Near IR Conversion?

Some early tests.

It works, But not well.
Using an R72 IR filter by HOYA

I got a 4 stop under exposed image ISO100 1/30sec. (not shown below)
Exp comp had little to no effect on the image. I tried +2, +1, 0 and -1

At Auto ISO -0 exposure compensation- the camera opted for ISO1600 1/30th sec at that level it is noisy but it made an image. (Shown below)
The image comes out as expect, very magenta and ready to white balance.
After some work this is the best IR image I could make with filtration on the FC200 camera.

I had to make the image while holding the filter over the lens as the filter kit is still in the mail. When it arrives I will try to make a better image from the air, though I don't expect much.

I will say that this is probably not good enough for anything more than a novelty.
If I were you I would find a very small IR camera and velcro it onto the bottom of the P2V camera. Then just record video with that while you are in the sky and review the video later.

If you have a ton of money, buy a large Octocopter and put a canon 5Dii converted to IR on it with a 3axis gimbal and a video downlink.
Yes this will cost you like $10-15K USK but it will get the job done well.

These trees have green leaves that look white in this photo. This is what near field IR should look like.

FC200 with HOYA 720nm IR filter-----

DJI00004 by resevordg, on Flickr

-----------
Here is what a 720NM Canon 40D conversion looks like from the same location.

IMG_7795-Edit by resevordg, on Flickr

-----------
And here is an iPhone 5

photo by resevordg, on Flickr

Interesting. I am purely looking for a contrast between water and vegetation, however if the quality from the air isn't improved much I might be better off just using a color photo. Appreciate the help - when your filter kit comes in post an update - very interested to see an aerial shot

ResevorDG, do you happen to have any IR emitters you can test it with? That's what I'd be most interested in, seeing the distances at which that might be effective. I'm thinking like the array you'll find on security cameras and such (not the emitter on a TV remote)

I don't have any IR emitters but my home security video cameras have some built in for night time shots. Those are only good to about 40 or 50 feet. I would imagine that you will be wanting to be a few hundred feet high to see more of the ground at one time. Beyond that, IR emitters only work at night. With the high ISO this needs to make an IR shot in the daylight, I think it's fair to say that any night time shots would be impossible with this camera unless your lights are extremely powerful. I don't think there is away to get that much lighting power onto the Phantom.

ResevorDG said:
I don't have any IR emitters but my home security video cameras have some built in for night time shots. Those are only good to about 40 or 50 feet. I would imagine that you will be wanting to be a few hundred feet high to see more of the ground at one time. Beyond that, IR emitters only work at night. With the high ISO this needs to make an IR shot in the daylight, I think it's fair to say that any night time shots would be impossible with this camera unless your lights are extremely powerful. I don't think there is away to get that much lighting power onto the Phantom.

Understood and I feared as much, and yeah I was just thinking for nighttime use. I didn't know if there were any emitters beyond the capability (i.e. range) of what I've come across so far. Oh well, on to the next crazy idea! :D

I do know there are some cheap IR cameras out there. I also know that you can carry more payload with the phantom. Running two cameras at one time should be simple. I would guess you will lose about 2 minutes of flight time with the extra payload but that's a small price.
And on the + side, you can make a bracket that points your IR cam directly down.

If you own a GoPro these guys will convert it to dedicated IR for $200.
Conversions are better than filtration because the camera is then calibrated after the work is done.
There are some sample images of what a converted GoPro can do on this page as well.

http://www.kolarivision.com/hdheroconversion.html

If you have not bought your Phantom yet, consider getting a Phantom 2 with the DJI 2 axis gimbal and a video down link system. Then get a hero 3, you can get the silver for under 300 on ebay. Then have that converted to IR by Kolari Vision.

All in you're at about $2,000 if you are careful with your shopping.
Then you can swap that IR GoPro with a regular go pro any time you want for regular video shots.

ResevorDG said:
Interesting, Here is the same guy selling the $199 service for about $100.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Infrared-IR-and ... 43a99c04f0

Cool, thank you, that's the direction I had been thinking of heading originally...picking up a cheap used extra gopro or something similar and having it converted to use as a dedicated IR camera. I have a Phantom and a 550 as well so I do have some headroom to work with, I just want to find out if it would give any benefit for night use.

Downloaded your book yesterday, btw ;)

OI Photography said:
ResevorDG said:
Interesting, Here is the same guy selling the $199 service for about $100.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Infrared-IR-and ... 43a99c04f0

Cool, thank you, that's the direction I had been thinking of heading originally...picking up a cheap used extra gopro or something similar and having it converted to use as a dedicated IR camera. I have a Phantom and a 550 as well so I do have some headroom to work with, I just want to find out if it would give any benefit for night use.

Downloaded your book yesterday, btw ;)

Awesome! I hope you enjoy it.
When you get your IR rig up and running be sure to post a sample or two, I would love to see how they come out.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl