Is it safe?

• Probably

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
I was stupidly flying this evening in the garden without the light on (forgot) and I was doing the manoeuvre where you go forwards for a bit then yaw round 180 and go the other way, kinda fun but I didn't notice that each time I was doing it I got closer to the bird table that I couldn't see...

It only barely hit it while I was turning at about 1 or 2 metres so I only broke 1 prop and got the phantom a bit muddy as it landed props down but I cleaned it up and it looked fine.

Replaced the prop and it flew perfectly fine but I stared to notice what I can only describe as a kind of rubbing/metal noise on one of the motors. So I took the props off and tested it by holding it and tilting it to rev up one motor or the other, and sure enough when tilted diagonally to one side, now I was only listening to the motors not the props, one motor sounded different(note: not the clicking or grinding others have reported).
I intend to replace the motor as it is quite cheap, but will not be able to replace it as I am away from home for a week.

Is it safe to fly for a few times with the motor like this until I swap it out?
Also any tips on replacing the motor? Haven't opened(or crashed;)) it before

Last edited:
I wouldn't fly on it, with a quadcopter if you have a failed motor you are gonna go down. I would try cleaning the sand or dirt out of it and visually inspect for any damage. If you still think you should replace then go ahead and replace. Also remember to pre-tin the wires before you solder. If you are not comfortable with soldering a new motor in then you should have someone else do the work for you. Here is a link to a video I thought would be useful if I ever got dirt or sand into my motors.

I was stupidly flying this evening in the garden without the light on (forgot) and I was doing the manoeuvre where you go forwards for a bit then yaw round 180 and go the other way, kinda fun but I didn't notice that each time I was doing it I got closer to the bird table that I couldn't see...

It only barely hit it while I was turning at about 1/2 metres so I only broke 1 prop and got the phantom a bit muddy as it landed props down but I cleaned it up and it looked fine.

Replaced the prop and it flew perfectly fine but I stared to notice what I can only describe as a kind of rubbing/metal noise on one of the motors. So I took the props off and tested it by holding it and tilting it to rev up one motor or the other, and sure enough when tilted diagonally to one side, one motor sounded different(note: not the clicking or grinding others have reported).
I intend to replace the motor as it is quite cheap, but will not be able to replace it as I am away from home for a week.

Is it safe to fly for a few times with the motor like this until I swap it out?
Also any tips on replacing the motor? Haven't opened(or crashed;)) it before

Sounds like maybe some foreign material (garden mud/dirt?) may have gotten into the motor or bearing - try blowing it out with a can of comp air! Or there maybe a small bit of gravel stuck between the motor housing and the Phantom frame/housing for the motor - take a magnifying glass and flashlight and have a look there.

Worst scenario is a bent or misaligned motor housing allowing for contact between rotor and stator (check all the motor hardware for tightness) Maybe even loosen off the hardware and re-tighten in the opposite order you loosened them (alignment).

Don't think I would fly until I found a resolve for this noise (especially since it happened after a crash). Worth while if all inspections find nothing as to external damage is to take the motor apart, inspect and clean (nothing like learning the how to's). Best to replace it - like you said not expensive to replace one - it could get a lot more expensive if you fly "as is". Good luck.

Last edited:
When I get some time I will definitely take it apart and give the motor a good clean just in case. But it was oddly the side that wasn't muddy but you never know. Thing is it does sound more like an internal motor/bearing sound, but I'm no expert on quads. (This is my first +£150 quad)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl