.0/" but when I changed it there it didn't make a difference. So I copied the file to "/Users/[username]/Library/Application Support/Adobe/CameraRaw/LensProfiles/1.0/" which didn't have any lens profiles inside of it. Then, it worked and allowed me to apply the lens correction within Adobe Camera Raw.

I just went outside and took a few test photos, did some processing adjustments in Adobe Camera Raw and I am quite happy with the quality of the DNG's. I wasn't expecting a dramatic "night & day" kind of difference, but this is definitely an improvement if you are willing to put the time in when processing your best captures.

I uploaded a jpg and a dng to Dropbox if anyone wants to play around and examine the differences. I accidentally had my camera tilted to high and the props are visible, but I think this photo shows the improvements of the DNG over the JPG (as long as you spend a few minutes adjusting things like sharpness, noise, etc.) Here are links to the two files:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/192 ... I00024.DNG
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/192 ... I00024.JPG

One problem I did have was that when taking the photos the connection between the P2V and my iPhone/Tx would be briefly lost while the camera wrote the file to the micro-sd card. A couple times it gave me the "connection broken" error, just for a second. But also, I initially had the app settings for "When connection breaks" set to "Start Recording." With this enabled I found that after each DNG photo I took the P2V automatically started recording a video.

docngo said:

This trick does not appear to work on a Mac. (At least not for me.) Doing so results in an error message, "Unable to load lens profile." Perhaps someone else using Photoshop on a Mac can try it to confirm.

AnselA said:
Sledge said:
The RAW looks a little better, especially around the tree branches and also the brick pattern on the building.

The RAW has much less CA than JPG, could have reduced a little more...

I don't think it has less CA, it's just that the high jpeg compression is making (further) blurry mess of the fringing that's already there.

The good thing now is that we can correct CA and do our jpg compression afterward, and get cleaner jpegs...

Release note:

"Major New Features:
It also records the GPS location and relative attitude in the metadata of the Adobe DNG RAW file."

Did they mixed "attitude" and "altitude"? I have found only GPS altitude in metadata.

petersachs said:
This trick does not appear to work on a Mac. (At least not for me.) Doing so results in an error message, "Unable to load lens profile." Perhaps someone else using Photoshop on a Mac can try it to confirm.

Peter - I got it working with Photoshop on my Mac. I found the DJI .lcp file in "/Library/Application Support/Adobe/CameraRaw/LensProfiles/1.0/" but when I changed it there it didn't make a difference. So I copied the file to "/Users/[username]/Library/Application Support/Adobe/CameraRaw/LensProfiles/1.0/" which didn't have any lens profiles inside of it. Then, it worked and allowed me to apply the lens correction within Adobe Camera Raw.

docngo said:
AnselA,

Windows 8.

You need to edit the file that is already there or put the edited file in that folder.

I have done that, and it works for CS5 but not for LR5.3. They are using different version of ACR and apparently looking profiles at different places. Upgrade to LR5.3 installs the "Non-RAW" profile but not the "RAW" profile.

AnselA said:
docngo said:
AnselA,

Windows 8.

I have done that, and it works for CS5 but not for LR5.3. They are using different version of ACR and apparently looking profiles at different places. Upgrade to LR5.3 installs the "Non-RAW" profile but not the "RAW" profile.
Adobe changed how this works, sometime around the CS6 and LR4 releases. It used to use a common set of lens profiles in the \ProgramData directory. Since those releases, they've switched to storing custom lens profiles in each user's profile directory instead. This mostly prevents your customized profiles from being over-written with default ones, every time Adobe makes a new release.

petersachs said:
docngo said:

I hope you edited it with a plain-text editor, not something like Microsoft Word. Fancy word processors tend to corrupt plain-text files like these.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj