Nearly a disaster. Lesson learned!

Reaction score
i went to fly my P4A at work the other day. I mounted the props and pulled upwards on them gently to check they were attached, however when I started the motors one of the props shot into the air to quite a height, then made a graceful landing. I guess I had not engaged the bayonet fully so a pull upwards would seem to indicate it was locked however when the motor spun up it backed it out of the bayonet and off it went.

Good thing it happened on the ground and I’ll definitely be more careful to check they’re locked

Mishaps are always better survived while on the ground. Glad you still have your Phantom intact!

I did that once with an Inspire. It took off and went about 12 feet up then threw the prop and came down. (Quickly!!)
Luckily no damage.
On my P4P, I try to rotate the motor hub while holding the prop to make sure it is engaged. This will also tel you if there is any slop in the fitting.

Yeah, sounds like both the battery latch and the props are a dangerous step backwards. I'm happy with my 3

Agreed. I was just thinking the same thing myself. With the P4 series, I fear that DJI put more emphasis on form over function, much to the detrement of Phantom owners. As with the new battery sensor on the V2, I wouldn't be at all surprised if a prop redesign is forthcoming. Oh, wait, it's already here (Obsidian props).

I like the P3 prop design. Once its on, its on, no flaps, levers or tabs to worry about.
I'm probably jinxing myself, but my reliable little 3A has never lost a prop or done anything it was not told to do by me. It HAS come home with green stains on the prop leading edges after the boss told it to fly by and scare a tree. Battery stays put while powering the thing, important with anything short of a helium balloon. Has never refused to talk to the RC and me. but I treat it like a lawn mower. If it aint broken, don't fix it. If I want actual real pictures I will send in a real camera.

I'm probably jinxing myself, but my reliable little 3A has never lost a prop or done anything it was not told to do by me. It HAS come home with green stains on the prop leading edges after the boss told it to fly by and scare a tree. Battery stays put while powering the thing, important with anything short of a helium balloon. Has never refused to talk to the RC and me. but I treat it like a lawn mower. If it aint broken, don't fix it. If I want actual real pictures I will send in a real camera.

I have had two incidents where a prop has spun off, luckily both without incident. Once was alone and the other was in front of several people. Not my finest moment. I give them a little tug as well as a twist, just to make sure they are locked. I also start the motors and spin them up before takeoff, just to make sure.

As part of my standard preflight, I check to make sure the little white locking tabs on both the prop and the hub aren’t worn, as well. I have replacement hubs if I need to change one and multiple props. I will swap all four props at the smallest imperfection. (Dont like mixing used and new props- no scientific reason, just over abundant caution) Best $20 insurance there is.

Spin one off in front of a few curious onlookers and you’ll never lose one again. Guaranteed.

i went to fly my P4A at work the other day. I mounted the props and pulled upwards on them gently to check they were attached, however when I started the motors one of the props shot into the air to quite a height, then made a graceful landing. I guess I had not engaged the bayonet fully so a pull upwards would seem to indicate it was locked however when the motor spun up it backed it out of the bayonet and off it went.

Good thing it happened on the ground and I’ll definitely be more careful to check they’re locked

Yep. DJI idiot-proofed propeller installation.

I made this video to put to rest, once and for all, that a prop could "eject itself" after 6 minutes of flight. Some people's kids...sheesh....

That is why DJI has the double rev when you start the motors, to test the props.
It's not to impress the girls? Like revving up a '69 Camaro?....

Last edited:
Reactions: Samuraiz and MTO
Here's confidence for you.

..........Speechless as to why DJI thought this was ok..... Is there a Chinese engineer sitting in a Gulag over there over this?.......

It sure does! The women at Sunny Acres Retirement Home think it's hot! And, for the record, it's Camaro.
Thanks... Coffee makes my typing fingers go whacky at times.... So does beer.... (Fixed it before the beer kicks in)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20