Need to get a dedicated device for p4p/dronedeploy - Is Android well supported?

Reaction score
Hello,
I've been using an old iPad Air and my old iphone SE to pilot for the last year or so. It's finally time I either get a dedicated tablet just for the phantom, or a much better phone for myself that I can also use for the Phantom.

I've been entrenched in Apple's ecosystem for 10+ years, but I'm now considering a Samsung Galaxy S9 (not +) to handle both tasks. Does anybody know if the Android platform doesn't have the same features as iOS? If Apple made a brighter screen, I would head that way, but they don't. Most of my dronedeploy flights are at high-noon, so it's almost impossible to see the screen.

Thanks for your help!

Hello,
I've been using an old iPad Air and my old iphone SE to pilot for the last year or so. It's finally time I either get a dedicated tablet just for the phantom, or a much better phone for myself that I can also use for the Phantom.

I've been entrenched in Apple's ecosystem for 10+ years, but I'm now considering a Samsung Galaxy S9 (not +) to handle both tasks. Does anybody know if the Android platform doesn't have the same features as iOS? If Apple made a brighter screen, I would head that way, but they don't. Most of my dronedeploy flights are at high-noon, so it's almost impossible to see the screen.

Thanks for your help!

Android can be hit or miss. I personally fly with a dedicated huawei m3 mediapad and have great results. Minimal bloatware on huawei devices and most come with 4 GB of ram.

Samsung makes a good product, but they really load them up with a LOT of bloatware that can not be removed without extensive hacking.

Thanks. The new iPad is only $329 so maybe that's the best bet right now. Just need to pick up a shade, maybe.

The S9 should have zero issues, it's a slightly beefier version of the S8 which I have used with my P3P with zero issues. I've also used my Tab S3 which Occasionally lags abit with the FPV but turning off the cache video locally solves that issue. But my S8 handles it just fine with zero lag even with cache video locally turned on.

Based on what I have seen here in this forum for the past several years, I agree that android devices can be hit or miss. Samsung devices seem especially prone to either working well or just not working at all. That's why some are quick to tell you that theirs works perfectly for them and then someone else using the same device tells you nothing they do makes it work.

Specific to this use case, anecdotal evidence shows that Apple devices are more consistently reliable. As always, your mileage may vary so use this only as a data point in your research.

Cheers!

Reactions: tonybarnhill
iPad mini 4 perfect size , zero problems...

I use my old Galaxy S6, works great! And it now has a nice home with the Drone(s) as I upgraded to a Google Pixel (which also works).

[QUOTE="tonybarnhill, post: 1399846, member: 11614"Does anybody know if the Android platform doesn't have the same features as iOS?[/QUOTE]
Android or Apple should make no difference, any differences are trivial and cosmetic.
The current best android tablets for flying are the Huawei M3 or M5.
They are at least as good as anything Apple have made and run DroneDeploy and DJI Go 4 perfectly with no configuration problems.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31