Must calibrate gimbal twice before each flight

Reaction score
I've been having a strange problem recently with my P3A where when I turn on the drone the gimbal is not centered and after not one but two automatic calibrations it works fine again. It didn't always do this and has become a bit annoying.

I've recalibrated the IMU and compass but neither helped. Have any of you experienced this or have advice?

Thanks

Never got any responses but wanted to follow up as I believe I know now what the issue was. Posting in case anyone else ever has that happen.

So this all started after a crash when the roll gimbal motor pulled off the magnets. I was able to just push the roll motor back together and for the most part the gimbal still worked great, except this double calibration thing.

Fast forward to last week when inside my phantom's backpack the roll gimbal motor pulled off the magnets again and put a small gash in my ribbon cable. As part of the repair proccess, I did a lot of research on the roll motor and replacing ribbon cables and learned that the issue may have been that the roll motor was not centered in the potentiometer (I don't have pictures but a quick search could find them). After replacing the ribbon cable and roll motor (which recalibrated the potentiometer, though I could've probably kept using the same motor and re-aligning manually) it works great.

I've read that the potentiometer doesn't have to be perfectly aligned (flat spot on the shaft is horizontal) but am guessing that if it's just a bit too far off it'll put you into this range of working but only after a double calibration. Too far off and I've read it'll just roll back and forth and may say "gimbal motor overload".

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr