New bird won't hunt :(

Reaction score
Had problems with my orginal GPS and my dealer took the P2V+ back and sent me an entirely new bird. Can't get this one to work :( At first I could not get it to calibrate the IMU. Basic was greyed out and advanced gave me the temp warning which I know to ignore but would not work. Let her sit for an hour and then got the advanced to calibrate the unit. Took it outside and did the compass dance but when done all I get are fast red flashing lights. This is what I see on my iPhone: I am also getting ZERO GPS sats, yet it seems to know where it is as the second screen show the correct position between my house and pool as I as bringing her back inside . At a loss what to do now?
15439338940_3938235a1b_b_d.jpg
15004171594_6e063515bd_b_d.jpg

You need the satellites, but the quad is most likely not calling them until the compass reading finishes without a error. You never mentioned calibrating the compass which is all you should have done to start with. No need to be concerned with calibrating the IMU unless you notice it's not flying correctly. The compass is your main concern. Any time you take it some place different to fly, the 1st thing you do is calibrate the compass so the quad knows it's location.

Calibrate your compass and it should power up. Btw, I better mention to reboot the quad after you calibrate the compass.

I said I did the compass dance, rotate 360 degrees, flip 90 degrees, and then rotate 360 degrees. I tried it several times but when done the craft just flashes red quickly. I tried turning off and turning back on (reboot) and still no joy. :(

kirbinster said:
I said I did the compass dance, rotate 360 degrees, flip 90 degrees, and then rotate 360 degrees. I tried it several times but when done the craft just flashes red quickly. I tried turning off and turning back on (reboot) and still no joy. :(

Make sure you are pointing it nose down in the second step and do it farther away from your house. Your compass may need degaussing or you can purchase a new one.

What are the compass values given to you in the assistant?

kirbinster said:

The red flashes are due to not receiving satellites after the calibration. Actually the calibration is done, and has nothing to do with the red flashing lights at that stage. Sit the quad down so that it's then able to search and read satellites, and then see what the flashing light display. However, this is all based on you are in Naza mode in your controller. If you are still in Phantom mode, then the red flashing lights means the calibration failed.

Calibrate / Power down / Power up / Enable app process / Wait for 6 lights / Go Hunt
(I prefer to calibrate compass using the manual method rather then using the app)

Its in Naza mode. The issue is that after I turn it off and turn it back on the app on my Phone still says the compass is out of wack. This is a brand new bird that just came out of the box :(

kirbinster said:
Its in Naza mode. The issue is that after I turn it off and turn it back on the app on my Phone still says the compass is out of wack. This is a brand new bird that just came out of the box :(

Have you connected your usb cable and gone into the DJI assistant and checked your compass values. This can tell you if the compass it bad or not. ;)

burlbark said:
kirbinster said:

Have you connected your usb cable and gone into the DJI assistant and checked your compass values. This can tell you if the compass it bad or not. ;)

Still have the error on my phone. Did a recal and the compass readings were -76, -21, 305, 1859.3. Did it again in the same spot and they came out as -18, -4, 291, 1733.8. But after rebooting everything I still get the same error on my phone display.

Have you tried calibrating somewhere else?
One thing that causes that error msg to appear is if you have a lot of iron or steel close to your phantom - like reinforcing in concrete or a manhole cover.

kirbinster said:
burlbark said:
kirbinster said:

Still have the error on my phone. Did a recal and the compass readings were -76, -21, 305, 1859.3. Did it again in the same spot and they came out as -18, -4, 291, 1733.8. But after rebooting everything I still get the same error on my phone display.

Its time for a new compass? They cost $20.

kirbinster said:

At this point it would be time to do the advanced IMU cal. When that is finished, you must power it down to save. It might tell you to power down, or it might do it for you? Regardless it needs powered down. Then cal the compass, and power down. At this point if there is no errors, you are good to go. If both of those were properly completed, then the compass and any other sensor should be ok. Otherwise the IMU process wouldn't finish if something were wrong.

A while back I unwittingly sat my Phantom down on a box containing a huge 35# Sony boom box. Needless to say, the Phantom's compass didn't appreciate the proximity to those speaker magnets. Though I have since run an Advanced IMU calibration, and the compass values have returned to normal ranges, the compass still isn't normal. Every few times I power on, I will get the flashing yellow lights and warning to calibrate the compass.

It used to be when I calibrated, I did the dance and at the end the status LEDs went back to normal. Now they always wind up doing the fast-flashing red (Calibration Failed) as the OP describes here. (NAZA mode, IOC enabled) At that point I power cycle the Phantom and all is fine. A few flights later (its erractic...sometimes 10...sometimes 2) it happens again, always ending in the fast-flashing red.

I do have a new compass module heading my way ($19.00).

Dirty Bird said:
I do have a new compass module heading my way ($19.00).

Is this the upgraded antistatic variant?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl