IMU calibration with each flight

Reaction score
So I occasionally listen to DroneU, as hard as it is with Paul's immature personality, voice, giggle, narcissism, etc. However, he is knowledgeable about DJI drones in general. He thinks very highly of himself. :rolleyes: I will often disagree with his opinions but this one, I couldn't believe he actually said this. He's states calibrating the IMU with every flight will fix tilted horizons, that's what he recommends. That's seems so far fetched and time consuming, not to mention risky with environments that aren't ideal. I occasionally see tilted horizon but hardly ever recalibrate IMU or compass. And even with a fresh IMU calibration I can still get horizon tilt sometimes. Doing this in the field with each flight seem ludicrous to me, and unnecessary. Am I wrong? Has anyone else experienced less horizon tilt with frequent IMU calibrations?

I have just accepted the fact that DJI can't make a perfect gimbal to always keep the horizon exactly level. Is this how you feel? Those few occasions I have a horizon tilt problem I simply adjust it with C2 + photo wheel. However that's not very often.

Find another channel to watch....

As to he IMU cal- perhaps he meant gimble calibration?

Who knows- he could be playing with a rabbits foot or something else in his pocket while he is doing it or there is nothing wrong and it’s coincidence.

Like you I adjust in flight if it needs it- it’s no deama to fix in post if needed anyway..

We’ve taken 600 lots of footage and haven’t had a single instance of a wonky or tilted horizon yet. As a stills landscape photographer, this is something I’m precise about.

Perhaps we’re lucky with our P4P+ or perhaps DJI had sorted the issue before we entered the market a year ago.

Find another channel to watch....
I can't stand watching Paul and his antics, so I listen to him on their podcast. ~60% of their content is quite good. I typically download their podcast in the morning for my commute to work. The other guy with him, Rob, he's great.

What podcasts to you listen to for good commercial drone content? Commercial Drones FM is the only other one I listen too on podcast, but he publishes less frequent, but good content. I can't find a good assortment of podcasts about commercial drones. On YouTube I subscribe to Drone Valley, OriginalDobo, Ken Heron, Tony&Chelsea, Photoshop Cafe, Toms Techtime. Those usually have good content, presented in a good professional way. Ken's a card.

Reactions: MTO
I don’t listen to any drone related podcasts. What I do know is I wouldn’t be suffering through any content where I found the presenter annoying.

Reactions: Brockrock

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie