Need help choosing tablet

Nvidia Shield K1.....just got a P4 and went with this tablet. Stellar choice.
I see this is only 200$ at best buy? Does the tablet operate all the phantom functions like tracking and follow me? I just want to make sure it's 100 percent compatible, because I don't want to end up with another tablet that doesn't work well.

Nvidia shield wifi only has a gps module for follow me and an hdmi out. All features will work with this tablet and it's a beast for $200 bucks.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I just bought a iPad mini 2 with cellular unlocked refurbished Grade A on eBay for 230.00 ,works awesome and looks brand new

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Anyone tried using iPad mini 4 wifi only with a Garmin GLO Bluetooth GPS?
That's one of the commonly used external GPS receivers. You can find some others here.

If you have a tab s2 already why don't you use that?;)
I use an 8" (2016) works great, brightest screen on the market today.
Putting it horizontal you don't even need a extenderclamp.

BEST TIP I can suggest is to buy a tablet from a major chain store like WalMart, Best Buy or similar. Reason being that if there is ANYTHING you don't like about it you can return it. When I went tablet shopping I did tons of research but once I got the tablet I found out there were some questions I did not even know to ask. Such as screen brightness/glare. You may be able to get a better buy on EBAY or Amazon stc. But it's definitely worth payin' a few bucks more and being able to return it if you are unsatisfied for any reason.

I use the 7" Nvidia Shield K1. Works like a champ, for me anyway. If I'm in a hurry I just strap on my Iphone.

Hi guys, I'm in the process of buying a phantom 4. My question is if need a tablet for it. I currently have a galaxy tab s2 tablet and a moto turbo 2 phone. I don't believe either of these are compatible? I'm thinking about getting a ipad mini 2 just for using with the drone? I hate to spend more money on another tablet. From what I understand ipad mini don't have gps unless I get one with cellular. I don't want to do that because I don't want another cellular service plan because I have one already with my phone. But if I just get the mini 2 with wifi then I won't be able to use some of the features on the phantom like tracking ect... I'm kinda stumped on what to do, what do you recommend?
...Green, Samsung - Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 (SM-T320) or Samsung - Galaxy Tab S 8.4 (SM-T700) , I like the scrn on the SM-T320 better and their relatively cheap these days, I have 2ea SM-T320 dedicated to DJI-Go the other is BackUp, chk EBay...
IIIDaemon
www.GasRecovery.net

I wasn't crazy about buying an Apple iPad Air 2 + Cellular, but my Androids were dismal for video lags and then the reboot matters in the Samsung S6/S7 series. Based on many on this board, I folded and find the iPad Air 2 + Cellular one of the best tablets for flying and working with programs like Autopilot that uses the barometer as well as the tablet GPS. If you want to play with the big boy auto-flying apps later, then you'll wish you had gone for more power, barometer, cellular, and GPS in the device.

However, Autopilot also mentioned that the iPad Pro may be better better suited to their program due to processing power needed for their autonomous flight system over the iPad Air 2 + Cellular. Oh well, guess I'll wait and see how it crashes. Don't know if Litchi needs as much processing. I think a newer and more powerful Pro is slated for around November too.

The follow me feature is what really appeals to me. How many of you don't use this feature? Can I still track a object without the follow me?
Yes, I think a better solution for follow me is to use Litchi or Autopilot apps to do a follow me scene. Just download a free app to your phone (Airspace for Autopilot, or Magic Leash for Litchi) and pair the phone to the RC running the Litchi or Autopilot app. That's much more convenient than following an RC because you can slip the phone into your kids pocket, or wife's purse, etc. They don't have to carry the RC to be tracked. FYI, Autopilot a little more capable overall, but Litchi is way more intuitive and easy to use. I have both, but use Litchi all the time.

Also, the P4 has active track. It works fairly good using pattern recognition. It can be fooled, but it's better than nothing.

By the way, I use iPad mini 2 all the time with my P3Ps, works just fine, however it will overheat in temps above 90F. Make sure to run it without a case to maximize cooling. I also use iPad Air 2, it works great all the time, the ultimate display IMO, barely fits into the display clip.

Last edited:
The follow me feature is what really appeals to me. How many of you don't use this feature? Can I still track a object without the follow me? Ìd like to purchase a ipad mini 2 with wifi/ cellular from someone and just not use the cellular. But they won't let ,everyone buy a tablet with cellular without buying the data plan.
If your really interested in using the follow me feature Autopilot (iOS) has a companion app named Airspace. Load airspace on an iPhone and you can set the AC to follow the phone. Compensates for changes in altitude also which is awesome. Litchi on android has a similar feature with a companion app named magic leash.

Having used both android and apple devices I find the iPad Air2 to be my preferred device. No issues whatsoever, it just works flawlessly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20