Must-Have Accessories

I am a newby to the Phantom 3 series, but I would recommend a custom carry case (can be had cheap for $35), a ND4 filter, alternate lens cap and gimbal lock set (originals suck), prop guards (since you are still learning to fly?), plenty of spare prop sets, a gimbal guard, at least 1 extra battery, function stickers for your controller and a (sun glare) hood for your smart device. There is a top 10 add-on video on YouTube that is helpful and is made by an experienced drone pilot. Hope this helps some.

Like many on here, I was fortunate to grab a P3S at the Walmart black Friday, and now I am onto getting the must-have add-ons.

I already got the propeller guards, and wondering what other users (experienced and new) consider a must.

Still debating on the tablet and how to attach it to the controller. I have an iPad AIr with WIFI/Cellular ... but that is too bulky to mount on the controller. Some places swear by the Nvidia Shield K1 ... and am wondering if other viable options are out there.

Yes there are. I use an iPad Mini on my P4 controller. The sliding clamp provided on the controller accomodates it just fine. It also collapses to all sizes in between iPad mini and completely closed. So any capable phone of any size in that range should fit it. But the ever present problem with phones and tablets, even with a sun bonnet is that the screen just isn't bright enough to allow you to fly safely. In fact, on a sunny day, it's just about useless. I plan to try the FPV goggles next. I'm not sure how to resolve the "line-of-site" requirement in the regulations when wearing those without spending a huge amount of money for goggles with another camera mounted in them for that purpose. How do you guys deal with that problem without just disregarding the regs?

I'm debating whether a mini iPad 2.0 with 32 GB is sufficient (WIFI only) or if I need to get cellular so the maps can be downloaded as needed. Does such tablet have enough computing power to handle the video and talk to the bird?

I'm debating whether a mini iPad 2.0 with 32 GB is sufficient (WIFI only) or if I need to get cellular so the maps can be downloaded as needed.
If you get the Wi-Fi only version, you can either cache the maps before you head out to fly or tether the iPad Mini 2 to your mobile phone to download the maps.

Does such tablet have enough computing power to handle the video and talk to the bird?
Yes. The iPad Mini 4 is faster, lighter, and brighter. It's worth the extra if it's still within your budget.

Thank you Guys ... how about the Nvidia Shield, I've read a lot about it (it has built-in GPS) but wonder if it's still the best tablet out there. I'm contemplating the IPad mini 2 (WIFI only) vs. Nvidia Shield .... (same price $200), or go for the iPad mini 4.

So, here are my options:

1. Ipad Mini 2 (WIFI only, NO GPS, 32GB) - $200
2. Nvidia Shield (WIFI only, WITH GPS) - $200
3. iPad mini 4 (WIFI+Cellular, built-in GPS) - $400

Which would you go for? ... given the features they all have. Cellular is not too important for me but somehow Apple puts a GPS sensor only in its Cellular devices ... I have a smart phone + a hot-spot I can tether. The GPS-on-device is important (in my view) for 'follow-me' mode.

Last edited:
If you need GPS, then it sounds like #2 and #3 are your only options. Both will work well with DJI GO.

Regarding mounting an iPad to the P3S here are Youtube videos on two different mounts that can be added. There may be more, but I found these pretty helpful. (((In general, anything you want to do can be found already done on YouTube.))) If you want to jack your antenna range to "farther than you can see", there are several great videos on replacing the P3S antennas. I too am a newbie to the group, though I have many years of experience as an RC plane pilot. My P3S has not even arrived yet but I've gone through the manual(online) and watched dozens of videos... I'm ready to go! Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSrtuUWAoRk

My 1st must was a comfortable landyard which only cost 10 bucks on amazon. Second was a metal arm for ipad holder because the plastic arm suks! Good luck, and safe flying [emoji106][emoji41]

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

The nicks are in the trailing edges of the propeller. I'm not sure a spinning prop could get nicked on the back side, I would expect the nicks on the leading edge??
Looks like the leading edge to me.

Rod

I have been super cautious of her and never flown near trees. I am guessing black and grey spin opposite ways. I am a noob.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

You guessed right lol :) two props spin clockwise and two spin counter clockwise

Hello everyone! I recently purchased my first drone, and I am looking to replace the stock cell phone holder that comes the the Phantom 3 Standard. Any links would be greatly appreciated. I want to make sure that I can rotate the holder horizontally. I have a Galaxy Note5. I've been looking on amazon but not quite sure. Thanks in advance!

You can try the DJI Inspire mount. It would require drilling a hole in the controller (there are instructions on how to do this).

DJI INspire Mount - $30 from Amazon
Nut - can get it from phantomhelp.com

You can try the DJI Inspire mount. It would require drilling a hole in the controller (there are instructions on how to do this).
Detailed instructions for that mod can be found here.

If you are a beginner and would like huge additional landing stability or just want the freedom to land anywhere without worry, you might try the WaterStrider.

View media item 1675

In FL the air is often full of large flying insects. Will striking, say a dragonfly, damage props? I would certainly think so.

Like many on here, I was fortunate to grab a P3S at the Walmart black Friday, and now I am onto getting the must-have add-ons.

I already got the propeller guards, and wondering what other users (experienced and new) consider a must.

Still debating on the tablet and how to attach it to the controller. I have an iPad AIr with WIFI/Cellular ... but that is too bulky to mount on the controller. Some places swear by the Nvidia Shield K1 ... and am wondering if other viable options are out there.

I would ditch the prop guards, you wont need them and they add weight and impact performance. I thought they were a good idea when I first got my Phantom P3P but found out within about 20 minutes that you don't need them. You shouldn't be flying so close to other objects that you might crash into them and landing is simple. I've never had a landing where the bird fell over while running or any other time for that matter.

I've also tried and ultimately rejected the after market lens cover and gimbal support and went back to the factory parts. Once you get the hang of how the factory gimbal support attaches it will slide right on and I think it is a superior design to the aftermarket designs. I also bought a carbon fiber gimbal guard thing that attaches between the landing legs and found that on startup the camera would hit the guard so that went as well - it's another thing that you really don't need.

The items I do think are useful are the rubber motor covers that you slip over the motors (props off of course) when storing - keeps the dust and any other debris from getting in the motor.

I also like the DJI carbon fiber (they are a composite, not 100% carbon fiber) props. They are more stiff than the stock white props and I think that the flight characteristics are better with the stiffer props. That could be purely imagined but the white props are a bit flexible so under full power and making sharper maneuvers if the prop flexes it seems that you would lose some lift from the flexed surface - again, I could be crazy. Bottom line, I like the look of the black props.

There are a number of aftermarket brackets for mounting a tablet to the standard controller. I also have a standard P3 and found a suitable bracket on Amazon - it's a very simple thing to install.

Range was my biggest issue with the P3S so I put an aftermarket antenna on the controller - this requires a lot more modification of the controller and there is one step that will render the controller useless if you mess that up. There are a few posts with instructions and links to YouTube videos that show how to do it and they all warn you about this one tricky step. So if you are at all concerned that you might brick your bird think twice because there is a fairly good chance of that happening.

One last mod that I do think is a good preventative measure is the motor mounting supports. These are a 3D printed part that screws to the bottom of each motor and relieves the stress on the Phantom body where many have had stress cracks develop. I put them on soon after I got both Phantoms and have never developed a stress crack but I might have one of the stronger body shells - no way to verify this that I know of.

That's it from my experience. Everyone will have their own opinion of what is useful and what is a waste of time and money so you will have to wade through them and make up your own mind as to what you feel is best for you.

Oh, and as many have already said, buy a second battery.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4