New battery question (don't want to upgrade firmware)

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm getting ready to buy a second battery for my Phantom 3 Standard and wanted to know how to prevent the battery from forcing an upgrade to the latest firmware (1.6.8).

I'm currently on firmware 1.5.7+ and have the latest DJI Go App on iOS. Everything works perfect, I get the range announced by DJI on it's website and don't want to upgrade to 1.6.8 for fear of all the "horror" stories I have read on this and other forums related to range of that firmware.

I'm assuming that, if the battery firmware detects that I'm one firmware down from the latest one and "wants" to upgrade, that I can force it not to and to stick to 1.5.7.

Does anyone have any experience with a scenario like this ?

Thanks!

Firmware updates are optional. You will never be forced to install them.

No. The About section in DJI GO only shows the firmware version for the Phantom and remote controller.

I downgraded with the first battery in , then started up the drone with my spare 2 . they took a couple of mins b4 they would allow me to fly so I presume they downgraded automatically and I have not had any issues with them or distance since downgrading

Sent from my KIW-L21 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Firmware updates are optional. You will never be forced to install them.

To a certain degree, yes. It's optional if you want to put the firmware file into the SD card but if it's on the SD card, the update to the Phantom and the battery is then automatic.

Also, to the OP... batteries will have the latest firmware on them from when they were shipped from China. They don't stick around long so there is a good chance it will have the latest firmware installed. However, I don't see battery firmware affecting the range of the controller and drone.

DJI appears to have done a pretty good job with battery warnings. They have greatly improved the temp warnings. I also recalled getting a warning this past weekend when I was at a sight distance and the battery was around 30%. Not the typical low battery warning... it was something to the effect that I might not be able to RTH at that distance.

To a certain degree, yes. It's optional if you want to put the firmware file into the SD card but if it's on the SD card, the update to the Phantom and the battery is then automatic.
True. But, DJI does not force you to put the firmware on your memory card. It's always a conscious decision.

I downgraded with the first battery in , then started up the drone with my spare 2 . they took a couple of mins b4 they would allow me to fly so I presume they downgraded automatically and I have not had any issues with them or distance since downgrading

Sent from my KIW-L21 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Thanks ! This was a helpful. Going to try to put the 1.5.7 bin file on the sdcard (even though I'm already on 1.5.7) and see what happens.

Also, to the OP... batteries will have the latest firmware on them from when they were shipped from China. They don't stick around long so there is a good chance it will have the latest firmware installed. However, I don't see battery firmware affecting the range of the controller and drone.

DJI appears to have done a pretty good job with battery warnings. They have greatly improved the temp warnings. I also recalled getting a warning this past weekend when I was at a sight distance and the battery was around 30%. Not the typical low battery warning... it was something to the effect that I might not be able to RTH at that distance.

Thanks for your comment.
So, assuming the battery comes with the latest firmware (1.6.8), if I place the .bin file on the sdcard for 1.5.7 will the battery downgrade ? Or should I not worry about which firmware it has ?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic