Most absolutely stable tablet to use with DJI Phantom 4 Pro?

Reaction score
Dear all,

I am becoming exceptionally tired at having Communist car style reliability with tablets, DJI Go 4 app reliability, etc.. Every 5 minutes almost I am getting grey screen right in the middle of a flight, sometimes at critical times, and an "Aircraft Disconnected". It is incredibly confidence sapping, very dangerous potentially, and sometimes even the RTH fails to kick in when that happens. I am using an NVidia Shield K1 tablet with Android 7.0. I am not interested in what is the "favourite" tablet of folk, or the favourite manufacturer, or any Apple iOS v Android arguments: I just sincerely want to know the answer to this question: "is there actually a tablet out there which has provided ABSOLUTELY SOLID reliability from start to end of flight and no matter what flight plans, app features, or changes you make in the DJI GO 4 app (mine is now on v4.13 after the most recent update), as I am only interested in ensuring I can run this damned machine without all the software crashing, or reporting conflicts, or reporting discrepancies - because when I go out in the field, I shut down all Wifi to avoid interference with the transmission frequencies to the aircraft and video up/ downlink, and use offline mapping. Today I went out and it was constantly grey screening on me, aircraft constantly disconnecting, and the only thing different today was a brand new Go 4 update (which I installed before popping out). However, I failed to connect the aircraft to DJI Assistant to see if there was a sister upgrade for the aircraft to go along with the DJI GO 4.13 update (did that a short while ago). However, in spite of conflicts between GO and the aircraft firmware (which basically screws up the camera's ability to function properly I notice), it STILL disconnects app from aircraft regularly! My experience with my P4 Pro is very disconcerting with constant software glitches and regular failures. With all this constant law and regulation changes, you cannot help but feel that, at some point, some aviation authority might even question DJI, or other manufacturers ability, to supply rock solid firmware and software that ensure the aircraft is fully under control AT ALL TIMES. I really do not feel DJI is anywhere near close to that status given my own personal experiences. I just want a set up that actually works - and I just need to hear of any set ups you have that provides that desperately desirable combination of "it works first time, every time, and does not crash/ fail to connect/ lose connection". That would be a utopia I am VERY keen to hear about!

Thanks very much.

Craig

Reactions: jr257944
I use the latest generation iPad 32GB, no celluar and stream the signal from my phone.

Absolutely no issues.

Reactions: Nowelly
I use the latest generation iPad 32GB, no celluar and stream the signal from my phone.

Absolutely no issues.
Hi TrustyCowDog, is that iPad Mini, full size iPad? Which model specifically please? Many thanks - Craig

Righteous anger! Oh how I understand You. :-D
Yes - very sorry about my indignation - please do not for a second think it is a reflection on anyone here: my 'righteous anger' is reserved for DJI, who frankly seem to care more about taking all your money than providing a rock solid, stable and secure and 100% safe-in-operation platform which, call me a Scrooge, should be an absolute MUST when you are shelling out $2000 for a product AND, I might add, platforms that are attracting more attention to the authorities and aviation authorities than organised criminals! :)

Yes - very sorry about my indignation - please do not for a second think it is a reflection on anyone here: my 'righteous anger' is reserved for DJI, who frankly seem to care more about taking all your money than providing a rock solid, stable and secure and 100% safe-in-operation platform which, call me a Scrooge, should be an absolute MUST when you are shelling out $2000 for a product AND, I might add, platforms that are attracting more attention to the authorities and aviation authorities than organised criminals! :)
As I have said, I fully understand. Third tablet, the same issues.

I can't offer any feedback beyond my personal experience with my IOS IPAD AIR 2. It has been a rock solid device for use with my P4P.

I almost never shutdown background apps, use airplane mode, or disable Bluetooth.

Very happy with it.

Holy crap, this is exactly my experience with tablets, although I'm using it for a P3S. 7 different tablets and none have given me a good experience.

Staples has the Ipad on sale for 299 right now, I think I may have to suffer the wrath of the spousal unit and pick one up.

I've got the Plus remote, so no tablet, per se. But it has been very reliable, IMHO. I've had maybe 3 DJI Go lockups in 10 months, but never lost control of the aircraft. Plus it's amazingly bright and very fast to boot up.

I am using the Android, Samsung Tab S-3, it has been totally solid, no issues with flying or updates. Great smooth video, 4k display, very fast, 15oz, thin, does not get hot even at over 100f. Good brightness, use it in sunlight without a shade, with no problems for me.
Some Apple products have been having overheating issues, disconnects and other things related to this.
Not sure what others have been working well, but I am sure others will tell you their experience.

Just pulled the trigger on the Ipad. I told them what I wanted it for and was assured I could return it within 14 days if it did not perform satisfactorily. 249.00

Every 5 minutes almost I am getting grey screen right in the middle of a flight, sometimes at critical times, and an "Aircraft Disconnected". It is incredibly confidence sapping, very dangerous potentially, and sometimes even the RTH fails to kick in when that happens. I am using an NVidia Shield K1 tablet with Android 7.0.

I just sincerely want to know the answer to this question: "is there actually a tablet out there which has provided ABSOLUTELY SOLID reliability from start to end of flight and no matter what flight plans, app features, or changes you make in the DJI GO 4 app
The Nvidia Shield has proved to be a perfect tablet for use with DJI Go.
Back when the OP posted, Shield users who updated to Android 7 were having problems while flyers that stayed back at Android 6 had no problems.
But lately they are reporting that Nvidia have released an update that is working well with Android 7.

Reactions: Nowelly
Im struggling getting going with my Note 8.. Judging from what I've been reading here I may have to go to the dark side and get an Ipad

I'm newly using an iPad Pro 9.7 32g. It's been flawless other than this. With my old tablet which was an Amazon Fire I once made it out to 8800 ft, NOT recording. But I tried a long distance flight last weekend using my newly acquired iPad Pro 9.7 32g tablet and had a video loss at 3800 ft. I've been further at this same location so I'm not sure what the cause is. As for the firmware on the AC and RC, I'm running firmware from like December of 2016 but being I purchased an iPad Pro I had to install the latest DJI Go 4 app.

Been there with an android phone which is in the recommended list (Huawei ascent mate 7) it hanged me Several times at the most important moments, problem is that the devs of the Android app at DJI couldn’t give a flying f* about the quality of the Android version.

As much as I despise apple I got and iPad Pro 9.7 32gb cellular which Has had zero stability problems so far.

App is loading fast, and is very responsive.

My main problem now is signal loss, sometimes even from 10m away, DJI’s latest firmware is just crap.

Ipad Pro 10.5 cellular is future proofed, 600 nits brightness and fits in the P4P controller with any adaptors.

In comparison Ipad mini 4 is 450 nits

The Nvidia Shield has proved to be a perfect tablet for use with DJI Go.
Back when the OP posted, Shield users who updated to Android 7 were having problems while flyers that stayed back at Android 6 had no problems.
But lately they are reporting that Nvidia have released an update that is working well with Android 7.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.