Need help choosing tablet

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm in the process of buying a phantom 4. My question is if need a tablet for it. I currently have a galaxy tab s2 tablet and a moto turbo 2 phone. I don't believe either of these are compatible? I'm thinking about getting a ipad mini 2 just for using with the drone? I hate to spend more money on another tablet. From what I understand ipad mini don't have gps unless I get one with cellular. I don't want to do that because I don't want another cellular service plan because I have one already with my phone. But if I just get the mini 2 with wifi then I won't be able to use some of the features on the phantom like tracking ect... I'm kinda stumped on what to do, what do you recommend?

Hi! Congrats on your new P4 - I got an iPad Pro 9.7 inch with cellular - just wanted to make sure I can use all the functionalities with no restrictions or having to tether my device to get internet connection. - I only have used my iPhone before this so in terms of functionality I have never had used one with only wifi.

I am sure will get lots of great input on this forum, try and do a quick search on it and there will be tons of great information for you to get started with.

Cheers!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I use an Ipad Air2 cellular, bought it for the bird but since my laptop died I use it all the time at home. I have always avoided anything apple, but must admit this is a good unit.

Reactions: TheLightSpeedz
I am sure will get lots of great input on this forum, try and do a quick search on it and there will be tons of great information for you to get started with.

Cheers!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

There is a massive thread about it here in the forum. If you do a search on it, you will see all of the replies from people.

I currently have a galaxy tab s2 tablet and a moto turbo 2 phone. I don't believe either of these are compatible?
The Galaxy Tab S2 is not on DJI's list, but it's on this list. Give it a shot before you buy something new.

I now have a P4 and an I1, after learning on a P1 and P2. A common misconception is that the tablet/phone needs a cellular connection to "help" the aircraft or RC acquire a GPS fix. I did an experiment which was posted on the Inspire Pilots forum that concluded the GPS position or co-ordinates of the I1 and RC is not helped at all by the tablet/phone's connection to the internet. You can cache the Google maps of an area before leaving home, if you know where you are going, but once there, having a tablet connected to the cellular network does nothing for you. In other words don't waste your money on a tablet with a cellular connection.
The link is RC's GPS Location - Does the RC Communicate with an iPad to get a GPS Fix?

When I moved up to a Phantom 4 from a Phantom 2 a few days ago, I set it up with my trusty old iPad Mini (original version). That's a no-go. It doesn't have enough processor power to render the 4k video and the video image is impossibly pixelated with unusable frame rate and dropouts. Works great on my iPad Pro (original version) and on my iPhone 6. I've been shopping iPad Mini 4s on the Apple store - looks like a refurb 16g wi-fi is $309.

Thanks for everyone's reply, I do understand that the tablet dosent have to have a cellular connection for the GPS to work. But as far as I understand apple iPad s that are just wifi and not wifi/ cellular don't have a GPS. I just want a cheap tablet that can run all the features without having to pay for another data plan.

as far as I understand apple iPad s that are just wifi and not wifi/ cellular don't have a GPS
That's correct. If you have a Wi-Fi only Apple device, the only features you won't be able to use are Follow Me and the ability to reset the home point to your current location after takeoff. If you don't plan on using those features, then you won't be missing out on anything by using a mobile device that does not have GPS.

That's correct. If you have a Wi-Fi only Apple device, the only features you won't be able to use are Follow Me and the ability to reset the home point to your current location after takeoff. If you don't plan on using those features, then you won't be missing out on anything by using a mobile device that does not have GPS.
The follow me feature is what really appeals to me. How many of you don't use this feature? Can I still track a object without the follow me? Ìd like to purchase a ipad mini 2 with wifi/ cellular from someone and just not use the cellular. But they won't let ,everyone buy a tablet with cellular without buying the data plan.

But they won't let ,everyone buy a tablet with cellular without buying the data plan.
You should be able to buy it without a data plan, but plan to pay extra for it.

I bought two iPad Minis in the past year from Best Buy. Both are cellular models and I did not purchase a data plan.

You can buy one on their website and pick it up in the store.

Yes.

An iPad Mini 4 would be a better choice. But, yes, an iPad Mini 2 will work.

An iPad Mini 4 would be a better choice. But, yes, an iPad Mini 2 will work.[/QUOTE
Yeah at this point I'd rather not put to much money into the tablet because the only thing I will use it for is the phantom. I'm a Android user, but it seems the app does better on the apple platform from what I've read.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik