Need help. DJI won't cover flyaway crash. Ignores flight data.

The arrow of the drone while flying (pointing north west) is not the same of the angle of the video recorded. Does it mean anything?

When my drone is pointing North, my camera is pointing North also. The arrow of the drone while flying will be pointing North. Your video shows that your camera is not pointing at where the drone arrow is.
Yes, probably. Covered earlier in the thread.

according to the flight data, the quad sat for a minute before it started flying. From the video, the camera was pointing forward for 17 seconds, from 18 to 31, it rotated counter clockwise. From the flight path data, started from 1:17, the heading was pointing towards the bridge, at 1:27, it started turning, but the heading still pointing towards the bridge. Hence there is mis-match of flight data and video.

RTH was activated at 1:39, but the quad kept moving away from homepoint at attitude 4.6 -6.6 feet from ground until it was cancelled 6 seconds later. after the quad passed under the bridge at 1:46. User continued the path but the quad lost attitude & crashed

A few things spring to mind here:
1) The Phantom temperature range is 0 to 42˚, with snow on the ground the temp is likely to be below that - fly at your peril.
2) Flying over water is NOT a good idea at all, especially so close to it... so many things can happen.
3) Flying sideways or backwards that low indicates to me that the pilot doesn't have a clue what he's doing!

I don't think that this is anything to do with drone malfunction at all. Learn to fly in an open field and practice for hours, not a couple of flights in a terrible location. This has pilot error written all over it.
Fitst of all, i just wanna make it clear... The OP didn't mean to fly that way. Please watch the stick input carefully and compare it to the trajectory....

I'm sorry you probably aren't happy with the replies on here but by your video it clearly shows that you are in error. You begin your flight underneath a steel bridge where there won't be any satellite coverage, which also shows that you failed to calibrate your compass. You then slightly raised your bird then flew in reverse. But at takeoff you bumped the ground again causes the aircraft to fly uncontrollably while searching for satellite coverage. Then before crashing into the river (UNDERNEATH A BRIDGE), you fly the P4 only a couple feet above the water in reverse. DJI quadcopters are designed to be aerial aircraft which fly hundreds of feet MSL, not toys that fly 2 feet off a river underneath a bridge. And next time you buy a drone, practice flying manually so you can be in full control of your bird. ;)

In this case, there's nothing related to GPS. Please watch the satelites count and the distance reading. Everything just fine. GPS might lost under the bridge, but not that sudden and easy....

If it was GPS related, we don't even able to get this trajectory information.

Sent from my D5503 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
I've only had my P3 Standard for a month but I'm already studying for my Commercial UAS Pilot Test. It seems many "pilots" don't treat drones as aircraft. More as expensive toys. No pre-flight, during-flight, or post-flying checks, etc etc. I'm learning to fly manually so I can feel confident while performing aerial photography/ videography. I haven't crashed my P3 yet and hopefully never will. I treat it like an aircraft and if I do crash it, I'm responsible enough (through FAA flight studying) to recognize that it is nearly always pilot error.
...Clear Skies...

I also filed a complaint with BBB but DJI just denies it

Just as an FYI, the BBB is not an enforcement body. It's just another independent company. Nobody really cares about them anymore, plus, DJI is a Chinese company. You're better off writing a letter to, and complaining to, DJI directly.

Reactions: Mac Drone
I suspect here that a location destined for disaster was selected by the pilot. That ginormous bridge by the water is a terrible idea. Not sure why the OP is trying to blame DJI on this one.

Snow = bad idea
Cold temps = bad idea
Water = bad idea
Ginormous Bridge = bad idea

Compass and VPS were probably super confused.

Last edited:
Just goes to show compass calibration is vitally important prior to every flight. Also keeping updated with software.

Sent from my SM-G935F using PhantomPilots mobile app

NO NO NO NO NO

What this is is a prime example that the compass should NOT be calibrated prior to every flight because you're more like to introduce error (which the OP did, unfortunately) than you are to fix any non-existent issues.

People need to get these calibration fetishes out of their heads, because it can lead to loss of the craft, just like we see here.

Exactly the same procedure I carry out. Plus once a week I run through the settings at home and tweak them if need be. I treat the phantom like an aircraft. I read so many postings where it is obvious pilot error when it fly away and the we get a long diatribe about how terrible DJI are for not replacing the machine.

Sent from my SM-G935F using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl