Mounting mobile phones to P3P bird

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I need some advise. I'm about to do a demo with the P3P with 1 phone connected one each side total of 2 phones. So most of the stuff is done and tested. I designed and 3D printed the phone holders which look very steady.

I have tested the drone flying outdoors with both phones connected but turned off and seemed to be ok but of course I could see the wind catching on to it a little bit more then normal.

I have calibrated the compass before flying and before the phones were mounted.
The image attached gives you an idea of how one of the phones will be mounted while the other will be exactly the same on the other side.

I have also bought a set of DJI carbon fibre props to reduce the weight and vibrations (hoping it helps)

My questions are below:

Should i calibrate the compass with the phones mounted or without the phones?

Do you think there will be issues with transmitting and connection if I fly with the phones on? Please note I will need the phones on with a cellular data connection for the demo.

The demo will be indoors which means no GPS and all manual flying. Which mode should I put the remote on"P" or "A"? If I remember well the lat time I flew indoors I left it on "P"

I will be flying inside a cage made up of steel frame with nylon netting. The size will be L 4 meters x W 3 meters x H 4 meters. Will the steel frame be an issue.

Also this demo will be at a very large conference with plenty of other companies so I expect 100's of wifis and mobiles in the vicinity is this asking for trouble?

The Hall will be around 150 miles from my home which is the last calibrate position. Should I re-calibrate the compass inside the hall or no? I expect this to be a big no but open to suggestions.

Thanks for your help. If you think i should be concerned about something else which I did not mention please let me know.
drone phone holder.PNG

Thanks for your help. If you think .. about something else which I did not mention please let me know.
Why?
I have also bought a set of DJI carbon fibre props to reduce the weight and vibrations (hoping it helps)
Did you have a vibration problem already?
Did you compare the weight of the props?
Should i calibrate the compass with the phones mounted or without the phones?
You should recalibrate the Phantom whenever you add any additional metal or electrical equipment so the compass can compensate for whatever magnetic effect you add.
The demo will be indoors which means no GPS and all manual flying. Which mode should I put the remote on"P" or "A"? If I remember well the lat time I flew indoors I left it on "P"
to hover
Unless you have a well lit floor with a surface suitable for VPS, you should use atti mode and set your loss of signal options to hover.
I will be flying inside a cage made up of steel frame with nylon netting. The size will be L 4 meters x W 3 meters x H 4 meters. Will the steel frame be an issue
Maybe
Also this demo will be at a very large conference with plenty of other companies so I expect 100's of wifis and mobiles in the vicinity is this asking for trouble?
Probably
The Hall will be around 150 miles from my home which is the last calibrate position. Should I re-calibrate the compass inside the hall or no? I expect this to be a big no but open to suggestions.
Normally calibrating indoors is not advised but since that is the environment you are planning to fly in, you probably should.
Sounds like you need to do some testing before you go live with an audience.

And one more time .... Why?

+ 2 for Why 2 mobile phones

Please let us know what are you trying to achieve with two additional mobile phones. Mobile phone will be ineffective in a cage for communication purposes.

Reactions: ondesko
Why? We run a mobile network testing company basically our SW runs on phones, laptops, scanners and all sorts of equipment you name it. The reason it is in a cage is for safety since it is an indoors event. The idea is to show customers that they can have their network tested with drones not by just walk testing and drive testing. This idea could be applied to test over the sea eg where cruise liners wait to come into port in empty football stadiums and so on. I will have a live stream set up to see both mobile phone screens while they are in the air and also the phone will be running data download or voice call tests automatically. We have already done a similar test with the inspire and 4 phones mounted to it in a football stadium in Dubai. But again that was out doors so did not have to worry about keeping it steady as the GPS does most of the work.. What I am a bit stressed about this time round is that it's indoors with plenty of interference sources and flying in a confined space. Also will be using the prop guards for the first time so not sure if they will affect my flight performance. I am currently on the way to the event hall to trial the whole setup. And tomorrow and the day after will be the event days. The event is "5G World" in London

Why?

Did you have a vibration problem already?
Did you compare the weight of the props?

You should recalibrate the Phantom whenever you add any additional metal or electrical equipment so the compass can compensate for whatever magnetic effect you add.
to hover
Unless you have a well lit floor with a surface suitable for VPS, you should use atti mode and set your loss of signal options to hover.

Maybe

Probably

Normally calibrating indoors is not advised but since that is the environment you are planning to fly in, you probably should.
Sounds like you need to do some testing before you go live with an audience.

And one more time .... Why?

I didn't compare the weight of the props but they do feel lighter and also very stiff with no bending.

So are you saying calibrate with the phones mounted?

For VPS to work does it have to be on the p-GPS mode? If set to ATTI mode will VPS be disabled?

Also I am running FW 1.4 the first version which had the intelligent flight mode in it. Never had issues with it so far. Is there any added benefits in upgrading to latest FW?

Hey guys the demo was a success . Basically I flew in ATTI mode and did not re calibrate the compass at the venue as I thought there would be a bigger chance of introducing errors if I calibrate indoors with so much metal around.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers