Naza on Phantom 1?

Reaction score
I haven’t revived my XP laptop enough to install/view Phantom software but eventually will.

In the meantime, is there any safe, quick method to determine if my used bird is using Naza mode?

I’ve read this helpful blog - http://www.pattayadays.com/2014/03/naza-mode-on-the-phantom-2-vision/ - but it’s titled Phantom 2.

My controller does have S1/S2 switches? I’ve only used it in S1 GPS and S2 OFF mode. Should I try the RTH mode on S1 to see if it works as described?

Does all this not apply to my P1?

Thanks…

I may be wrong but my understanding is that the P1 doesn't have Phantom and Naza modes like the P2, instead you have the option to enable IOC (home lock and course lock) in the assistant software which is basically the same thing as Naza mode on a P2.

If you haven't connected to the assistant software yet then the RTH (failsafe) feature won't be activated on your S1 switch until you set it up that way. RTH can be activated anytime by shutting off the TX.

If you want to test to see if IOC is enabled do this: Fly out about 100 feet or so, hover and yaw a little so the nose it pointed a different direction. Set S2 to the bottom position (HL) and pull straight back on the right stick. If it comes straight back to you then IOC is working, If it flys away from you or at an angle then IOC is not enabled.

Reactions: Ti22
I haven’t revived my XP laptop enough..... I have no idea what this means.
If your bird is new to you and never connected to a computer..S2 switch does nothing. S1 switch is only used for compass calibration and maybe atti. .
Once connected to a computer, you can select IOC. Now on the left ..S2 switch
top position is off...mid position is course lock...bottom position is home lock.
S1 on right...top is GPS.....middle is atti mode...bottom can be atti, failsafe, or manual mode depending what you have selected.in the software.
If the quad is not new to you and someone had it connected to a computer ..S1 bottom position may have selected manual. If you select that when flying thinking it's RTH but it's really manual..you will be in big trouble.

Reactions: Ti22
@Woody - thank you very much. Bought used so ‘not sure what’s been enabled via assistant software? I’ll get an XP machine loaded up soon and poke around in the assistant.

However, if I were to do the S2 HL test you describe - do you keep holding the RH stick back for the duration of RTH? And if it does fly away or off angle, does releasing the stick stop it or can I switch IOC OFF and regain control?

Further reading - Marcopolo trackers appear to be something that might possibly save the day?

@Monte55, what I meant is that I don't have a working Windows OS at the moment. I just assumed Assistant software won't work on Mac?

@Woody - OMG, duh. What a little scrolling to the bottom of the download page can reveal, eh?
Thank you kind sir!

You're welcome Ti22. Monte make a good point about the manual setting on the S1 switch. If it's set for manual in the bottom position I would recommend changing it to failsafe or atti. Manual mode is not something you want to experiment with as a beginner.

If you are new to Phantom flying keep the quad headed away from you and close until you can control it properly. Don't go too high or far. I have 2 Phantom 1s. On both I have my bottom position S1 switch on manual. The reason is...in gps mode, the takeoff is too slow and can lead to a tipover. When I take off, I flip S1 down to manual and the quad shoots up quickly and once up to about 10 feet I go back to gps immediately. I will also say both of my transmitters have the self centering left stick. I would like to have the lower position set to failsafe but I can't have it both ways. If I need to initiate RTH, I can always turn transmitter off if need be. If you are new to this and have IOC selected, I would suggest not using it until you have a good understanding how it works. Course lock can really mess you up if YOU are not up to speed.

@Monte55 - Yes, I’ve noticed tendency of lift-off tip-over in GPS mode. Seemingly even more precarious when using one older battery pack with a saggy cell when slightly below full charge.

In fact, I’ve flown it a couple times in the middle Atti position and then return to GPS mode once lift off away from some nearby building obstructions limiting GPS lock & “warmup”.

Yes, going low and slow for now. Just now starting to play around with yaw control and forward flying. Interesting how Fore-to-Aft & Side-to-Side plus altitude is all you really need with these birds.

Thanks again, sorry if this has all been asked & answered but things like the Mac software haven’t turned up in my reading so far. I do appreciate all the good information. Thanks again!

Gps is your safest flying. Atti is cool. It is actually smoother because it is not constantly making corrections. This makes for better video. If you are headed one direction in atti and release sticks, it will keep gliding rather than trying to stop in gps and hold position. Home lock is cool also and course lock can be very useful if you understand it. Many don't. .

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic