More powerfull repeater?

ginster said:
I'm using Powerex batteries, these things are the best batteries money can buy,
I can run a speedlite all day at a wedding on these things.

I need to do some more testing,
It's probably me,
I tend to have the antenna sort of sideways, rather than vertical
I also tend to keep the copter quite close to the home point, maybe I need it further away from me to extend the range a bit

I heard the the antenna is not very good for the signal going straight upwards?

Ginster - that is absolutely right, if you are going high above home location, and holding the TX in a normal fly position, your signal is going more out than up. you brought up some EXCELLENT points...

Uncle Festers mod seems to favor a more moderate altitude with longer range.

ok here u go 4 all you non believers.could have gone much higher but it just takes so long 2 cum down but im sure it will go 3000+ft high real crap day 2 windy as

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 741
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 734
That's insane !

I need to figure out how to get this range!

When you're at 2000ft, how is you're control antenna orientated?

Thats ace :D

Holy quadcopter Batman, that's incredible! I've been experiencing limited range on the Control Signal too, but just for grins rotated both TX & one PV aerial 90deg and finally got up to 900' at about 300' out, but like I said just for grins as it's tricky matching the polarization (must rotate PV, rotate TX antenna, & sometimes rotate self!)

BTW I stopped at 900' because I lost video on the way up. Even after coming in closer had to restart the app to get it back.

iDrone

ginster said:
That's insane !

i have the controll antenna pointed up so holding the remote the antenna points str8 2 my forehead and its totally blocked by my patch antenna 2.i can bet money on it it will go well over 3000ft high any1 wanna bet? lol

I think you got some kind of broken controller that is pumping out more juice than the ISS.

If the crappy UK weather calms down, I'm going to do some more proper testing on Friday.
I very much would like to see if a dual band antenna would work.

I may buy one of these antennas your using uncle fester for the video link, I notice its still working a treat at 2000ft

uncle fester said:
ginster said:
That's insane !

i have the controll antenna pointed up so holding the remote the antenna points str8 2 my forehead and its totally blocked by my patch antenna 2.i can bet money on it it will go well over 3000ft high any1 wanna bet? lol

Uncle Fester - THANK YOU you are ground breaking in your experimentation! We DO APPRECIATE your findings sir! YOU are making this hobby even more fun for us - THANKS!

I was wondering if dji has a firmware update coming out for the wifi extender . I took mine apart and did not see a pot switch to adjust the output.. I'm thinking there is a way to increase the output through the firmware but it will shorten the battery life .. I'm not a electrical engineer.. If someone is they need to research the board ..I'm getting 800 ft horizontal and 400 ft vertical before I lose communication every time .. I love the vision but I'm getting upset with its non performance. It's not doing what dji said it will do 300 m. I live in the country with no obstacles around ....all flat land and still having problems

Steve

Sorg said:
I was wondering if dji has a firmware update coming out for the wifi extender . I took mine apart and did not see a pot switch to adjust the output.. I'm thinking there is a way to increase the output through the firmware but it will shorten the battery life .. I'm not a electrical engineer.. If someone is they need to research the board ..I'm getting 800 ft horizontal and 400 ft vertical before I lose communication every time .. I love the vision but I'm getting upset with its non performance. It's not doing what dji said it will do 300 m. I live in the country with no obstacles around ....all flat land and still having problems

Steve

Steve, is that 800 feet out and 400 feet up? If so, that's just about 300m exactly.

Yes Todd ... That's correct. I'm wondering if the new regulations coming out are starting to make manufactures have a ceiling of 400 ft which is one of the regs already

lylet said:
This little bugger is the right price, size, and specs. Only bad thing is there are only two antenna ports, so if you want to use it with the 5.8GHz transmitter too, we need to either use duplexer to combine output from the 5.8GHz transmitter with one of the WiFi transceivers, or give up spatial diversity on WiFi by using only one port for WiFi and one port for control.

http://www.l-com.com/wireless-antenna-24-58ghz-10-dbi-dual-polarized-panel-antenna
http://www.l-com.com/coaxial-mmcx-to-n-male-pigtail-19-100-series

I thought the transmitter had two ports inside? Uncle fester is just using one of the two ports right? So wouldn't this antennae work?

uncle fester said:
ok here u go 4 all you non believers.could have gone much higher but it just takes so long 2 cum down but im sure it will go 3000+ft high real crap day 2 windy as

Just for the record, I believed ya. Not sure why you would randomly lie about a freakin quadcopter flying high in the sky. But well done.

I'm new to this hobby, but not to flying. I'm a Flight Engineer in a Chinook helicopter. I like the antennae. Did the mounting brackets come w/ the antennae as well?

julio8442 said:
lylet said:
This little bugger is the right price, size, and specs. Only bad thing is there are only two antenna ports, so if you want to use it with the 5.8GHz transmitter too, we need to either use duplexer to combine output from the 5.8GHz transmitter with one of the WiFi transceivers, or give up spatial diversity on WiFi by using only one port for WiFi and one port for control.

http://www.l-com.com/wireless-antenna-24-58ghz-10-dbi-dual-polarized-panel-antenna

I thought the transmitter had two ports inside? Uncle fester is just using one of the two ports right? So wouldn't this antennae work?
Yes, this antenna is perfect for the repeater. However, it also happens to be a great antenna to use for the controller/transmitter. If you use both ports for 2.4GHz only from the WiFi repeater, you won't have any ports left for the transmitter. Using a duplexer/combiner, use a single antenna port for both.

I have ordered this antenna and connector combo, hopefully it will arrive before the Thanksgiving Holiday so I can test it out and provide pictures and a status report.

lylet said:
julio8442 said:
lylet said:

Yes, this antenna is perfect for the repeater. However, it also happens to be a great antenna to use for the controller/transmitter. If you use both ports for 2.4GHz only from the WiFi repeater, you won't have any ports left for the transmitter. Using a duplexer/combiner, use a single antenna port for both.

I have ordered this antenna and connector combo, hopefully it will arrive before the Thanksgiving Holiday so I can test it out and provide pictures and a status report.

Then I'll hold off on purchasing the antennae till I see what you come up with. I think my neighbors are tired of me buzzing the house when I come home from work

iDrone said:
"I think my neighbors are tired of me buzzing the house when I come home from work"

LOL !
haha I'm not kidding man, I had the **** thing chasing kids that were 2 streets away in my neighborhood the other day and after I looked at the video, one of the kids almost ran into a car. So now the phantom's taking a break..Hahaha

This thread has gone a bit flat

Where's uncle fester? I thought we were going to see some more crazy pics !

I spent ages today looking for a suitable antenna that could do both frequencies at the same time, but it seems there isn't much on the market for this type of thing.

I may just invest in the same one as uncle fester, they're only £33 on amazon

Uncle fester, how easy was the mod to perform on the wifi extender?
Does it do anything that would compromise the warranty or is it reversible?

More screenshots, more screenshots !! over 3000ft :shock:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31