Why are the majority of drone pilots last inline

Reaction score
There were around 1.1 million drones in the United States as of December 31, 2017.
During 2019, that number will reach 2 million. Source: FAA.
FAA Hits 100K Remote Pilot Certificates Issued.
I think this is an honest question.
Please comment, the silent majority.

Last edited:
Huh?
There were around 1.1 million drones in the United States as of December 31, 2017.

Can you rephrase the question?

I really have no idea what you're asking here. Random facts about drone numbers and no question.

huh-black-guy.jpg

Huh?

Can you rephrase the question?
Once upon a time drone hobbies could simple call the ATC and get permission to fly in control air space.
Now it is a waiting game to use the LAANC system. More that a million and a half people are told to find G airspace or fly at a AMA area and wait till the end of the year to use the LAANC.

Reactions: Basspig
Once upon a time drone hobbies could simple call the ATC and get permission to fly in control air space.
Now it is a waiting game to use the LAANC system. More that a million and a half people are told to find G airspace or fly at a AMA area and wait till the end of the year to use the LAANC.
If it makes you feel better. LAANC automatic authorization system has been down where I live, so I have to used the old slow system to get approvals.

The writing was on the wall that this was coming a long time ago.

If it makes you feel better. LAANC automatic authorization system has been down where I live, so I have to used the old slow system to get approvals.
Your lucky you have permission to get permission, even if you have to wait. I am banned from calling anyone.

Reactions: Basspig
Your lucky you have permission to get permission, even if you have to wait.

Lucky? The wait for "DroneZone" authorization could take up to 180 days and that's not a guaranteed approval. It's possible a Part 107 operator could submit a request, wait "up to" 180 days, and still get denial with no real reasons other than "need more information".

I'm sorry to step on toes here but I don't feel sorry for anyone who has to wait to get Airspace Authorization. The mere fact of flying our toys in Controlled Airspace with Manned (as in carrying live human beings) and not having to get approval was always mind boggling and borderline insanity to me.

I am banned from calling anyone.
Not banned.. just put on hold for up to 180 wait. It took Part 107 operators over 2 YEARS to get LAANC up and running and, as already noted above, not every airport has LAANC now.

What's really going to "Frost your Wheaties" is when people realize the depth and gravity of my above statement.....

Not all airports currently have LAANC and several of the ones who aren't currently in LAANC probably never will.

What concerns me is, everyone I met flying a drone have nothing to do with these forums. They know little about drone laws and just fly. Are the skies going to be like the wild west? I don't hear people talking about these rogue fliers. Is it going to be like when the Citizen band radios became popular? There were so many Rogue users the FCC couldn't track them all down.

Controlled airspace is controlled for a reason. That reason is because there is an above average concentration of manned aircraft traffic in that airspace. As as was mentioned by @BigAl07 it really makes no sense to have the casual/recreational/hobbyist drone operator to fly there with just a simple phone call. LAANC lets ATC know exactly who you are, where you will be, and when you will be there.

Personally (and yes this is just my opinion), I don't see what the big deal is. Even though I am a licensed Part 107 pilot, the great majority of my flying is done in areas that require no authorization. No that is not because I live in the middle of Montana. I am very close to Class B airspace in one of the busiest air traffic corridors on the planet (Philadelphia, NYC, DC). Yet I fly all over the area in locations that are perfectly legal to fly in, up to 400 feet.

LAANC authorization will be available for recreational pilots soon. In the meantime, it gives you the opportunity to explore your area for other wonderful flying locations.

In most of my cases, there have been automatic approvals for flying 400' and below with no LAANC or waiver needed.

In most of my cases, there have been automatic approvals for flying 400' and below with no LAANC or waiver needed.

Automatic approvals from?

Reactions: DoomMeister
Except in extreme cases of being too close to an airport, if everyone would stay below 400ft. Make it 200 ft. I don’t see why there should be all the rules. I have no idea why a realtor that flies just above tree top would have to go through all the Aeronautical training. Most probably don’t anyway. ( ok, I’m ready for the comebacks) lol

Reactions: weldor and Basspig
Automatic approvals from?

I use the KityHawk app which has built inLAANC request, I search the area I will be flying to see if it is needed. In most cases, as I said, 400' and below is approved. I pulled up an example for one of the last jobs I did. It says "Low Altitude" but I was able to do the 400'

Well our society has been so welcoming of Government regulation of drones and everything else these days I don’t feel sorry for anyone anymore. Our society has been so brainwashed into thinking they can’t do anything safely without some authority putting arbitrary hurdles in front of them. We (maybe not you and me) but “we” as a society can’t seem to freely give up our liberties fast enough these days. It’s that post 911 mentality and it’s never going away. We live in Communist USA now

Except in extreme cases of being too close to an airport, if everyone would stay below 400ft. Make it 200 ft. I don’t see why there should be all the rules. I have no idea why a realtor that flies just above tree top would have to go through all the Aeronautical training. Most probably don’t anyway. ( ok, I’m ready for the comebacks) lol

Many do get "legal" but mostly because many MLS's are cracking down. With our local MLS you have to have your RPIC # and NC DOT Aviation Permit on file with them when the Realtor submits the data or it gets rejected.

I understand your rationale re:Realtor at Tree Top but keep in mind we have to account for those who decide "If I bump it up to 200' I can also get a picture of the lake/golf course/mall etc in the image."

Also what happens if they are flying at 45' to get that perfect shot and they lose connection with the aircraft and RTH kicks in. I would imagine most people have RTH set much higher than "just above tree tops". I've worked with several clients who mistakenly set their RTH at 120M (400') and thought that was fine. We are constantly having to think about "What If" in aviation and trying to plan for it so when IT happens we have a plan in place to handle it.

I use the KityHawk app which has built inLAANC request, I search the area I will be flying to see if it is needed. In most cases, as I said, 400' and below is approved. I pulled up an example for one of the last jobs I did. It says "Low Altitude" but I was able to do the 400'

View attachment 111785

Oh so you ARE indeed getting LAANC approval then. I misread your other post and I was thinking you weren't getting anything from LAANC.

My apology.

View attachment 111785
How do you get Kittyhawk to show the request LAANC authorization tab? I have yet to achieve this.

Many do get "legal" but mostly because many MLS's are cracking down. With our local MLS you have to have your RPIC # and NC DOT Aviation Permit on file with them when the Realtor submits the data or it gets rejected.

I understand your rationale re:Realtor at Tree Top but keep in mind we have to account for those who decide "If I bump it up to 200' I can also get a picture of the lake/golf course/mall etc in the image."

Also what happens if they are flying at 45' to get that perfect shot and they lose connection with the aircraft and RTH kicks in. I would imagine most people have RTH set much higher than "just above tree tops". I've worked with several clients who mistakenly set their RTH at 120M (400') and thought that was fine. We are constantly having to think about "What If" in aviation and trying to plan for it so when IT happens we have a plan in place to handle it.
I don’t believe most people have the good heart you do. License doesn’t keep people from breaking the law. People are mainly self centered, narcissistic, the big problem with our society that is promoted by the media.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1