Modifying P3A camera for NDVI mapping

Reaction score
Hi,

Is anyone here using a P3A/P for NDVI (Normalized Differenced Vegetation Index) mapping?
I'm thinking of using my P3A for this job. The image capturing and processing can be easily done with the Pix4D or DroneDeploy software. My problem is the IR camera.

I see two options:

1) modifying the existing P3A camera, e.g. with a mod from irprostore.com or others.
2) attaching a second cam such as the Parrot Sequoia or one from sentera.com or others.

Regarding...
...1) I'm not a IR-camera expert, but can a modified camera can do the trick? Isn't it basically just another lens? Is the image quality sufficient for serious NDVI analysis?

...2) A secondary cam would't be attached to a gimbal. It's fixed and is looking vertically on the ground (e.g. Phantom 3 NDVI Upgrade ). So I was wondering: When photos are taken during flight, the P3 tilts into moving direction, so the cam gets a slightly tilted view (correct?). Furthermore, with no gimbal I was wondering whether images might get blurry?

I couldn't find a mod for the P3A but I purchased a P3P and NDVI camera from Aerial Media Pros for the same purpose. I am not sure why they only offer the P3P version. I havent yet tested it because its been crazy windy here. I looked at the Sequoia as well, but its going to be like 3500$ and it was a better purchase for me for proof of concept trying to sell this locally before I made a larger investment.

Hi,
Hi There. Did you find a place to by the lens only in the U.K., I can’t find a seller and I don’t want to post my P3pro to a reseller to get one fitted. Id appreciate your help as I have the same idea, prove concept and practice with an agronomist close to home before spending £1500 on a camera.
Thanks.
Is anyone here using a P3A/P for NDVI (Normalized Differenced Vegetation Index) mapping?
I'm thinking of using my P3A for this job. The image capturing and processing can be easily done with the Pix4D or DroneDeploy software. My problem is the IR camera.

I see two options:

1) modifying the existing P3A camera, e.g. with a mod from irprostore.com or others.
2) attaching a second cam such as the Parrot Sequoia or one from sentera.com or others.

Regarding...
...1) I'm not a IR-camera expert, but can a modified camera can do the trick? Isn't it basically just another lens? Is the image quality sufficient for serious NDVI analysis?

...2) A secondary cam would't be attached to a gimbal. It's fixed and is looking vertically on the ground (e.g. Phantom 3 NDVI Upgrade ). So I was wondering: When photos are taken during flight, the P3 tilts into moving direction, so the cam gets a slightly tilted view (correct?). Furthermore, with no gimbal I was wondering whether images might get blurry?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20