Mission Planner (FPV Camera – iOS Waypoints App) Available Now

I am about to head out to test fly. I will check and see how accurate this is in mission planner.

I have never had a problem with really big altimeter drift in my P3P in about 65 flights. I would say it has always been within a meter or 2.

Really? This doesn't track with any other app or normal flying with the P3P. If I fly out a mile or more and fly back at a particular height it P3 is still at that height when it gets back, or at least very close. Maybe I'm misunderstanding? It seems your saying that if I set the P3 to fly at 60feet there's a good chance it'll be in the ground in 10 min if I'm not paying attention. Right?

Why aren't all the other apps having the same problem then? Not trying to criticize, just trying to understand.
It depends on various aircraft and VPS. When VPS is on and you fly back about to land (within 12 meters altitude), altimeter should report pretty accurate. However, when we tested flying a 15 minutes mission with the last waypoint set at 30 meter altitude and VPS off, the actual height of the last waypoint is about 10-15 meters though altimeter reported 30m.

I think you may test to turn off VPS and fly with DJI GO app. After 10-15 minutes flight and hover about 3 meters (10ft) height, then check the height reading in GO.

Last edited:
I am about to head out to test fly. I will check and see how accurate this is in mission planner.

I have never had a problem with really big altimeter drift in my P3P in about 65 flights. I would say it has always been within a meter or 2.
Yes. I agree with you. I've never had an issue. This seems a bit strange to me.

It depends on various aircraft and VPS. When VPS is on and you fly back about to land (within 12 meters altitude), altimeter should report pretty accurate. However, when we tested flying a 15 minutes mission with the last waypoint set at 30 meter altitude and VPS off, the actual height of the last waypoint is about 10-15 meters though altimeter reported 30m.

I think you may test to turn off VPS and fly with DJI GO app. After 10-15 minutes flight and hover about 3 meters (10ft) height, then check the height reading in GO.
Sure I can test this but why would I want to turn the VPS off?

Also, wouldn't a lot of people be running int the ground or low objects if they were really having this big of accuracy variations? Sorry but it's still not adding up for me. I've been flying/building DJI aircraft with NAZA and NAZA 2 for 3 years now and haven't seen this type of altitude inaccuracy. You might want to look into it deeper. Oh yeah, I've also used the original ground station (wish I could have that with P3) for long multi waypoint, speed, distance, altitude, etc flights without seeing this issue. Now that I remember that it makes me even more suspicious. That was on old hardware and SW.

Sure I can test this but why would I want to turn the VPS off?

Also, wouldn't a lot of people be running int the ground or low objects if they were really having this big of accuracy variations? Sorry but it's still not adding up for me. I've been flying/building DJI aircraft with NAZA and NAZA 2 for 3 years now and haven't seen this type of altitude inaccuracy. You might want to look into it deeper. Oh yeah, I've also used the original ground station (wish I could have that with P3) for long multi waypoint, speed, distance, altitude, etc flights without seeing this issue. Now that I remember that it makes me even more suspicious. That was on old hardware and SW.
VPS ultrasonic is in effect within 12m or so. If I fly to 50m height (reading from the app), P3 uses barometer and GPS to identify the height, instead of VPS. The actual height could be only 35m, but it's hard to tell the difference by visual. Without VPS, it's easier to know the accuracy with lower altitude.

This inaccurate altitude issue has been around in P2V and P2V+ (without VPS) since I flew P2V back to 2013. Many flyers are aware P2V/P2V+ (Vision app) reporting 5-15m altitude before takeoff if you search P2V+ forum.

The previous notes is just to remind beta testers paying a bit attention of setting waypoint height.

Tried a mission this morning. I noticed that,like the DJI Go App, you can override the speed by using the right control stick. With enough back stick you can actually make it back up through the mission.This is a great feature to have if you're following someone on a bicycle. The problem I was having is that the stick input is too sensitive. The mission had a set speed of 4.8 mph and it was difficult to go slower without going backwards. Is there a way to adjust this sensitivity?
Thanks

I managed to crash the app while I was adding waypoints. Is there a file that I need to get and then send it to you?

I managed to crash the app while I was adding waypoints. Is there a file that I need to get and then send it to you?
Did the same. Planned a mission and when switching from map to camera the app crashed.

It has only occured with one specific saved mission.

Got the file saved if you want to check it out.

If this happens during flight will the mission continue?

Downloaded the bata and created a few simple targeted waypoints for testing today.
I need to get a few more flights in but was able to get 4 this afternoon.
So far here's what I like and don't like.

• I have the paid version of FPV Camera so having the same look and feel to the mission planner is nice.
• Easy to set waypoints and targets
• ALT setting for each waypoint
• ALT of each waypoint displayed on the waypoint
• Of course the ability to work offline.
• Ability to action the P3 at each waypoint

Don't Like (need more flights to quantify, just initial observations)
• P3 seems to move abruptly and not to fluid (setting was on M corner)
• In one frame camera picked up landing leg - as it moved so abruptly. (Never had this happen before)
• The above was flying a 636ft diamond pattern
• Indicator on map for RC is off and does not show the correct position. But when checked in DJI AP it shows the correct position. Did not have this issue in the paid version of FPV Camera

I'll get some more flights in and report back.

-Jimmy

OK did some testing today.

Worked very well intuitive simple interface.

2 Problems:
1. I am unable to set return home in the advanced settings. I switched to imperial and tried to change the value on the slider. No numbers appear. When I go back in even quitting the program, the value of the slider is all the way left and no number displayed.

2. The program crashed on me when I tried to switch from big view on map to big view video, this was in flight. The app just disappeared, so I switched to atti and flew back and landed. Relaunched the app and flew the same mission no problem, I did not try switching again. I can post a video of this flight if FVFlyer wants me to. I recorded the whole flight including the relaunch and successful completion.

Observations:

The program worked very well, the video had one minor glitch, at one point betveen waypoint it suddenly tilted down 5 degrees or so and then right back up a gain, I have video of this as well.

Other than that I am very impressed by the App.

One great thing I found is the missions are exportable through iTunes, so you can back them up and possible share them. They are in a folder called "waypoints" and the names I gave them are there. Nice, the files are very easy to interpret.

The one App crash was really no problem. Just be ready to take over and fly back.

One other Note. If you press the left button on the back (I usually have set set to tilt down) a dialog box comes up and asks if you want to launch GOapp, I cancelled that, it happened in flight and caused no problems.

I found Altitude changed 3' (1M) from the start of a quick 2 minute flight. I commanded 6' altitude at the last waypoint and it ended at 3'. Not a major deviation. But we warned of possibly much greater altimeter drift.

I will post some vids soon. Al in all very impressive. I will definitely buy this app. The most intuitive I have tried yet. I like the fact you can create missions and come back to them later and possible even share them.

Can you save the mission and post the mission file? Mission files are located under Documents/waypoints folder, and you may extract it via iTunes (or third-party software) on PC/Mac.

Did the same. Planned a mission and when switching from map to camera the app crashed.

It has only occured with one specific saved mission.

Got the file saved if you want to check it out.

If this happens during flight will the mission continue?
We plan to add an "Email" feature to send a saved mission by email. Please post the mission file to let us check.

If the app crash during mission flight, the mission will continue. You may simply re-open the app, and it should be back to normal.

It's recommended to set Finish to "RTH" in case of lost control signal or app crash during the mission.

Downloaded the bata and created a few simple targeted waypoints for testing today.
I need to get a few more flights in but was able to get 4 this afternoon.
So far here's what I like and don't like.

• I have the paid version of FPV Camera so having the same look and feel to the mission planner is nice.
• Easy to set waypoints and targets
• ALT setting for each waypoint
• ALT of each waypoint displayed on the waypoint
• Of course the ability to work offline.
• Ability to action the P3 at each waypoint

Don't Like (need more flights to quantify, just initial observations)
• P3 seems to move abruptly and not to fluid (setting was on M corner)
• In one frame camera picked up landing leg - as it moved so abruptly. (Never had this happen before)
• The above was flying a 636ft diamond pattern
• Indicator on map for RC is off and does not show the correct position. But when checked in DJI AP it shows the correct position. Did not have this issue in the paid version of FPV Camera

I'll get some more flights in and report back.

-Jimmy
Thanks a lot for the feedback.

1. P3 moved abruptly or "camera picked up landing leg" was probably due to too windy or high speed. You may try to lower the Speed especially at high altitude. It could be very windy or a gust at 600ft altitude, while there is mild wind on the ground.
2. If "Indicator" is referring to pilot point, then you may set "Combine Home/Pilot Point" in Settings | Navigation Map. This usually happens on Wifi only iPad without GPS built-in.

OK did some testing today.

Worked very well intuitive simple interface.

2 Problems:
1. I am unable to set return home in the advanced settings. I switched to imperial and tried to change the value on the slider. No numbers appear. When I go back in even quitting the program, the value of the slider is all the way left and no number displayed.

2. The program crashed on me when I tried to switch from big view on map to big view video, this was in flight. The app just disappeared, so I switched to atti and flew back and landed. Relaunched the app and flew the same mission no problem, I did not try switching again. I can post a video of this flight if FVFlyer wants me to. I recorded the whole flight including the relaunch and successful completion.

Observations:

The program worked very well, the video had one minor glitch, at one point betveen waypoint it suddenly tilted down 5 degrees or so and then right back up a gain, I have video of this as well.

Other than that I am very impressed by the App.

One great thing I found is the missions are exportable through iTunes, so you can back them up and possible share them. They are in a folder called "waypoints" and the names I gave them are there. Nice, the files are very easy to interpret.

The one App crash was really no problem. Just be ready to take over and fly back.

One other Note. If you press the left button on the back (I usually have set set to tilt down) a dialog box comes up and asks if you want to launch GOapp, I cancelled that, it happened in flight and caused no problems.

I found Altitude changed 3' (1M) from the start of a quick 2 minute flight. I commanded 6' altitude at the last waypoint and it ended at 3'. Not a major deviation. But we warned of possibly much greater altimeter drift.

I will post some vids soon. Al in all very impressive. I will definitely buy this app. The most intuitive I have tried yet. I like the fact you can create missions and come back to them later and possible even share them.
Thank you for the feedback.

1. I'm unaware of "set return home in the advanced settings" in FPV Camera app, or you are referring to DJI GO app? In Mission Planner, you may set Finish to RTH upon completion of mission (as shown below).

Can you post a screenshot to show "the value of the slider is all the way left and no number displayed"?

12065870_641381712631305_427851559053256429_n.jpg

2. If the app crashed during mission flight, you don't need to take over and the mission will continue though Auto-Tilt is disabled. Simply relaunch the app to re-enable Auto-Tilt and keep monitoring the flight. Please post the video to share with us.

We plan to add "Email" feature to send mission files by email as backup or share with friends. We are exploring to sync mission files across iDevice via iCloud, but this is not the priority at this stage.

Thank you for the feedback.

1. I'm unaware of "set return home in the advanced settings" in FPV Camera app, or you are referring to DJI GO app? In Mission Planner, you may set Finish to RTH upon completion of mission (as shown below).

Can you post a screenshot to show "the value of the slider is all the way left and no number displayed"?

12065870_641381712631305_427851559053256429_n.jpg

2. If the app crashed during mission flight, you don't need to take over and the mission will continue though Auto-Tilt is disabled. Simply relaunch the app to re-enable Auto-Tilt and keep monitoring the flight. Please post the video to share with us.

We plan to add "Email" feature to send mission files by email as backup or share with friends. We are exploring to sync mission files across iDevice via iCloud, but this is not the priority at this stage.

This page:
Screen Shot 2015-11-04 at 20.33.01.jpg

OIC, if the app is not connected to RC/P3, you are unable to set RTH altitude. RTH altitude is set and stored on the aircraft, instead of the app.
OK that makes sense. You may want to make a note of that on the page in the setup. Does this apply to different advanced settings as well?

I will post video tomorrow. I really like this App.

Can you save the mission and post the mission file? Mission files are located under Documents/waypoints folder, and you may extract it via iTunes (or third-party software) on PC/Mac.
I had to add the .txt to get the forum software to accept it as an upload. When it crashed I was going back and forth between the waypoint and target screens. The kind of behavior you expect from a newbie; kind trying to feel my way not really understanding what I was doing. I like how it works though.

Attachments

• test.wp.txt
    1,012 bytes · Views: 400
  • test.wpt.txt
    1.6 KB · Views: 321
Tried a mission this morning. I noticed that,like the DJI Go App, you can override the speed by using the right control stick. With enough back stick you can actually make it back up through the mission.This is a great feature to have if you're following someone on a bicycle. The problem I was having is that the stick input is too sensitive. The mission had a set speed of 4.8 mph and it was difficult to go slower without going backwards. Is there a way to adjust this sensitivity?
Thanks
To lower RC sticks sensitivity, I think you can adjust "Gain & Expo Tuning" in DJI GO app.

FYI, if Heading set to "Forward" in Setup, you can yaw the aircraft by RC during mission flight, but couldn't yaw if set to "WP". As you noticed, you can always control the speed by RC pitch (right-stick forward/backward), though RC roll (right-stick left/right) has no effect during mission flights.

Thanks a lot for the feedback.

1. P3 moved abruptly or "camera picked up landing leg" was probably due to too windy or high speed. You may try to lower the Speed especially at high altitude. It could be very windy or a gust at 600ft altitude, while there is mild wind on the ground.
2. If "Indicator" is referring to pilot point, then you may set "Combine Home/Pilot Point" in Settings | Navigation Map. This usually happens on Wifi only iPad without GPS built-in.

Thanks for the follow up.

Just to clarify
1) wind was 10.3mph at time of flight. Also the 600 feet referred to distance not altitude - that's why I mentioned it was a tight diamond pattern.

2) iPad mini 2 retina with cellular and gps built in model# MF116LL/A

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl