Need good case for new P4 pro+

Reaction score
I just got a P4 Pro + for the University I work at. I need to get a good case that I can also take onboard an airline and store it in the overhead bins.

Is this one any good? https://www.amazon.com/Case-Club-Wa...1511807560&sr=1-3&keywords=phantom+4+pro+case

Also... I have a few questions.
1) I personally have a P2 from 3 years ago. I have to do a compass calibration and I see I also have to do the same thing with this P4 Pro. But what about calibrating the remote controls and the phantom itself ( hook it up to the PC)? I had to do this with the P2, but I don't see anything for the P4 Pro.

2) Do I still have to stay away from water, steel buildings, major powerlines with a P4?
The reason I ask is because I want to fly under through this steel frame and then up over the waterfall.
upload_2017-11-27_12-39-7.png

3) When I set up the settings on the remote and screen. Is that the default, so whenever i turn it on again, it is the same set up?

Anything else I should know?

Is this one any good?
The reviews here on Amazon are very favorable.

I have to do a compass calibration and I see I also have to do the same thing with this P4 Pro.
You don't need to calibrate the compass often. Check out the Compass Calibration Guide for more information on when the compass should and should not be calibrated.

what about calibrating the remote controls and the phantom itself ( hook it up to the PC)?
The remote controller should be calibrated in DJI GO like this.

I want to fly under through this steel frame and then up over the waterfall.
That should be fine if your skills are good enough to pilot through that small area. Just don't take off from the sidewalk or any other areas that contain magnetic metal objects.

When I set up the settings on the remote and screen. Is that the default, so whenever i turn it on again, it is the same set up?
Yes, your settings will be remembered as long as you set them while your Phantom is connected to DJI GO. Also, make sure you reset them after installing new firmware (since that wipes out many settings).

I just got a P4 Pro + for the University I work at. I need to get a good case that I can also take onboard an airline and store it in the overhead bins.

Is this one any good? https://www.amazon.com/Case-Club-Wa...1511807560&sr=1-3&keywords=phantom+4+pro+case

Also... I have a few questions.
1) I personally have a P2 from 3 years ago. I have to do a compass calibration and I see I also have to do the same thing with this P4 Pro. But what about calibrating the remote controls and the phantom itself ( hook it up to the PC)? I had to do this with the P2, but I don't see anything for the P4 Pro.

2) Do I still have to stay away from water, steel buildings, major powerlines with a P4?
The reason I ask is because I want to fly under through this steel frame and then up over the waterfall.View attachment 91398

3) When I set up the settings on the remote and screen. Is that the default, so whenever i turn it on again, it is the same set up?

Anything else I should know?
Doesn't the P4P+ come with a case?

It comes with a foam carrying case -- which isn't good for traveling or holding lots of accessories.

Phantom-4-Free-Case.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: gt40pilot
DroneCrates is the only case I buy for my equipment, I have yet to see anything else come close to their quality and the usability of their foam cutouts: DJI Phantom Cases by Drone Crates also I have traveled all over the world with my P4 in one of their cases...not a single problem.

I cant help with cases but keep in mind you can't check lithium batteries. They have to be in your carry on luggage.

After going through a lot of cheaper cases, I still feel the Think Tank Airport Helipak is the best out there. It carries an amazing amount of stuff, and fits in all but the smallest overhead bins. Not cheap, but worth it IMO. I see they now have a 2.0 version.

Reactions: DaRana
Last edited:
I have version 1.0 of this backpack too. It's made well and definitely holds everything (and then some!).

OK... I think I found something that will work. Airlines "standard carry-on" size is 14" x 9" x 22".

This is the best one I could find - just barely fits!

https://www.amazon.com/CasePro-CP-P...id=1511811796&sr=1-1&keywords=CP-PHAN4-PRO-CO

Hard cases aren't advised for air travel. They are too heavy to lug around, and a backpack is way more convenient for toting around the drone when you get to your destination. You definitely don't want to check your drone as baggage, as you'll be required to pull your batteries out of the case and carry those onboard anyway, not allowed in checked bags.

I have the Think Tank Helipak V1 also, a great backpack. Use Msinger's link if possible, the last of the V1 from what I have seen, a good buy at $169. The V2, which is all THINK TANK ships today, is a pound lighter. It's practically identical, except V2 doesn't have the 2nd handle on the side, it provides only a top handle, which is fine. The Helipak is very durable with big scuba style rugged zippers, and good shoulder straps and waist belt for longer distant hiking. $200 is not cheap, but the backpack isn't either, it's very good quality. You'll have A LOT MORE ROOM in the helipak than a hard case, which uses most of the room inside occupied with a foam insert.

If you plan on other people handling your drone when it's store in the case, then a hard case may be more appropriate. But if the drone will be with you all the time, then the Helipak is the E-Ticket to tote the craft around, as well as lots of other stuff. It can hold the craft with 6 batteries, the RC, the charger, charging cradle, RC harness, MarcoPolo tracker, and good sized camera, like my SX50 Canon with 50X zoom lense. It will also hold an iPad and laptop in the lid, but the laptop really makes it heavy, but doable. Lots of room, very nice.

You can easily overload the Helipak because of all the room, but I will often unload most of the stuff when I reach my destination hotel room, such as the camera, charger, charging cradle, and the tracker if I'm doing any hiking. I'll leave those in the room, and put the SX50 camera in the rental car for fast access while driving.

What's not shown in this photo below, is you can store a battery under each of the 4 motor arms if you need more room. I don't recommend stacking the batteries sideways as shown in this photo, it's better to store them upright in the pack.

upload_2017-11-29_14-13-27.png

Last edited:
Here's a video showing V2 of the Helipak:

Reactions: John Locke
That's a good V2 review Mike, thanks for sharing that video. I don't have the V2 yet, but I'll will be buying one soon. Here's my take on what I've seen at shows, and in this video on the V2, versus V1, FWIW.
1. The lid of the V2 has a velcro flap, which looks easier and quicker to get into than V1 which requires unzipping a zipper. The laptop case added to the V2 is nice, but I'm not sure I'd use it since I only carry an iPad Air2. I'd likely fine a more appropriate sized iPad pack to make it easier to put in the lid flap opening. That laptop bag appeared to be a tight fit, but I may be wrong.
2. The strap on the bottom of the V2 is a nice, V1 has that too, but they removed the handle on the side of the v2, which the V1 includes. I think that was to save weight, as the V2 is 1lb lighter than V1.
3. The interior of the V2 is flipped upside down, which is good. The V2 has the adjustable battery compartments correctly located in the bottom of the pack when it's on your back. The V1 had them on the top, which made the pack more top-heavy. This is noticeable when you carry the backpack over one shoulder, which I do all the time. Being top heavy makes the pack want to slip off the one shoulder. Although this isn't a huge problem, the V2 is definitely better balanced in that regard.

Not mentioned in the video is the fact you can store a flight battery under each motor arm. I wish they would have designed the V2 with 4 actual battery compartments with flip lids, one under each motor arm, but they missed that opportunity to optimize interior ergonomics. However, you can still store them there in a pinch, if you need more room for other stuff in the cubbies.

Last edited:
Here's a video showing V2 of the Helipak:

Thank you "msinger" - been thinking of getting a back pack and this looks more than perfect.

Putting the batteries under the arms of my P4 leaves room to locate my Spark and batteries for same (thanks for noting that John Locke).

Since this is considered for air travel - a good addition for the makers of this would be to include Li-Po safe bags for carry- on --- just a thought.

You're a continued "wealth of knowledge" when it comes to everything Phantom related "msinger" - thank you for that!

Does clicking on a product from your site acknowledge you, as pertaining to sales?

Yes. I do earn a small commission (at no additional cost to you) if you buy through the links at PhantomHelp.com.

That is good to know & in future I will be doing that for everything Phantom related - unfortunately it looks like the makers and sellers (even amazon) of the V2 back pack - don't ship to Canada!

Looks like only USA sales.

B&H ships the V2 internationally here.

B&H ships the V2 internationally here.

Perfecto - thank you big time "msinger" - not only do they ship to Canada it is $50.00 cheaper with free shipping (that even takes care of the currency exchange)!

You da man - thank you kindly!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl