Reaction score
I know there has been discussion the last few couple days about Canada (Transport Canada) coming down with some new drone laws. Here is a story AirVūz did explaining why it will be tougher if you plan to fly there, especially if you are a hobbyist. Here's the full AirVūz News Story: AV News: Transport Canada Releases New Drone Laws

Can't wait to hear the responses to this one!

Why is this such a shocker? The drone guidelines previously posted by TC we're almost exactly the same except the addition of contact information and halving the distance from public/property from 150m to 75m. The problem with previous guidelines was ambiguity; This latest announcement makes the operational envelope (and penalties) crystal clear.

Keep in mind that the actual revised regulations will be coming down the pipe some time in the middle of the year which will likely bring in UAV classification (based on weight), mandatory registration and likely knowledge testing - all already implemented down in the states.

Why is this such a shocker? The drone guidelines previously posted by TC we're almost exactly the same except the addition of contact information and halving the distance from public/property from 150m to 75m. The problem with previous guidelines was ambiguity; This latest announcement makes the operational envelope (and penalties) crystal clear.

Keep in mind that the actual revised regulations will be coming down the pipe some time in the middle of the year which will likely bring in UAV classification (based on weight), mandatory registration and likely knowledge testing - all already implemented down in the states.

I hear your and totally get it. I think the "shock" factor was the timing. I appreciate the response and all of the information as well!

I'll add that in the 2 years I've been active in this hobby, analyzing incidents posted here and on other boards, I've come to the conclusion that there are some pretty idiotic operators out there (however few).

Likewise, while flying myself, I'll occasionally run into the curious public wanting to know more about the hobby. The legality topic is almost always in the forefront of the questions I get asked, and my answers in this regard usually induce the thousand mile stare.

Clarity in the regs is certainty welcome in my books.

Reactions: AyeYo
I'll add that in the 2 years I've been active in this hobby, analyzing incidents posted here and on other boards, I've come to the conclusion that there are some pretty idiotic operators out there (however few).

Likewise, while flying myself, I'll occasionally run into the curious public wanting to know more about the hobby. The legality topic is almost always in the forefront of the questions I get asked, and my answers in this regard usually induce the thousand mile stare.

Clarity in the regs is certainty welcome in my books.
100% agree! I am very glad on the clarity part as well. I think the uncertainty about flying as a hobbyist is very unclear in many "tourist" friendly countries, as well as in the US to some degree. So your point on how Canada now has clarity is totally accurate!

I don't like how they seemed to not have any input from the general drone community (that I am aware of).

I would like clarity in the form of a document (which must be out there somewhere) that defines "buildings" "vehicles" and "people" for example. May sound simple but if I take my wife with me out to a spot to fly while she watches, can I fly within 75m of my car, or her (does she qualify as being "involved" with the flight). Can I fly over my own house or garage? If there is an abandoned shed in the middle of Crown land, can I fly within 75m of that? What about an abandoned barn or mine site? Or an abandoned car in the middle of no where?

In the past I wouldn't have worried so much as long as I was flying safe but with a $3000 fine on the line I am not sure I want to take the chance.

And leaving it to the discretion of a LEO whether it is a building or a car or an involved person just looks like an opportunity for possible abuse of the law.

The recommendation of a citizen calling 911 for an illegal flight (which should have been worded as an alleged illegal flight) which doesn't present a clear danger is misuse of the 911 system.

I will wait to see how these cases develop in the courts, see how fines are applied etc. before I get too worried but the fact that the Minister has specifically said that the RCMP and other LEO officers have been empowered to crack down on this sounds political and smacks of fear mongering. The quick exclusion of MAAC fields and events sounds like pandering to me.

If anyone can point me to the definition document that these new laws are based on, I would appreciate it. I would like to fly legally.

One of the requirements is for your name, address and phone number to be affixed to the drone. What about US tourists who have an FAA registered drone with a certificate and registration number affixed to the drone as required in the States ? Do I need to add this additional information to fly temporarily as a tourist in Canada ? Also, the drone cannot go beyond 500 meters from the operator (.31 miles or 546 yards) ...... kinda removes DJI's extended range as a selling feature :rolleyes:

All I know is I'm done with this hobby. I have been flying my drones responsibly for about five years now, always thinking of other people and trying not to upset anyone. Often a small crowd of people would gather wherever I was and I would show everyone what the drone was seeing, I loved showing them the technology. I have a total of five drones,three racing and two camera platforms and the majority of them and all the parts have purchased been purchased in Canada, locally if possible. I have spent thousands on this hobby and I really feel bad for the people trying to make a living selling this stuff. Transport Canada is basing a lot of their information on "pilot sightings". I believe there have been the rare sighting but I think most of these sightings have probably been plastic bags and other stuff flying around in the sky. I know a lot of pilots, I am one myself,and none want drones. I flat out think some pilots are lying about so called close calls.
Any Canadian looking to get into this once amazing hobby should really think twice before doing it now. Sad day for us.

Reactions: The Ghost
I don't like how they seemed to not have any input from the general drone community (that I am aware of).

I would like clarity in the form of a document (which must be out there somewhere) that defines "buildings" "vehicles" and "people" for example. May sound simple but if I take my wife with me out to a spot to fly while she watches, can I fly within 75m of my car, or her (does she qualify as being "involved" with the flight). Can I fly over my own house or garage? If there is an abandoned shed in the middle of Crown land, can I fly within 75m of that? What about an abandoned barn or mine site? Or an abandoned car in the middle of no where?

In the past I wouldn't have worried so much as long as I was flying safe but with a $3000 fine on the line I am not sure I want to take the chance.

And leaving it to the discretion of a LEO whether it is a building or a car or an involved person just looks like an opportunity for possible abuse of the law.

The recommendation of a citizen calling 911 for an illegal flight (which should have been worded as an alleged illegal flight) which doesn't present a clear danger is misuse of the 911 system.

I will wait to see how these cases develop in the courts, see how fines are applied etc. before I get too worried but the fact that the Minister has specifically said that the RCMP and other LEO officers have been empowered to crack down on this sounds political and smacks of fear mongering. The quick exclusion of MAAC fields and events sounds like pandering to me.

If anyone can point me to the definition document that these new laws are based on, I would appreciate it. I would like to fly legally.
Totally understand this side as well. This is exactly why I posted this story. I am so in the middle on this and want to hear both sides. Definitely great arguments or points from both in this post! Well done.

Would some one in-the-know care to summarize the salient points of the new regs with half a dozen or so bullet points for the lazy among us? Or point to a link with such?

Thanks!

Would some one in-the-know care to summarize the salient points of the new regs with half a dozen or so bullet points for the lazy among us? Or point to a link with such?

Thanks!

It's literally the first link the article in the OP and given the restrictions on distances from people, cars, and buildings, more or less restricts flight to the boonies.

Flying your drone safely and legally - Transport Canada

Reactions: dwallersv
...I would like clarity in the form of a document (which must be out there somewhere) that defines "buildings" "vehicles" and "people" for example. May sound simple but if I take my wife with me out to a spot to fly while she watches, can I fly within 75m of my car, or her (does she qualify as being "involved" with the flight). Can I fly over my own house or garage? If there is an abandoned shed in the middle of Crown land, can I fly within 75m of that? What about an abandoned barn or mine site? Or an abandoned car in the middle of no where?

They can't possibly write a clause for every possible infraction so they took out big black marker, crossed out the "guideline" and made a blanket (interim) restriction until the final version of the regulations are finished.

The Interim Order Respecting the Use of Model Aircraft:

Interim Order Respecting the Use of Model Aircraft - Transport Canada
Few key notes:
  • TC now created a single class of RC aircraft used for recreation weighing less than 35kg as "Model Aircraft". In other words; this order applies to every radio controlled model of aircraft (>250g <35Kg) used by hobbyists such as helicopters, fixed wing replicas, and multi rotors (AKA Drones). This is the reasons why MAAC fields are exempt.
  • Somewhat counter intuitive but TC has classified a drone (or other remotely controlled aircraft) that is used for purpose of work, research or education as an UAV (Unmanned Air Vehicle). To operate these you must apply for a SFOC (Special Flight Operations Certificate) or be eligible for an exemption (Most typical multirotors are eligible). See the page here: Getting permission to fly your drone - Transport Canada
So, unless you fly your drone for business, you belong to the "Model Aircraft" class and if your quad/hex/octa weighs over 250g, this order now applies...

Onto your concerns:

5. (b) at a lateral distance of less than 250 feet (75m) from buildings, structures, vehicles, vessels, animals and the public including spectators, bystanders or any person not associated with the operation of the aircraft;

Therefore, if you smash your Phantom onto your neighbors cat and he reports you to the police, you can no longer say "But officer, I was flying in public airspace and a seagull dive bombed my phantom, I'm not at fault!". This may have worked in the past because they were "just guidelines", now you were clearly in violation of Canadian Aeronautical Regulations.

On the other hand if you smash your drone into an abandoned shed in the boonies somewhere no one gives a ****. The cops have better things to do than actively seek clumsy drone operators.

Last edited:
Reactions: David Cooke
One of the requirements is for your name, address and phone number to be affixed to the drone. What about US tourists who have an FAA registered drone with a certificate and registration number affixed to the drone as required in the States ? Do I need to add this additional information to fly temporarily as a tourist in Canada ? Also, the drone cannot go beyond 500 meters from the operator (.31 miles or 546 yards) ...... kinda removes DJI's extended range as a selling feature :rolleyes:

You must research and respect the airspace of any country you visit. So to answer your question yes, when you cross the border new rules apply.

VLOS rules here are the same as in the states, TC just defined a hard cap of 500m radius from the operator.

Is there enough detail to know if it is ok to fly over one's own private land to survey fields?
What about a land owner filming or giving permission to another to fly and film a private event like a wedding or bike rally on the owner's land?

Is there enough detail to know if it is ok to fly over one's own private land to survey fields?
What about a land owner filming or giving permission to another to fly and film a private event like a wedding or bike rally on the owner's land?
Using the drone for business such as event filming is covered under the UAV rules and the SFOC excemption, see the link I provided above.

Flying over your own property is fine - It's your property and you're fully aware of the risks involved. If your neighbor is a **** make sure you stay 75 lateral meters away from his fence or get his permission to fly closer.

The regulations are in place to educate the public on safety and possible consequences incase you choose to disregard causing an incident or, worst case, an accident.

Last edited:
IMG_0074.JPG

I found a place to fly my p3 that won't contravene Transport Canada regs. I'm soooo excited! (It's the liberal/progressive all-u-can-eat buffet!)

Reactions: AyeYo
Using the drone for business such as event filming is covered under the UAV rules and the SFOC excemption, see the link I provided above.

Flying over your own property is fine - It's your property and you're fully aware of the risks involved. If your neighbor is a **** make sure you stay 75 lateral meters away from his fence or get his permission to fly closer.

The regulations are in place to educate the public on safety and possible consequences incase you choose to disregard causing an incident or, worst case, an accident.

For non-commercial reasons can an owner fly above his land out in the country over a crowd attending a party he is hosting? Can someone with the owners permission fly?

Reactions: AirVūz
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic