Vision Plus versus Phantom/gimble/GoPro configurations

Reaction score
I realize this is not probably a new query, but I haven't yet seen a very helpful comparison of the out of the box/ready to fly Phantom 2 Vision Plus versus those Phantoms that are configured with other gimbals and GoPro cameras. I own a Vision + and have been flying it since September. I fly using the DJI app on my cell phone and can see the image that the camera "sees" as the Phantom flies, and get telemetric data displayed showing GPS coordinates, speed, altitude, distance, battery life, number of GPS satellites, etc. I can instruct the camera to snap stills and record video. The gimbal can also be rotated on its vertical axis by the instruction from app. The Phantom 2 Vision plus also has several Naza M flight modes and a "failsafe" return to home function that could be useful on occasion.

I am learning this on my own as I no no one else locally who is flying these so forgive this query if it seems a bit naive and newbyish, but I am curious about the other configurations utilizing GoPro cameras. Are all the same capabilities available including:

Ability to "see" what the camera sees as it flies?
All the telemetric data that I refer to?
All the flight modes?
A return to home capability if signal is lost?
The ability to instruct the camera when to take the still, when to start and stop the video recording, the ability to adjust camera settings while the craft is aloft?

I read in these forums and others that the GoPro image quality is better, and every time I fly, I wonder if a broken gimbal/camera assembly will occur as I read how fragile is the Vision Plus camera and gimble. Is it true that the other gimbals are sturdier and the image quality of the GoPros is that much better?

I am becoming a more skilled flier and aerial photographer (okay that is a stretch), but am not particularly technically inclined. If anyone wants to give me some insights into this comparison, I would be most appreciative.

1. You can't get all the capabilities of the Vision Plus with the GoPro. Specifically, you don't get camera control.
2. You can get most everything else, but you have to add several pieces of hardware:
- the gimbal
- the FPV transmitter/receiver modules (to see the camera video as you fly)
- a screen for the receiver
- the OSD module (to get telemetry data on the FPV)
- the GoPro itself
3. All flight-related stuff (including RTH) is the same across all Phantoms.
4. The Vision Plus gimbal is more fragile than an H3-3D gimbal. However, both can suffer damage in a crash. I think various 3rd-party gimbals are tougher. But then there's a weight vs. flight time tradeoff as well.
5. The GoPro image quality is better. The value of that compared to the value of the copter choices is a matter of opinion.

The poor Gopro flyers can't take a photo of what the want, when they want to.
Their work around is the set the camera to automatically snap of a pic every couple of seconds during the flight and hope they get what they were wanting. Not a very satisfactory arrangement for a photographer. They can't turn their video on/off in flight and can't swap from video to stills either.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl