Naza Lite vs. Wookong vs. Naza M V 2 vs. A2

Reaction score
I'm curious...what differentiates them? I believe the Naza Lite came in my Phantom I and II. Now, just for fun, I checked online and found some current prices.The Naza M Lite with GPS can be had for $169. The Wookong is $999 (including GPS). The Naza M Version II is $299 (with GPS and compass). Finally, the A2 is $1,300.00. Obviously lots of capabilities in some, not so much in others. I'm not out to buy any of these today since my quad bank account is depleted at present, but wanted some feedback from others that have used any of these. Why one over another?

The P1 and P2 both have the NAZA v2 hardware, in different wrappings and with different firmware.

Main differences between the levels of controllers are their stability as well as some bells and whistles. Wookong (which I have) and A2 have a much larger and more sensitive IMU package which provides things like more precise position hold and smoother flight, as well as things like the POI function (circle around an object while pointed at it) and a few more minor goodies. GPS is also more precise on the higher-end options. A2 goes even further with a built-in receiver compatible with Futaba radios, and extra channels and features geared towards users of the Z15 gimbals.

Unfortunately the Wookong and A2 won't really fit in to a Phantom, at least not without extensive modification.

Yep, not a lite in either p1 or p2. Your phantom 1 has a full naza-m v2 that you can transfer to any other MR; your p2 has a locked version of the v2 that only works with the p2.

The pro controllers are heavier and more precise. The A2, in addition to what OI mentioned, has two separate canbus buses to isolate critical p components from ancillary ones. Also,the pro stuff is heavier. I think the A2 GPS module is bigger and heavier than all the Naza components combined! If you can fit it all in a Phantom, you're working some magic.

Thanks very much for pointing these differences out. In the case of the A2, would it be (in your opinion) the most precise controller out there with respect to position hold? My reason for asking is this-an application I have is to do inspections of radio towers. I need to be able to fly close (sometimes very close) to the structure. Obviously the quad crashing into a tower face or guy wire would be a bad thing indeed. I wonder if something like the A2 is capable of extremely tight control. Say I set it for a specific distance (10 feet, for example)-would the A2 potentially do a better job of position control/hold than the other Naza/DJI controllers?

Yes, if you can afford it I would use the A2 in your application (and it is manufactured by DJI as well), or at least the Wookong.

Other factors that will contribute to stability are number of motors and total aircraft diameter.

Thanks much for the advice. Now I'm looking at spending a bunch of money (dear God don't let my wife read this post!). Any suggestions as to a frame? Perhaps the DJI Flamewheel? I presume an ordinary quad wouldn't cut it-it would have to be something heavier duty, like a hex or octo.

Do you have an idea of what type of camera(s) you'll need to use for this...is a gopro adequate or will you need special gear (thermal, IR, etc)?

I would suggest at least a hexrotor and there's a bunch of options to consider even there. You might want to use a Y6 or even an X8 platform to maximize stability in various wind conditions.

1. Figure out the weight of the gear you need to lift
2. Define your budget

Once you do those it'll help you narrow down your options.

GoPro is fine for my application. And I got to thinking-I've got a Phantom 1 I no longer use. What's to prevent me from using its Naza, GPS and receiver (for which I already have a radio) in a new build? Say a hex? Then all I need is the kit with frame, motors, props and ESCs. Make any sense?

I have a Phantom 2 and a Phantom 2 Vision Plus, are both of them using the same flight controller?

Thanks

radioguy said:
GoPro is fine for my application. And I got to thinking-I've got a Phantom 1 I no longer use. What's to prevent me from using its Naza, GPS and receiver (for which I already have a radio) in a new build? Say a hex? Then all I need is the kit with frame, motors, props and ESCs. Make any sense?

Yep, many people have done that. The NAZA and Rx will migrate just fine to another platform, though you'll have to find a way to mount the compass, or get a stock NAZA v2 GPS puck (with internal compass). There's lots of hex kits out there which just need a NAZA and radio added to be ready to fly, usually referred to as "ATF" (almost ready to fly) kits.

Brammo said:
I have a Phantom 2 and a Phantom 2 Vision Plus, are both of them using the same flight controller?

Thanks

Yes, but the NAZA in the P2/P2V/P2V+ have special firmware on them that locks it to DJI's smart batteries, so they won't migrate easily to another platform.

OI Photography said:
Yes, but the NAZA in the P2/P2V/P2V+ have special firmware on them that locks it to DJI's smart batteries, so they won't migrate easily to another platform.

Thank you.. I'll have to have a look and see if I can find some instructions on how to do it. I don't need to at the minute, but you never know!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20