Must I calibrate the IMU?

b.d

Reaction score
Hi all, first time poster-- just got my P3P yesterday!

Before each flight yesterday, I calibrated the compass and all went well, but the more and more I read the board, the more I see people recommending to recalibrate the IMU.

Is this necessary if the drone is working fine after a normal compass calibration? Or is it only if it becomes problematic.

I'm, like everyone, trying to eliminate all possible paths to a fly away.

Thanks!

b.d

You should always calibrate the IMU after installing new firmware. Also, if your Phantom moves around a lot while hovering (with both sticks centered), then you should calibrate it then as well.

You should always calibrate the IMU after installing new firmware. Also, if your Phantom moves around a lot while hovering (with both sticks centered), then you should calibrate it then as well.

I updated the firmware yesterday before I took it out but haven't done an IMU calibration.

Does the IMU calibration need to be done at the site of launch or can I do it in my home?

You should do it inside. It's best to do it after your Phantom has been sitting in a cool place -- like in the A/C or outside if it's cool at night. Also, it's extremely important to do it on a level surface. And, when I say level, you should get out a level and check it :)

Always recalibrate the IMU after any kind of impact.... assuming there is enough of the aircraft left to fly :)

And this is totally necessary if the first few flights went fine with no movement of the aircraft without touching the sticks.. simply because I upgraded the firmware?

And this is totally necessary if the first few flights went fine with no movement of the aircraft without touching the sticks.. simply because I upgraded the firmware?
Yes.

As mentioned above, most people have had best results if the phantom is cool and you go right to the calibration immediately after turning it on. During the calibration the phantom collects data about its sensors at varying temperature points. If it starts out cold, it gets more data and can start quicker and is has a better calibration

And, you can do IMU calibration on a rainy day!

Chris

The app will tell you if you MUST do it, but it's something best done from time to time anyway.
You'll often notice more precise handling after a good calibration.
Doing it when the phantom is as cool as possible will reduce your 'warming up' time in subsequent flights so et to do it immediately after turning on the battery.

Immediately after IMU calibration is the ideal time to auto calibrate the gimbal since it's on the same level surface.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.