My Drone was shot out of the Sky!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with you. He didn't climb off his roof in one minute eight seconds and get a gun and shoot. He may indeed have done it for sport. More likely he saw you preparing to launch it and then acted (Premeditated.).

I'm sort of curious as to why they cannot enforce firing a gun within the city limits if you reside within one, not that they seem to do anything around here if they do. And the civil excuse is common too, unless it happens to them.

Might not hurt to talk to your local D.A. and see what they say. Maybe file in small claims court too and see what becomes of it.

Add, wonder if all these drone shots would be worth reporting to the FAA? They have a report for damages caused by a drone over $500, but what about to the drone itself caused by a third party?
I was making a video for my hometown's homecoming and had to return to that spot later in the day to shoot the water tower again as I accidentally deleted that file, so he may have saw me there earlier in the day. When I returned, he may have recognized my car. Thanks for your comment. Here's a link to the YouTube video I made that day. I expect if would have been a lot better had he not destroyed my drone before it was done.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

And if it was registered per Part 107, it should be reportable just like any other aircraft incident. I'd file a report. Unfortunately, Part 107 specifies $500 damage 'other than to the small UAS'.
Thanks, I plan to report this with the FAA.

First , why would this guy be so upset about a Drone , has he had run ins before with them or you ?
Second , he can probably fire the firearm in this Rural setting , but to fire it in the air is reckless endangerment with a firearm , just about every where . He should have been arrested , because it was a Firearm offense & the LEO knew it . He is probably friends or is acquainted with the LEO (s)
If you heard the report of the shot , it wasn't a Pellet gun !
I don't know the guy, but I've heard from people that he has been in trouble with the law before. I'd never seen him before he shot my drone.

From the Satellite photo you show , there is quite a bit of distance between you & where he was supposed to be when he shot . You can hear a Pellet gun when its shot next to you , but even 50 yards away you won't hear much if anything , sure there are some that have a muzzle velocity above the sound barrier & thats what can be heard , but they quickly go below it after a short distance & is hard to hear down range .

I am will trained in firearms & you would have to be well practiced at shooting at flying objects to hit a Drone at the distance that is shown in that photo , not to mention , I doubt a Pellet gun would have had that much energy to bring the Drone down , if it had enough to even penetrate the Drone's Shell , thats one hell of a shot with a projectile with a trajectory of a softball at that distance . Air pressure or even CO2 is not good for distance of any kind , sure small game & even Hogs are shot with some of the high $$ Pellet guns , but the Hogs are shot at near point blank range in the Ear canal.

The reason he probably told LE it was a Pellet gun is , as I have said , they would or should have charged him , if he used a firearm of any sort , shooting in the air is illegal . A Pellet gun is not a Firearm .

I would like to know what the FAA ruling is on these type of situations , after all they want us to Register them , there should be some kind of regulation about shooting down a registered craft of any kind .

The Police chief is an idiot & probably grew up with this Bone head .

I like the small claims court idea. But the guy may not have any assets and it could be difficult getting compensated even if you win. Still, it would be interesting to see what happens.

Sorry for your loss.

I'm with Gearbox in that it seems more of a shotgun approach than a pellet gun. Since another link mentions the sale of anti-drone shotgun shells, I wouldn't put it passed someone buying them and using them. He may know what to say via a gun class to avoid legal matters too.

Personally, I wouldn't let him bask in his glory too long. Go to the courthouse and ask about filing a small claim for replacement costs and having the sheriff serve him to shut him up. Sure he may never pay, but it might make him less likely to pull the stunt again for fear of losing his guns. He may turn it over to his homeowner's insurance if over the deductible or the judge may force it, but they may reciprocate and raise his rates forever too.

Good link by Rothgarr too on the "Concerned safety issues" FAA form link too.

can't see the video...

This is state dependent, not sure about where the poster is however.
Was somewhere in Indiana unless mistaken .
can't see the video...
No as he took it down . Was like if I remember correctly a homecoming parade . Was nothing of the incident he posted on .
Maybe he's redoing it and will repost it or come back and explain why it was took down .

Depending on the state you live in, pellet guns could be classified as firearms just like a rifle. In NJ, pellet guns have the same laws limiting thier use and purchase as any other firearm. Even the hunting slingshots can get you arrested in NJ. And all of the comments about it being a federal crime to discharge a firearm in a rural area, and especially into the air, are true. If your local police department will not act on it, contact the state police and DA.

Oh, and a drone that is registered with the FAA is protected by law. Anyone that intentionally interferes with a drone while in flight, electronically or by shooting at it, should be reported to the state police and the FAA.

Reactions: Jimbocom
No video and no pictures of the damaged drone?
Makes the whole story suspicious

No video and no pictures of the damaged drone?
Makes the whole story suspicious
You are correct but they were there before he took them down for whatever .And with that we will let this rest till Tyson Wheeler contacts me and I will reopen this .
I see no reason to leave it open till he does .
Intermiison 3.png

Reactions: Joe Brinduse
Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic