Why are the majority of drone pilots last inline

A public Use COA does have testing and it's usually not just a written test but also a Hands-On test and they usually have monthly or 6-month flight requirements. A Public Use COA is a lot more work and complexity than a simple Part 107.

Also the Public Use COA absolutely does NOT allow for anything outside of what's written into the COA. In fact, a standard Public Use COA doesn't even allow for Dept/Agency work such as "flying for Demonstration/Marketing" type scenarios. Under a standard Public Use COA you couldn't fly and take pictures of your Dept/Agency to promote/market the agency. Flying "under" a Public Use COA doesn't NOT allow for a "side job" what so ever... they are VERY strict and state what is allowed. If something isn't specifically ALLOWED in the COA it is strictly NOT allowed.

It's the online portal for hobby & Part 107 operators to see their credentials, registrations, and where you apply for a Waiver (if applicable).

what is DroneZone?
thanks for the information

Reactions: BigAl07
Just reading through some of the latest comments. If you're unsure of something, the FAA has a dedicated UAS email address and they're super friendly and helpful. More than eager to help.

[email protected]

Just reading through some of the latest comments. If you're unsure of something, the FAA has a dedicated UAS email address and they're super friendly and helpful. More than eager to help.

[email protected]

Very well said and VERY true! Contrary to what many believe, they are there and more than willing to help and give SOLID guidance.

thanks to BigA107 for the DroneZone info. Didn't realize it had been three years already
I see you just joined earlier this month. You'll find there are a handful of people here that absolutely know what they're talkin about... BigAl07 is one of them

I was a little confused if I was totally in G airspace. My app showed I was 6 miles away for controlled airspace but it alerted me about two Heliports within 2 miles of my house.
I called the local FSDO, they checked my location and verified I was in G airspace, and the Heliports were not relevant and I could fly with caution.

I was a little confused if I was totally in G airspace. My app showed I was 6 miles away for controlled airspace but it alerted me about two Heliports within 2 miles of my house.
I called the local FSDO, they checked my location and verified I was in G airspace, and the Heliports were not relevant and I could fly with caution.

If you are in G airspace, no authorization is necessary.

In the DJI Drone beginning 2014.
1. Flying a mile out was an adventure.
2. Lots of pilots hopped up their controllers with range extender antennas. It was and still is a big business.
3. The promotion of drones were how far and how long you could fly.
4. Flying at night produced great 4th of July videos,
5. Calling the ATC was no big deal 4 minutes all the questions were basically the same.
The AMA got involved with the FAA and look at us now.
Know one in their right mind wants to lose a $1600.00 drone.
The younger generation won't get it, but at 69 years of age and experiencing years of government.
I do not recognize it anymore, promoting a scar tactic about toys bringing down airliners and killing hundreds of people is a bit over the top. We all know about airline tragedies and none of them involved a flock of toy drones. Just fly responsible.

Last edited:
In the DJI Drone beginning 2014.
1. Flying a mile out was an adventure.
2. Lots of pilots hopped up their controllers with range extender antennas. It was and still is a big business.
3. The promotion of drones were how far and how long you could fly.
4. Flying at night produced great 4th of July videos,
5. Calling the ATC was no big deal 4 minutes all the questions were basically the same.
The AMA got involved with the FAA and look at us now.
Except in extreme cases of being too close to an airport, if everyone would stay below 400ft. Make it 200 ft. I don’t see why there should be all the rules. I have no idea why a realtor that flies just above tree top would have to go through all the Aeronautical training. Most probably don’t anyway. ( ok, I’m ready for the comebacks) lol

The younger generation won't get it, but at 69 years of age and experiencing years of government.
I do not recognize it anymore, promoting a scar tactic about toys bringing down airliners and killing hundreds of people is a bit over the top. We all know about airline tragedies and none of them involved a flock of toy drones. Just fly responsible.

Reactions: WV. Rootman

I suppose you are not now nor have ever been a private pilot?
You might feel differently if your a$$ was on-board a full-scale aircraft.

Can you link me to your scar [sic] tactic source citing toys (drones?) do not pose a risk to manned aircraft (inc. airliners)?

If people had flown, I mean operated, these toys responsibly from the beginning it might be a different government experience.

Model Airplane enthusiasts had been flying a century before all this multi-rotor nonsense showed how irresponsible many can be (FYI: the AMA is 83 years old).

Organizations exist to promote and preserve their 'cause', individuals do not.

I suppose you are not now nor have ever been a private pilot?
You might feel differently if your a$$ was on-board a full-scale aircraft.

Can you link me to your scar [sic] tactic source citing toys (drones?) do not pose a risk to manned aircraft (inc. airliners)?

If people had flown, I mean operated, these toys responsibly from the beginning it might be a different government experience.

Model Airplane enthusiasts had been flying a century before all this multi-rotor nonsense showed how irresponsible many can be (FYI: the AMA is 83 years old).

Organizations exist to promote and preserve their 'cause', individuals do not.

I agree. I have 45 years of R/C experience under my belt and you're exactly right... we did this for decades and Self Policed very well. But we also had to know how to fly and do a bit more than "Buy, Charge, Hit FLY". Yes I'm a bit bitter :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor