New, Excited and Ignorant!

Reaction score
First off I have been tremendously grateful to stumble on this discussion group prior to purchasing my P4. Wealth of knowledge from some subject matter experts.
I am going to be purchasing my first phantom as soon as I figure out what I need / want. I thought I knew but after reading a lot on this site I think I still need some advice.
I will be using this drone for roof inspections primarily but also recreation. After reading about the possibility of photogrammetry, leveraging other software apps (I had originally thought the DJI app was all there was) and just being able to do a lot of really amazing things and opening up who knows what doors.
I was going to get the DJi supplied tablet but I am wondering if I should not get that and use my old iphone 7plus instead and load something on it! (Not sure what yet!)
Sorry for the long question but you all have opened my eyes a lot wider than they already were! Thanks

Reactions: GrammatonxXXxCleric
I was going to get the DJi supplied tablet but I am wondering if I should not get that and use my old iphone 7plus instead and load something on it! (Not sure what yet!)
The P4 pro is very good for simple flying and photography but getting the regular P4 pro gives you a lot more flexibility if you are wanting to do any photogrammetry.
The screen on phone or the P4 pro+ are a bit on the small side for mapping apps too.

Welcome to the addiction. Using a display that you can actually see would be the best bet. After all, you've just launched a expensive flying angry bee into the air. Plotting a mapped flight and being able to see and verify it's course is much better on a display large enough to easily see and make changes.

Reactions: oconnb
I will be using this drone for roof inspections primarily but also recreation. After reading about the possibility of photogrammetry, leveraging other software apps (I had originally thought the DJI app was all there was) and just being able to do a lot of really amazing things and opening up who knows what doors.
These roof inspections, are you planning on making money with it? If so then you are looking at commercial grade video, if not then hobby grade should be fine. For commercial I would recommend the Phantom 4 Pro V2.0 as a minimum. Video choices include iPhone and Android phones and tablets as well as the DJI display option which is really bright and really clear. For hobby grade I would go with the Mavic Pro or the Mavic Pro Platinum (or hold off for the rumored Mavic Pro 2)
Good luck, there are a lot of choices out there.
Jack

I was going to get the DJi supplied tablet but I am wondering if I should not get that and use my old iphone 7plus instead and load something on it!
Here's a good overview of the P4P+ remote controller:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

While some 3rd party apps can now be installed on the + remote controllers, I don't know that it has been tested with all of the 3rd party apps you might want to install. And like @Meta pointed out above, the built-in display is not very large. If you get the remote controller without the display, you'll be able to connect your mobile device of choice (which would allow you to run Apple only apps too).

If you wanted something similar to the built-in display, you could get a CrystalSky display. The ultra brightness CrystalSky display is twice as bright as the built-in display on the + remote controllers. That would could in handy when flying outdoors (since you'll likely need a detailed view of the roofs in real-time).

Welcome to the addiction. Using a display that you can actually see would be the best bet. After all, you've just launched a expensive flying angry bee into the air. Plotting a mapped flight and being able to see and verify it's course is much better on a display large enough to easily see and make changes.
"Expensive, Flying, Angry Bee into the air" is the best yet XXX.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic