Why are the majority of drone pilots last inline

In the DJI Drone beginning 2014.
1. Flying a mile out was an adventure.
2. Lots of pilots hopped up their controllers with range extender antennas. It was and still is a big business.
3. The promotion of drones were how far and how long you could fly.
4. Flying at night produced great 4th of July videos,
5. Calling the ATC was no big deal 4 minutes all the questions were basically the same.
The AMA got involved with the FAA and look at us now.
So you are blaming the AMA for the additional regulations? WOW! I believe the AMA has been trying to keep hobbyists protected from FAA regulation. Maybe I am naive.

Reactions: wcw1223 and BigAl07
So you are blaming the AMA for the additional regulations? WOW! I believe the AMA has been trying to keep hobbyists protected from FAA regulation. Maybe I am naive.

You're right! The AMA has tried to go against regulations especially for hobbyists.

I know they we pushing very hard for AMA members to not have to register but instead allow our AMA number to be displayed on our planes. But it does not seem that they will get that accomplished at this point.

I know they we pushing very hard for AMA members to not have to register but instead allow our AMA number to be displayed on our planes. But it does not seem that they will get that accomplished at this point.

Correct they did not get that. I could argue both sides of that one and all of my aircraft have my AMA# only because my "Identification Labels" already had AMA# on them.

Except in extreme cases of being too close to an airport, if everyone would stay below 400ft. Make it 200 ft. I don’t see why there should be all the rules. I have no idea why a realtor that flies just above tree top would have to go through all the Aeronautical training. Most probably don’t anyway. ( ok, I’m ready for the comebacks) lol
I agree.

studied hard to get my 107 certification, bought an online study guide from a reputable Drone Organization, $400 later had my license. Added drone video to my existing videography business. Right now a potential client is deciding between hiring me or doing something internally because he can get certified 107 free as an organization. A college professor with no intention of flying himself, certified for free.
had to get it of my chest, thanks.

• Wow
Reactions: DoomMeister
studied hard to get my 107 certification, bought an online study guide from a reputable Drone Organization, $400 later had my license. Added drone video to my existing videography business. Right now a potential client is deciding between hiring me or doing something internally because he can get certified 107 free as an organization. A college professor with no intention of flying himself, certified for free.
I've heard of no exemption to the cost of the Part 107 certification exam. How is he getting it for free? Also it is only $150 to take the exam.

I would wish him best of luck in the exam. My local FSDO confessed to me this week that most people who take the test fail. This will be your face when he returns to hire you for your drone services.
satisfaction-face.jpg

$250 for the online drone course
Ok but that was your decision and shouldn't be factored into the price difference if that other person's test fee was waived. The difference is still only $150

organizations, fire, police, educational and apparently county are exempt from the test.
I don't see any such exemption anywhere in the FAA literature. Perhaps his employer is actually paying for it.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-06-15 at 2.05.35 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-15 at 2.05.35 PM.png
    133.9 KB · Views: 87
  • Screen Shot 2019-06-15 at 2.07.45 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-15 at 2.07.45 PM.png
    969.9 KB · Views: 98
That is not an exemption from paying the fee. That is an organization applying for a waiver and self certifying pilots. Those pilots are not Part 107 licensed and can only do work for that agency.
They can't take on commercial work like you can.
Also the agency needs to take it upon themselves to properly train and self certify the pilots. They can't just say "go fly".
This is totally different than your 107 licensed

That is not an exemption from paying the fee. That is an organization applying for a waiver and self certifying pilots. Those pilots are not Part 107 licensed and can only do work for that agency.
They can't take on commercial work like you can.
Also the agency needs to take it upon themselves to properly train and self certify the pilots. They can't just say "go fly".
This is totally different than your 107 licensed
my point is made. No testing necessary. Who says they can't take a side job.

I just renewed my AMA membership so I could fly at a local sanction park nearby.
One thing I did do is purchased an AeroScout 1.1 meter trainer airplane with safe technology, hoping to learn to fly.
It looks like great fun and no FAA testing required. I tired of all the hassle associated with drones so I am taking a break, all I want to do are loops and have some fun for a change.
IMG_0644.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: BigAl07
That plane is still a drone in the eyes of the FAA and requires the registration to be displayed on the outside of the aircraft.
I just renewed my AMA membership so I could fly at a local sanction park nearby.
One thing I did do is purchased an AeroScout 1.1 meter trainer airplane with safe technology, hoping to learn to fly.
It looks like great fun and no FAA testing required. I tired of all the hassle associated with drones so I am taking a break, all I want to do are loops and have some fun for a change.
View attachment 112093

Sent from my QTASUN1 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: PhantomFandom
my point is made. No testing necessary.
That was not your point. Your original statement said:
deciding between hiring me or doing something internally because he can get certified 107 free as an organization
That is totally not true. He is NOT getting a Part 107 certification. His organization is getting a waiver for him to do work ONLY for that organization. The organization is also responsible for making sure he is properly trained.
Who says they can't take a side job.
No one says he can't take a side job. So could the 17-year-old kid who mows your lawn. However they both would be doing so illegally. Your friend cannot take a commercial side job since he is NOT a Part 107 licensed pilot.

Reactions: BigAl07

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor