Message "Warning - Battery: Cell Broken" in flight - complete shut down

Reaction score
So I'm new to this forum and would appreciate any insight into an incident that happened this week. I was flying my P4, it was cold - about 20 degrees F., but I've flown in colder weather before. I flew for about 8 minutes and brought the bird home to take some still pictures on the ground. I took off again with about 60% battery level left. 5 minutes into this second flight, with the battery level at 40%, I get a "Warning - Battery: Cell Broken" message, then the aircraft completely disconnects -- drops from 390 ft. straight down. Luckily it landed on an empty golf course in the snow. (It was not snowing while I was flying. It had stopped an hour earlier.) I've been flying for a year and never had anything like this happen. Flight log is posted on HealthyDrones here: http://tinyurl.com/zlc9kcb
The camera broke off the body of the aircraft and the body and landing gear are cracked and damaged, but I can still power it up. A screen capture of the "battery screen" is attached. Crazy, everything looks fine now with the battery. Any ideas on what may have happened here? The only thing I can think of that may have caused a problem is the cold, but like I said, I've flown in colder conditions without problems.

Any insight is appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_0091 2.PNG
    IMG_0091 2.PNG
    124.7 KB · Views: 600
Please upload your TXT flight log here and post a link back here.

I had that exact same error on my P4P on the second flight. I used one of my old P4 batteries that had only 20 charge cycles on it. DJI told me to send the battery back for a warranty replacement immediately. Luckily I didn't drop from the sky but I am interested to see the flight log from the first flight on the battery, I bet you had major deviations the whole time.

I had that exact same error on my P4P on the second flight. I used one of my old P4 batteries that had only 20 charge cycles on it. DJI told me to send the battery back for a warranty replacement immediately. Luckily I didn't drop from the sky but I am interested to see the flight log from the first flight on the battery, I bet you had major deviations the whole time.

Here are the logs for both the first flight:
Phantom Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

...and the fatal flight.
Phantom Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

Looks like the devastation was above the limit on 3 separate occasions, I've never had this but does it not come up with a warning or anything like this?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Looks like the devastation was above the limit on 3 separate occasions, I've never had this but does it not come up with a warning or anything like this?

No prior warnings whatsoever! That's what I'm trying to figure out. How can I prevent this from happening in the future. Having the bird drop to the ground like 3.04 lbs. of bricks doesn't instill me with confidence. Is there anything I should be doing for regular battery maintenance? Anyway I could know if the battery has the potential for this kind of failure? Could it have anything to do with the cold? This battery had only been though 15 total charge cycles.

No prior warnings whatsoever! That's what I'm trying to figure out. How can I prevent this from happening in the future. Having the bird drop to the ground like 3.04 lbs. of bricks doesn't instill me with confidence. Is there anything I should be doing for regular battery maintenance? Anyway I could know if the battery has the potential for this kind of failure? Could it have anything to do with the cold? This battery had only been though 15 total charge cycles.

When I got the same warning but without dropping to the ground I was flying in the cold and I had just put it in sports mode and then applied full throttle.

Are you filing a warranty claim with DJI since the battery is so new and now there are broken pieces to your aircraft?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

You're asking the right questions.

Did it have something to do with the cold? It might. The operating temp range of the P4 is 32-104F (0-40C), so you were quite a bit below that. Just because it worked before, doesn't mean it will always work.

Since the 20F temps you were flying in will be in the logs, DJI is unlikely to warranty the aircraft since it was flown outside the specified operating parameters, which sucks. Maybe you'll get lucky :)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4