Motor acting strange

Reaction score
Hi I’m after reinforceing my phantom 3 standard frame from the inside after finding stress cracks that was fine but when I tried to put the motor screws back in I noticed that they all tightened at different levels I never paid attention to it when I was un screwing the screws so I’m wondering if they’re supposed to be like that or not

The motors are tilted or canted slightly. This may be what you are experiencing.

The warning about length from Jeff is a good one if you ever used prop guards.

Ok thanks haven’t used prop guards put have ordered some so how far should I screw them in

Oh ok now I have one more question I was flying the drone this evening and noticed a high pitch noise coming from the drone does anyone no what it is

Well I don’t think there was any issue with it there was some shaking but I think that that was just wind

You should get longer screw with them. The problem comes if you remove the prop guards and re use the long screws, they will penetrate the motors and ruin them.

This bit of crucial information gets overlooked more than you'd think when ops remove the guards and then reinstall the longer screws used for the guards. BTW, the motors are around 20 bucks a pop, but R&R can be a PITA.

Reactions: AndrewCCM
This bit of crucial information gets overlooked more than you'd think when ops remove the guards and then reinstall the longer screws used for the guards. BTW, the motors are around 20 bucks a pop, but R&R can be a PITA.

Friend of mine did exactly the same thing. Ugh

Ye I also know a friend who did this but I would just like to clarify that I haven’t I was just wondering weather the original screws all tighten up at different levels and if a high pitch noise coming from the drone was normal or not the noise only started this evening

Yes I opened the shell and removed all 4 motors after removing motors I poured some epoxy into the area beneath the bosses which the motor sits on then after doing this under the 4 motors I appleied some epoxy on the stress cracks which where on the bottom shell beneath the motors

I would just like to add that I didnt touch anything that the motor sits upon after reading my last message it sounds like I said I did I meant I only did the area beneath the bosses the motors are sitting on the bosses I would also like to mention that I did have the drone flying after I reinforced the shell and didn’t hear the noise

Ck543. Your props may be out of balance. I had a higher pitch noise from one of my motors. After balancing the props the noise went away. I suspect that at the RPM’s those motors spin at, even a slightly out of balance prop can cause the motor shaft to vibrate slightly causing the noise you are hearing.

OK thanks for that I have also noticed that one of the motors shaft that you screw the props on is shaking slightly I don’t know if it because it’s spinning slightly slower but I do know that when I speed it up it goes away put then as soon as j bring it back to idle it starts again

Reactions: matsum0t0
FWIW I found that MEK will repair cracks by just wetting a pin or small wire with MEK and it will flow into the crack and fuse the plastic.
A drop is too much.
A Common name for " MET " is = Methyl Ethel Keatone.....its very potent stuff No smoking its very flammable !

The screws all tighten the same. Just be very careful not to strip them. I always tighten them up snug and then back them off a quarter turn.

Bud

Ye I also know a friend who did this but I would just like to clarify that I haven’t I was just wondering weather the original screws all tighten up at different levels and if a high pitch noise coming from the drone was normal or not the noise only started this evening

Last edited:

I've tightened my screws until they are snug. And I use Loctite blue on the threads of the screws. That way if some of them aren't as tight as the rest, they won't vibrate out. And I have never had any problems removing them when needed.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic