More powerfull repeater?

Yes, a dual band mimo type patch would be good -- as you could feed the control TX channel into one of the 5GHz elements, and use 2 2.4G elements for the wifi channel, just keep the whole thing pointed at the P2V....

For 2.4G these look ok, 120x120mm 9dBi so not too big for a single antenna, or use a pair.. quite cheap if you poke around...

http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/deta ... 2409A#spec

The problem with omni-direction antennas is they don't reduce the noise floor from the areas around you (behind and to the side). Directional antennas work so well because their receive is directional as well, focusing your TX and your RX in a given direction. With RF, the range is determined by the Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR). If you can block out "noise" from other directions, you significantly improve your overall signal.

Uncle Fester, do you also fly with the phone in place on the cradle?

THANKS Lylet - that makes sense about the omni directional....

Yep, as lylet says, antennas don't have gain in the usual sense - they are passive devices - so higher "gain" generally means more directional - therefore more accurate aiming is needed!
On the other hand, spec sheet values for gain can be a tad... optimistic... No substitute for testing! Uncle fester -- did you say what the antenna you used actually is? Link to maker's website would be interesting?

gpauk said:
Yep, as lylet says, antennas don't have gain in the usual sense - they are passive devices - so higher "gain" generally means more directional - therefore more accurate aiming is needed!
On the other hand, spec sheet values for gain can be a tad... optimistic... No substitute for testing! Uncle fester -- did you say what the antenna you used actually is? Link to maker's website would be interesting?

From the Picture, I am pretty sure he is using this one;

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-ANT241 ... L-ANT2414A

and MAYBE this for the cable

http://www.amazon.com/30cm-U-fl-IPEX-RP ... il+to+U.FL

bigfoot21075 said:
gpauk said:

From the Picture, I am pretty sure he is using this one;

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-ANT241 ... L-ANT2414A

and MAYBE this for the cable

http://www.amazon.com/30cm-U-fl-IPEX-RP ... il+to+U.FL
yeap i am using that1 my bad i thought it was 16dbi and that adaptor is the same.yes i fly with my phone in the holder.i just flew it now 3200ft and the ft reader cutout i think that must be its limits?its not as bad as people saying bout being narrow beamwith no worse than the stock antenna

Just proves there's no substitute for getting out and trying stuff! I'm impressed the 5.8GHz control channel is managing that range too - especially firing through the big 2.4G patch!

Must go order an antenna.......

I wonder what solution christianjou is testing?

gpauk said:
If it is the tp link 2414A then that is 240 x 240 x 40 mm, with a beamwidth H & V of just 30 degrees. So fairly accurate aiming is needed...

Yeah but that is 30 degree horizon reference view, that is a fairly wide swath of sky - hardly precision when you have a directional on the view finder. Uncle Festers range is ASTOUNDING to me. I can practice the aim if need be for that kind of return

Uncle Fester, I find it very hard to believe you are getting over 3000ft out of the control system
I am barely pushing 400ft when it starts to drop out on me, and i've even had it drop out at 200-300ft

3000ft seems impossible to me on the stock antenna.

I can't even get close to the 1000ft that its supposed to be rated for.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, I'm in FCC mode

How do you have the antenna orientated, and whereabouts is the copter in relation to you when flying at these dizzy heights :)

I'd love to push it higher

ginster said:
Uncle Fester, I find it very hard to believe you are getting over 3000ft out of the control system
I am barely pushing 400ft when it starts to drop out on me, and i've even had it drop out at 200-300ft

3000ft seems impossible to me on the stock antenna.

I can't even get close to the 1000ft that its supposed to be rated for.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, I'm in FCC mode

How do you have the antenna orientated, and whereabouts is the copter in relation to you when flying at these dizzy heights :)

I'd love to push it higher
u gotta wind the screw on the back of ure controller clockwise its down the right hand corner. when u turn on ure remote u should hear 2 beeps instead of 1

Uncle fester when you fly it out to 3000 ft do a screen shot of the app and post it! Great mod and I will be ordering some antennas to test tonight.

that make sense uncle

being the 5.8 antenna vertical, is easy that you can go far but not so high
ginster, for going higher, you should try pointing the 5.8 antenna horizontal

Yeah but that is 30 degree horizon reference view, that is a fairly wide swath of sky - hardly precision when you have a directional on the view finder. Uncle Festers range is ASTOUNDING to me. I can practice the aim if need be for that kind of return

That's a 30 degree cone for half power points -- ie 15 degrees off aim is half power... As you say, perfectly possible!

An interesting test would be, turn off the cam and the wifi range extender. Fly out and see how far you get with the control channel only, not worrying about the back channel on 2.4G... I guess you'd need a spotter with binocs to see how far you get before RTH kicks in!

Ahhh, I see,
so you're flying away 3200 ft, not up 3200ft.
Now I understand, well kind of

I still don't see that mine will reach this range. I presume you are in totally open surroundings with no interference whatsoever from masts, lines etc

Mine is definately giving 2 beeps

I tend to fly near built up areas though which is going to affect range I suppose.

I am following these threads though, I am well up for modding the stock radios if we can get bigger ranges out of this thing. Even if I don;t use the bigger range but know I am much safer with the closer ranges.
As i say, I have had 'going home' when only about 300ft away ?!?

ginster said:
Ahhh, I see,
so you're flying away 3200 ft, not up 3200ft.
Now I understand, well kind of

I still don't see that mine will reach this range. I presume you are in totally open surroundings with no interference whatsoever from masts, lines etc

Mine is definately giving 2 beeps

I tend to fly near built up areas though which is going to affect range I suppose.

I am following these threads though, I am well up for modding the stock radios if we can get bigger ranges out of this thing. Even if I don;t use the bigger range but know I am much safer with the closer ranges.
As i say, I have had 'going home' when only about 300ft away ?!?
mayb try putting better batteries like energizers in ure remote? nah im fying over a city powerlines
everywhere.u mite have got a dud controller?

I'm using Powerex batteries, these things are the best batteries money can buy,
I can run a speedlite all day at a wedding on these things.

I need to do some more testing,
It's probably me,
I tend to have the antenna sort of sideways, rather than vertical
I also tend to keep the copter quite close to the home point, maybe I need it further away from me to extend the range a bit

I heard the the antenna is not very good for the signal going straight upwards?

This little bugger is the right price, size, and specs. Only bad thing is there are only two antenna ports, so if you want to use it with the 5.8GHz transmitter too, we need to either use duplexer to combine output from the 5.8GHz transmitter with one of the WiFi transceivers, or give up spatial diversity on WiFi by using only one port for WiFi and one port for control.

http://www.l-com.com/wireless-antenna-24-58ghz-10-dbi-dual-polarized-panel-antenna
http://www.l-com.com/coaxial-mmcx-to-n-male-pigtail-19-100-series

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers